Are you a Christian or a Follower of Christ?

Hasn't anyone ever read Corinthians?

Paul had a lot to say about assholes within the church who kibbitz over things like this.

...is; what will make you smarter-

1) hitting your head with a hammer

2) running head first into a brick wall

They will both make you smarter, just as believing in God will get you to an imaginary place for all of eternity.

...is; what will make you smarter-

1) hitting your head with a hammer

2) running head first into a brick wall

They will both make you smarter, just as believing in God will get you to an imaginary place for all of eternity.

Gee, that was quite profound. :lol:

If one's religion is based only on what the Bible says, Jesus is the "son of God" and it's never stated or insinuated that Jesus is God.

Before moses was, I AM
he who knows me knows the father
the whole father, dove, son scene
there are probably more out there, but that's all I can think of

The trinity was a non-Biblical creation of the Council of Nicea
Genesis: Let us make man in our image...
OT: See ' the Angel of God' (capitalizationis important
NTL: Again, the whole dove scene where they talk about the holy spirit

I am a member of a Christian church.

Heresy! The bible only mentions one church, which is the body of christ

People, I should not know more about your religion than you do. This is pathetic- it's also why people stopped trying to convert me:eusa_whistle:

First off.......you should actually look in the Torah (first 5 books of the Bible), and should also have it translated from Hebrew to English for you by a rabbi or scholar if you don't speak Hebrew.

HaShem (God) told us in the Torah, that He made mankind in His own image. But, if you look into the nature of God, you would also see that God is both male and female.

As far as only "one church"? Well.......might wanna look at that again as well. You DO realize that Jesus was Jewish, and worshiped in the Hebrew faith, and was killed when He went to visit the Temple during Passover celebration.

So.......what does that make the Temples of the Jews? A false church?

Careful how you answer that one.

Really?

In the Bible he's quoted talking about it 11 times and ~48 more in conjunction with money and how it leads you away from faith and to Hell.

Yes. There arent even that many references in the New Testament, let alone the Gospels.

And a number of them are mistranslations. There are several different words that translate to hell in English. Unfortunately, they all have real different meanings that are quite lost in our language simply because of ignorance.

Did your "Bible as Literature" class tell you that. :eusa_whistle:

Most people seek refuge in "mistranslations" as if there's any such thing in the Bible. The Bible has been combed over so vehemently with such fine teeth that it is impossible for you to not be able to inform yourself about what Jesus was actually talking about.

And you have to be pretty asinine to believe that Seminary students do not know ancient Greek and Hebrew and are unable to discern these things for themselves and pass them on to us.

Or to write them in various study Bibles.

Hey.....dipstick called evangelical.......ever speak a foreign language, or are you one of those hacks that thinks everyone speaks English? If you DO speak a language other than English (and in addition to), then you would know that for some things, you have to use approximate translations rather than the actual meaning.

Now......the Torah and subsequently the Bible was translated from Hebrew (it's original language), to Greek, and then from Greek into Latin, where the Catholic church (bunch of pagan idiots), then translated it from Latin into English.

Ever play the game Telephone? If so, you would understand even better (without having to speak another language), how just telling something from one person to the other changes what the original said.

Personally? I think you're just another blowhard like that failed priest named Yukon who hangs around here.......

Epic fail douchebag.

An interesting new article:

Christian Versus Follower of Jesus | Newsweek BeliefWatch: Lisa Miller | Newsweek.com

Now, as the Christian world continues to refine its identity, another label is gaining currency: "follower of Jesus." It is gaining among the young. On Facebook, more than 900 groups use some variation of "follower of Jesus." The tag is also popular among people in the so-called fellowship movement—small, collegial groups that regularly meet for ecumenical prayer. (The weekly prayer breakfasts in Washington—one for senators, another for members of the House—are the most prominent example, but such fellowships are common at corporations too.) "Follower of Jesus" has at least two advantages over "Christian" or "evangelical," its boosters say. First, it doesn't carry baggage. You can wear it abroad, in Islamic countries, or at home with your Jewish or Buddhist friends, without causing offense. Second, it distances the bearer from the culture wars that have made American politics so divisive. David Durenberger, the former Republican senator from Minnesota, puts it this way. "As my party in particular has begun to characterize its base as 'Christian' and to express its values as 'Christian' values … it has been really important to identify myself as a follower of Jesus." The syndicated columnist Cal Thomas adds that "follower of Jesus" has the virtue of reflecting biblical truth: the earliest Christians called themselves "followers of the Way."

