Are there secular reasons against gay marriage or polygamy?

I am going to start another hot topic....
I'm sure most of us know religious reasons but are there any secular reasons against gay marriage? Other than "tradition", I haven't heard of any (counter: slavery was also tradition).
If there are secular reasons against gay marriage, what are they?
What about polygamy? I listened to Dan Savage talk about it a while back and he talked about something like fairness - hoarding of spouses or something similar.
This isn't a slippery slope discussion but often when I talk with religious people about gay marriage, it turns to polygamy and I don't have anything against polygamy. I can only reply back with "the Bible also has polygamy" which is not terribly satisfying. Is polygamy even bad?
Participation is welcome.
polygamy-is-still-illegal1.jpg

My secular argument deals with the method of achieving either one, not the end result. The argument is that there is no "right" to gay marriage that is enforceable by judicial fiat, and they only method to change the marriage contract to recognize either is via State legislative action to change State law.

It will all be legal. Every perversion known to the most deranged mind will be legal. Necropholia will be legal.

Once a culture determines to become degenerate it doesn't stop until it doesn't exist.

Oh NOOOoooooooo!
Sounds like a slippery slope to me

It all started when they allowed blacks and whites to marry

I could have told you

I'm sure most of us know religious reasons but are there any secular reasons against gay marriage? Other than "tradition", I haven't heard of any (counter: slavery was also tradition).
What about polygamy? I listened to Dan Savage talk about it a while back and he talked about something like fairness - hoarding of spouses or something similar.
This isn't a slippery slope discussion but often when I talk with religious people about gay marriage, it turns to polygamy and I don't have anything against polygamy. I can only reply back with "the Bible also has polygamy" which is not terribly satisfying. Is polygamy even bad?

My secular argument deals with the method of achieving either one, not the end result. The argument is that there is no "right" to gay marriage that is enforceable by judicial fiat, and they only method to change the marriage contract to recognize either is via State legislative action to change State law.

History has proven that some states are fucking assholes

They can't be trusted to look out for the rights of the people

A civil polygamous marriage is so very different from a civil monogamous marriage that to make the former legal you would have to enact a full set of new marriage laws specific to polygamous marriage contracts.

Last edited:
Are there are any secular arguments against allowing men to marry pubescent underage girls, even pubescent girls as young as 11 or 12, since some 11- and 12-year-old girls are more mature and smarter than some 18-year-old boys?

If dumb, immature 18-year-old boys can get married, why can't a pubescent 11-year-old girl who is smarter and more mature than some 18-year-old boys get married too? Why should she need her parents' consent if the clueless, immature 18-year-old boy doesn't need his parents' consent? Just change the law to allow pubescent underage girls to marry as long as they are judged by a psychiatrist to be at the same maturity level as the average 18-year-old boy.

Indeed, some "scientists" argue, and have so testified before various government committees in Europe, that pedophiles are "born that way" and that therefore the age of consent should be lowered to 12 or 14. BTW, those scientists are some of the same scientists who claim that gays are born gay.

Between consenting adults?

No one's business.

IMO, we need to protect children and women from abuse from the likes of RW heroesTed Nugent, Warren Jeffs, Phil Robertson.

From the sermon that Robertson preached to a fundie group, it would seem the fundies are now pushing for young girls to be forced into "marriage" with an older man. We also know that Ted Nugent had himself named the guardian of a young girl for the purpose of legalized statutory rape. And of course, we also know fundie morms have been found guilty of child rape.

I really don't care what consenting adults do together. Its just not my business.

But we do need to protect the least among us. We need to protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Dude seems to really hate Ted Nugent.

Maybe he just needs some Nashville pussy

[VIDEO]

Between consenting adults?

No one's business.

IMO, we need to protect children and women from abuse from the likes of RW heroesTed Nugent, Warren Jeffs, Phil Robertson.

From the sermon that Robertson preached to a fundie group, it would seem the fundies are now pushing for young girls to be forced into "marriage" with an older man. We also know that Ted Nugent had himself named the guardian of a young girl for the purpose of legalized statutory rape. And of course, we also know fundie morms have been found guilty of child rape.

I really don't care what consenting adults do together. Its just not my business.

But we do need to protect the least among us. We need to protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Dude seems to really hate Ted Nugent.

Maybe he just needs some Nashville pussy
In Ted's case, underage pussy.

History has proven that some states are fucking assholes

They can't be trusted to look out for the rights of the people

How fascist of you.

Forum List

Back