Are we living in a modern day Egypt?

Way we're marginalizing people of faith in the US validates some of the comparison to ancient Egypt. Way capitalism enslaves us too. Can have your religion, but only to a point, and meanwhile you must work to live. Much like Egypt in Torah. But are we slaves like the Jews in Egypt? Maybe, but only in the loosest metaphorical sense.
Interesting point you bring up. One one hand the Bible talks about the affliction the Hebrew's taskmasters put upon them. On the other hand the people who came out of Egypt are constantly complaining to Moses about how much better they had it in Egypt. In the wilderness they feed on manna, angel's food, their feet did not swell, and their raiment waxed not. In reference to modern conditions when you say 'we' do you really know how the other half lives? If you have no need of God great for you.

I spent a summer 'street-camping.' I wasn't technically homeless, I had one, I just wasn't in it for a few months. But I know how to be poor and thrive, as well as affluent and not let it go to my head.

Interesting

I vividly remember spending three months alone in the wilderness as part of an initiation ritual. It was... enlightening. Now I feel completely comfortable surviving for days or weeks in similar areas, alone, and with Nature. It always feels so much more welcoming now.

I bet you could to the same, if you haven't already. You would likely find it just as insightful as your "street camping" experiences.

Recall finding a nice stream to bathe in. Bought some 99 cent bottle of shampoo and took a much needed bath. :) Hiked down the California coast from SF to Santa Cruz sleeping on the coastal beach. Had prepared well sleeping bag and other gear. Was very comfortable as those things go. Commandeered a derelict Datsun B210 as my mancave :) Hardest thing was finding places to go potty. Walking around at night was an adventure. Made the mistake of wandering onto the beach. The OCEAN beach and met a local. 10 feet maybe and massively obese, almost walked over it in the dark. But it barked. Knew instantly what it was and hauled ass. No more nighttime excusions along the beach. :)

Learned a lot about myself. Even in comparatively desparate times my good nature doesn't get replaced by something more fundamental or primitive. If anything, who we are becomes more pronounced when you have fewer distractions. Had numerous opportunities to steal but didn't, guy I was hanging around with had a couple girls and 'gave me one' but we just talked. Cute and all but I knew this wasn't love. My Mom done raised me right. :)

I spent a summer 'street-camping.' I wasn't technically homeless, I had one, I just wasn't in it for a few months. But I know how to be poor and thrive, as well as affluent and not let it go to my head.
So you believe God will not be coming back?

I don't believe God is sentient. Real, but not sentient like we are. Think what we call God is in fact some as yet undescribed 'super organism.' Maybe the sum consciousness of all life in the universe 'group thinking' reality into existence somehow.

Like what we see with mass intercessory prayer when many pray for a common goal but on steroids and utilizing all living beings in the universe.
So you have awareness of the existence but no understanding. You and millions of agnostics. I suspect a vast majority of people who claim a religion are actually agnostics, i.e. "non-practising".

God is simply the word we use to describe the reality of existence. Can call it anything though. Doesn't have to have a thing to do with religion. That's all invented by us from fairy cake. But we really exist, as does the universe. And I suspect the way systems work is usually counter-intuitive. Religion is what happens when people confront their mortality and begin accepting it by moving through denial (aka theism,) then on to the other coping mechanisms until reaching acceptance (aka atheism.) But existence still exists and is irrefutable. Why's the universe exist, why did it come to be in the first place...And do most people spend so much of their lives wearing digital watches? :)
So you believe the Bible was written by the son of man. (Yes, I realize we have gone over this before but you lose every time without admitting defeat. so...)

Believe the Bible was written by men and women. If I didn't admit defeat it's because I wasn't defeated. First to admit a mistake so I can resume being perfect. :)

Way we're marginalizing people of faith in the US validates some of the comparison to ancient Egypt. Way capitalism enslaves us too. Can have your religion, but only to a point, and meanwhile you must work to live. Much like Egypt in Torah. But are we slaves like the Jews in Egypt? Maybe, but only in the loosest metaphorical sense.

how exactly does having the freedom to do business with others enslave us?

how exactly does having the freedom to do business with others enslave us?
Not a fan of Elizabeth Warren I presume.

So you believe God will not be coming back?

I don't believe God is sentient. Real, but not sentient like we are. Think what we call God is in fact some as yet undescribed 'super organism.' Maybe the sum consciousness of all life in the universe 'group thinking' reality into existence somehow.