While many Christians applaud this effort to transcend labels and history, some also worry that "follower of Jesus" diverts people from the fundamentals. "Two questions constantly come up," says Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary. "The first is Christology. What about the full divinity of Christ? How much can you keep that in the background? Second, what's the role of the church in all this?" Brehm admits, guiltily, that he left his longtime church five years ago and is still shopping. For the time being, he finds communion in regular meetings with fellow followers of Jesus: "That's real church." To accusations that he's letting identity politics overshadow Christian tradition, Brehm delivers what he believes to be his knockout punch: Jesus, after all, said, "Follow me."

Two questions really jump out for me here:

1)Why are people always trying to relabel themselves? Why are the ashamed of what they are?

2)Why do you want to keep the full divinity of Christ in background?

i don't believe in it, but i believe jesus was a great teacher. if i'm wrong, i think he'll get over it.

Hi Newby:

That was a very nice post, but it failed to address my question. Does being a Christian make you more 'moral' than other people?

You can ask the same question to different professing Christians and receive a series of 'yes' and 'no' answers. You are assuming that there are only Christians and unbelievers doomed to hell and the lake of fire, when in reality that is not the truth at all. God has a myriad of different 'dispensations' (Vine's definition) with a variety of human and angelic hosts and the members of Christ's Body (Church #2) represents just one of them. The difference is that the natural unregenerate man (1Cor. 2:14) has only 'one' nature with which he was born, but the true believer in our gospel has received a new inner man (Rom. 7:22, 2Cor. 4:16, Eph. 3:16 = Fig 1) that Paul describes as "Christ IN You" and "this mystery among the Gentiles." Colossians 1:27. Some among us are "new creatures" (2Cor. 5:16-17) 'IN' Christ Jesus (right side of diagram) and the majority simply are not. Period. My work on "The Mystery Explained" includes about 700 pages of manuscript and 80 diagrams here if anybody is interested . . .

I'm a Christian as well, and if you have accepted Jesus into your heart, asked for forgiveness and were baptized in His name, then it doesn't matter what label you give yourself.

No sir. You are a 'professing' Christian that has 'obviously' mixed the "Two Gospels" together and now cannot even begin to describe the difference using Scripture or anything else. You are describing a 'works-based' fake gospel that has NOTHING to do with becoming a member of Christ's Body at all. God either sends the 'preacher' (Rom. 10:14-17) with 'our gospel' (#2) 'and' the Holy Spirit 'IN' that preacher hands you the 'faith of Jesus' (Rom 3:26 = study the Greek) to actually "believe" (Eph. 1:13-14), so the Holy Spirit can baptize you into Christ (Gal. 3:27 = Fig 2); OR, all of your pathetic WORKS finds you baptized very much into something else!

Diagram

Click on the diagram to see a picture of the Natural Man in Figure 1 and the member of Christ's Body (like me) in Figure 2 'and' a "Son of Disobedience" in Figure #3 that represents the "MANY" professing Christians in the world right now only thinking they are saved. Roman Catholicism 'and' Greek Orthodoxy 'and' modern-day Protestantism represent the "MANY" on the wide and paved and luxurious road to destruction and they will be the very last 'servants of righteousness' serving their 'angel of light' (2Cor. 11:14-15) to ever figure that out . . .

'IN' Christ Jesus right this moment,

Terral

Last edited:
Hi Del:

i don't believe in it, but i believe jesus was a great teacher. if i'm wrong, i think he'll get over it.

Wrong! Jesus Christ claims to be the "Only Begotten Son of God" (John 3:16), so He is either the "Son of God" like He claims (John 10:36, Rev. 2:18), OR 'he' is very much A LIAR :)eusa_liar:). Period.

There is no room in the middle for Jesus Christ to be any mere 'teacher' . . .

GL,

Terral

Hi Del:

Wrong! Jesus Christ claims to be the "Only Begotten Son of God" (John 3:16), so He is either the "Son of God" like He claims (John 10:36, Rev. 2:18), OR 'he' is very much A LIAR :)eusa_liar:). Period.

