Are there any good books on Atheism?

evidence?

The Universe itself.

Proves nothing other than that there appears to be a universe.

Care to try again?

I wouldn't normally wade into this kind of discussion but I'm bored, so...

Look around you, all this came from somewhere or something.

Evidence?

Science tells us matter can't just wink into existence, thus science proves there is a creator. :tongue:

Your ignorance is astounding... unless this was an attempt at satire?

Electrons in our brains move at 99% of the speed of light.

At the speed of light, time does not exist.

Our brains slow down our consciousness enough to enter material existence.

This is how our eternal soul operates on the material plane.

A couple of days ago, I came across a person that claimed my "beliefs" were influenced by other Atheists thinkers. That led me to think--'why not read books by atheists thinkers?'

I do not think they have the answer to the question I want--what is the true purpose of religion. But It could be a riot. So I ask--do anyone know of any good Books by Atheists that deals with Atheism?

By the way, I decided to look at "The God Delusion" by R. Dawkins. Open to all suggestions.

Try the writings of Robert Ingersoll. While he was Agnostic, his are very interesting reads.

Evidence?

If you need evidence that we or all of this exists then I think you need to start a new thread.

Science tells us matter can't just wink into existence, thus science proves there is a creator. :tongue:

Are you saying science is wrong?

A couple of days ago, I came across a person that claimed my "beliefs" were influenced by other Atheists thinkers. That led me to think--'why not read books by atheists thinkers?'

I do not think they have the answer to the question I want--what is the true purpose of religion. But It could be a riot. So I ask--do anyone know of any good Books by Atheists that deals with Atheism?

By the way, I decided to look at "The God Delusion" by R. Dawkins. Open to all suggestions.

Anytime you are against Christianity, you are an athiest these days. You cant be your own person with your own opinion because in Christianity, thats unheard of.

Regardless, if you want a good book to read, not so much about athiesm, but about better things in general, read:

Modern Physics and Ancient Faith by Stephen M. Barr

Your Welcome in advance :)

Jamie

evidence?

The Universe itself.

Proves nothing other than that there appears to be a universe.

Care to try again?

Evidence?

a french wave if i ever saw one, your opinion does not defeat his assertion, talk about ignorance!

Anytime you are against Christianity, you are an athiest these days. You cant be your own person with your own opinion because in Christianity, thats unheard of.

Regardless, if you want a good book to read, not so much about athiesm, but about better things in general, read:

Jamie

There are plenty of religious groups that are against Christians, and they're not atheist, so that doesn't really make sense.

And it's not unheard of to be our own persons, though we do "renew our minds" and "put on the mind of Christ". But each of us is unique with God given gifts, lessons and purposes. There are a lot of people that want to be cookie-cutter Christians but the reality is far from it IMO.

Jamie

There are plenty of religious groups that are against Christians, and they're not atheist, so that doesn't really make sense.

And it's not unheard of to be our own persons, though we do "renew our minds" and "put on the mind of Christ". But each of us is unique with God given gifts, lessons and purposes. There are a lot of people that want to be cookie-cutter Christians but the reality is far from it IMO.

There are more people out there who are cookie cutter christians than there are not. I cannot say that all christians act like that.. but the ones that Ive met and discussed with are.

Jamie

I can recommend great atheist books "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" (1883) and "Beyond Good and Evil" (1886) by Friedrich Nietzsche

Then look at his life and the fruit of his philosophy. He took one look at a horse, threw his arms around its neck and went stark raving mad, never able to take care of himself again.

Jamie

There are more people out there who are cookie cutter christians than there are not. I cannot say that all christians act like that.. but the ones that Ive met and discussed with are.

Jamie

Link?

Your anecdotal experience does not equal empirical evidence.

That's completely nonsense. Go to any Church you will find many different people who all have different reasons for being there with their own opinions. There is an old saying that three baptists can come to 5 different conclusions as to what one verse of scripture means. Yeah, real monolithic.

And of course, there are no muslims, jews, pagans, hindus, buddhists, agnostics etc. Its only Christians and athiests. Your point makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Ill put it on my list.

The best book on atheism? How about the book of mormons. One read and if you're not a complete dolt, it'll turn you towards atheism.

Dawkins' book is good, but he doesn't deal with what I believe to be the biggest reason why people DO believe in a supernatural creator: emotion.

Also, humanist texts are great. Same with the philosophers like Hume, Nieztche, etc.

True buddhism deals with how to live without referring to a creator or higher power. It deals more with the human spirit instead of spirituality.

And there are lots of others.

People believe in a creator because there is a creator.

Oh really, that simple, huh?

:wtf:

What a tool :lol:

Dawkins' book is good, but he doesn't deal with what I believe to be the biggest reason why people DO believe in a supernatural creator: emotion.

Also, humanist texts are great. Same with the philosophers like Hume, Nieztche, etc.

True buddhism deals with how to live without referring to a creator or higher power. It deals more with the human spirit instead of spirituality.

And there are lots of others.

People believe in a creator because there is a creator.

Oh really, that simple, huh?

:wtf:

What a tool :lol:

The Universe was created, therefore there was a creator.

The Universe was created

Do you have any proof to support your calim?

therefore there was a creator.

Sodium chloride is created as the result of a chemical reaction and bonding involving sodium and chloride. Who or what is its creator?

Good question.

The Universe was created by a single spark and a hydrogen explosion.

Hydrogen only has two forces, positive and negative.

The creator provided the spark.

Forum List

Back