Like what we see with mass intercessory prayer when many pray for a common goal but on steroids and utilizing all living beings in the universe.
So you have awareness of the existence but no understanding. You and millions of agnostics. I suspect a vast majority of people who claim a religion are actually agnostics, i.e. "non-practising".

God is simply the word we use to describe the reality of existence. Can call it anything though. Doesn't have to have a thing to do with religion. That's all invented by us from fairy cake. But we really exist, as does the universe. And I suspect the way systems work is usually counter-intuitive. Religion is what happens when people confront their mortality and begin accepting it by moving through denial (aka theism,) then on to the other coping mechanisms until reaching acceptance (aka atheism.) But existence still exists and is irrefutable. Why's the universe exist, why did it come to be in the first place...And do most people spend so much of their lives wearing digital watches? :)
So you believe the Bible was written by the son of man. (Yes, I realize we have gone over this before but you lose every time without admitting defeat. so...)

Believe the Bible was written by men and women. If I didn't admit defeat it's because I wasn't defeated. First to admit a mistake so I can resume being perfect. :)
Let's see, where did we leave off? Oh yeah. Name one person from the same time period who could have written the Bible. It must be a specific[\b] person.

I don't particularly care for anyone pretending to be a minority. Though I try to have charity for all people. Some are just easier than others

I don't particularly care for anyone pretending to be a minority. Though I try to have charity for all people. Some are just easier than others
You consider yourself fairly well versed in the old testament? Do you think this is the kind of economic system the LORD, OT, espoused? Not about the money, about how people treat one another.

no I don't consider myself well versed in the old testament though I try to study it regularly. Much as I try to study all the scriptures we have.

I do know God gave us liberty and stewardship over what He has given us. As well as the wisdom to use it to take care of our needs and the needs of others.

no I don't consider myself well versed in the old testament though I try to study it regularly. Much as I try to study all the scriptures we have.

I do know God gave us liberty and stewardship over what He has given us. As well as the wisdom to use it to take care of our needs and the needs of others.
I was reading through the Old Testament and came across a story that seemed very representative of our modern way of doing business. The story goes there was this guy, Ahab, king of Samaria, and he wanted this other guy's vineyard, Naboth's. So Ahad asks Naboth for it. Naboth says, "The LORD told me I can not give away the inheritance of my fathers." Ahab sulks and his wife sees him sulking. She helps out by getting Naboth stoned to death. Ahad then gets the vineyard he wanted. This seems like how we do business today. Some business guy wants something some politician or lawyer comes along and says, "Leave it all up to me. Just give me a little something you shall have what you want. No one will be the wiser." (Interesting sidenote: I was looking up the story since I forgot who the people's names were. The prophet the LORD sends word to about what happened is Elijah.)

Suppose the oppressed of the world today are the Hebrews of Biblical time. For those who harken to the call of God we will be lead out of Egypt. The fact that the world is falling apart is hardly deniable, although the cause is of some debate.

There is a reason that this concept might be a little unfavourable to many. The one and only true God is the God of the Old Testament, the God of Abraham. That means practically no one gets a pass on this. Not even the 0.2 percent of Jews in the world are by default the modern day Hebrews.

We need Moses to show us to a land of oil. Oh wait! He already did!

I was reading through the Old Testament and came across a story that seemed very representative of our modern way of doing business. The story goes there was this guy, Ahab, king of Samaria, and he wanted this other guy's vineyard, Naboth's. So Ahad asks Naboth for it. Naboth says, "The LORD told me I can not give away the inheritance of my fathers." Ahab sulks and his wife sees him sulking. She helps out by getting Naboth stoned to death. Ahad then gets the vineyard he wanted. This seems like how we do business today. Some business guy wants something some politician or lawyer comes along and says, "Leave it all up to me. Just give me a little something you shall have what you want. No one will be the wiser." (Interesting sidenote: I was looking up the story since I forgot who the people's names were. The prophet the LORD sends word to about what happened is Elijah.)

I know the story. I consider that robbery which is quite like too many in our society engage in. I don't consider that free market capitalism.

in the free market, two or more people come together in a voluntary transaction to better one anothers position.

I know the story. I consider that robbery which is quite like too many in our society engage in. I don't consider that free market capitalism.

in the free market, two or more people come together in a voluntary transaction to better one anothers position.
You like free market but do not like Elizabeth Warren. Somehow I do not understand that.

Forum List

Back