Are you a libertarian?

In the sense that I think the fucking government should stay out of my life I could be considered libertarian.

It's not the government's business if I smoke, drink, do drugs, eat trans fats, or drink 55 gallons of soda a day.

IMO as long as no one is harmed and no one's rights are violated people should be able to do whatever they want.

I do not however agree with the libertarian open border platform (which seems to be Obama's platform as well). I think our borders should be impenetrable.

As a libertarian, I don't get the open borders thing either. I don't see how that expands my liberty, it appears quite the reverse.

It is based on the idea that people should be free to move where they want without caring too much about limits, like borders. So that people are free to enter and leave the country.
An open border would mean more freedom, no restrictions like borders anymore.

And this is where Libertarians and most of America part ways. Crack and heroine and meth have much, much higher dependencies than alcohol or pot. They have far more negative social consquences that more than outweigh whatever benefit they bring, if any.

Crack and meth would no more likely exist under decrim or legalization than does bath tub gin exist today.

Note: methamphetamine was LEGAL recently. As in: there are people posting here who were ALIVE when it was!

As a libertarian, I don't get the open borders thing either. I don't see how that expands my liberty, it appears quite the reverse.

"To remind him that our ancestors, before their emigration to America, were the free inhabitants of the British dominions in Europe, and possessed a right, which nature has given to all men, of departing from the country in which chance, not choice has placed them, of going in quest of new habitations, and of there establishing new societies, under such laws and regulations as to them shall seem most likely to promote public happiness."

Thomas Jefferson, A Summary View of the Rights of British America

In the sense that I think the fucking government should stay out of my life I could be considered libertarian.

It's not the government's business if I smoke, drink, do drugs, eat trans fats, or drink 55 gallons of soda a day.

IMO as long as no one is harmed and no one's rights are violated people should be able to do whatever they want.

I do not however agree with the libertarian open border platform (which seems to be Obama's platform as well). I think our borders should be impenetrable.

It is based on the idea that people should be free to move where they want without caring too much about limits, like borders. So that people are free to enter and leave the country.
An open border would mean more freedom, no restrictions like borders anymore.

I get the pie in the sky concept, I don't get how a libertarian could believe in reality it possibly works that way. Particularly in our welfare State, we are being buried.

The only time it would make any sense would be for countries with similar cultural values AND economic prosperity. Otherwise, it's going to be a flow in one direction and the receiver will get buried. Like we are.

It works in Western Europe, it works between the US and Canada for that reason. It does not work with the US and Mexico/Latin America.

"To remind him that our ancestors, before their emigration to America, were the free inhabitants of the British dominions in Europe, and possessed a right, which nature has given to all men, of departing from the country in which chance, not choice has placed them, of going in quest of new habitations, and of there establishing new societies, under such laws and regulations as to them shall seem most likely to promote public happiness."

Thomas Jefferson, A Summary View of the Rights of British America

I'm not seeing a point to the British coming here freely

Forum List

Back