There is no room in the middle for Jesus Christ to be any mere 'teacher' . . .

GL,

Terral

yes, there is. sorry you disagree, but i'm sure i'll get over it.

Before moses was, I AM
he who knows me knows the father
the whole father, dove, son scene
there are probably more out there, but that's all I can think of
Where is it said that the father and the son are the same being?

Genesis: Let us make man in our image...
In the Qur'an, Allah "describes" Himself and His actions in the first person singular, the first person plural, and the third person singular. I'm assuming that the Hebrew language in the OT operated according to similar rules.

Certainly We have revealed to you a Book which will give you eminence. Do you not then understand?

And We created not the heaven and the earth and what is between them for sport.

Again, why must it be assumed that the "son" and the "holy spirit" aren't distinct entities? Where is it said that they aren't?

People, I should not know more about your religion than you do.
My religion isn't being discussed. :eusa_whistle:

I'm mos def a follower of Christ. I wish he was here today to hold me and reassure me, I know he would, everything I've read shows what a great guy he was. I'm sure he would have mercy on me and hold me and tell me everything was going to be ok.

I hate followers. They stick folks in ovens and then they pretend it's normal. How smarmy, and unresolved. Blame and run. It's the Chrstian thing to do, after all. Look the other way, it's what Jesus would do.

I hate followers. They stick folks in ovens and then they pretend it's normal. How smarmy, and unresolved. Blame and run. It's the Chrstian thing to do, after all. Look the other way, it's what Jesus would do.

Everybody's a follower of something whether they like it or not. You're certainly no different. :eusa_whistle:

HaShem (God) told us in the Torah, that He made mankind in His own image. But, if you look into the nature of God, you would also see that God is both male and female.

I am by no means a linguist, but i once read that YHWH (as rendered in contemporary English) can be construed as a combination of the past, present, and future forms of 'is'). Can you confirm?

As far as only "one church"? Well.......might wanna look at that again as well. You DO realize that Jesus was Jewish, and worshiped in the Hebrew faith, and was killed when He went to visit the Temple during Passover celebration.

You realize of course, that there are two definitions if 'church'. i purposely used it in the sense of the 'true' church, the body of christ, blahblahblah that is all the 'saved' or whatever that they go on about

Kalam;1178665In the Qur'an said:
Islam is a whole other abomination

Certainly We have revealed to you a Book which will give you eminence. Do you not then understand?

And We created not the heaven and the earth and what is between them for sport.

Again, the plural aspect of deity which can be traced to Genesis 1. The point is that the claims there is no biblical grounds for the trinity are inaccurate

Again, why must it be assumed that the "son" and the "holy spirit" aren't distinct entities?
It implies that they are and are not. Different aspect of the same being or some shit, if I recall

I am by no means a linguist, but i once read that YHWH (as rendered in contemporary English) can be construed as a combination of the past, present, and future forms of 'is'). Can you confirm?

Don't know about the past, present and future thing, but I do know it is the 4 letter name of God, and it is also not supposed to be said except by priests, but the common pronounciation of it is "yood, hey, and a vave and a hey".

But, there are lots of other names too, like HaShem and Elohim.

It's also said that when Lillith (Adam's first wife), wanted to disappear and leave him, she pronounced that name and disappeared.

it is also not supposed to be said except by priests

That's not the teaching of the Torah.That was a practice the jews adapted which grew out of 'do not take the lord's name in vain'. To make sure the dudn't, they never said it- seeming to miss the point of the commandment

Elohim is not a name, but simply a plural form of 'god', according to every source I've every read
Also, Lilith only appears once in the Torah proper, and not by name. Many consider the Talmuds and the Midrash, existing outside of the Torah, to be simply the words of man and not of god

Islam is a whole other abomination
One I'm sure you're hopelessly ignorant of.

Again, the plural aspect of deity which can be traced to Genesis 1. The point is that the claims there is no biblical grounds for the trinity are inaccurate
Why? You used the example of plurals as an argument. The same language is used in a book that strictly forbids doctrines of divine multiplicity such as the trinity, meaning that it doesn't necessarhily imply that the OT "God" has partners.

It implies that tey are and are not. Different aspect of the same being or some shit, if I recall
How is that implied? Again, that was an invention of the Council of Nicea.

Forum List

Back