Are the current Armed Forces force levels enough?

True if we did something that caused the entire rest of the planet to unite against us, the we'll likely have become an evil, evil country.
Not true, and even if it were, it doesn't mean the citizens of the United States should suffer for the government ticking off all the other countries.
That's dumb. So if you were a German during WW2 you would wish Germany was powerful enough to conquer the rest of the planet because your citizens shouldn't suffer just because your government is ticking off other countries?
I'd actually want to start a rebellion, since the government was oppressive. They are a different story, because they didn't treat other countries well, or their own people. Their people were already suffering.

Sure, we have a long rich history of destablizing other nations to gain access to resources and markets, or to undermine the liberty and democracy of others when we don't like what they're up to. Things we'd wail about if done to us.
Personally, I do agree that we should stay out of other nations, but supposedly the government had the best intentions. Our current president is proof that we can't always have a good leader. Sometimes your leader is just totally inept.

If you could make a cogent argument that what you admit to was attributable to one administration or political party you might have a point, but that is clearly not the case. It is intuitively obvious to even the most casual of observers that this is constant foreign policy blundering away of societal resources to line the pockets of global capital corporatists is cannibalizing american society and working class folk.

we also had allies.

if we manage to do something never before done - unite the world in common cause against a single enemy - we wont have done it by being in the right
As I said to the other guy, the general perception would be that we're in the wrong, not that we actually are. That or that they have something to gain by destroying us.
either way no matter the size of the military a world in which the united states is at war with every other nation on the planet is not one i would want. defeat would be the better option
Then move to Russia.
Since we aren't facing and never will face your bizarre scenario i see no reason to move anywhere
Again, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Sure would be awful if we were conquered.

You already have been love.

i don't want you to take this the wrong way. i believe you are sincere in your statement.

that said, i don't think that it's possible for you to still be part of the irr. in fact, I'm about 99% positive. again, i don't doubt your sincerity, just your facts - not that it makes a whit of difference because even if true you would never be recalled for service
I don't ever expect to be recalled either unless there is a national emergency. Normally once you reach 75 you are automatically relieved of all responsibilities and duties. In my case I have a vital MOS and a clearance that requires a debriefing. In the past 18 months since I turned 75 I have not been debriefed nor have I received orders..
meh. you can't be conscripted for life. your irr time was over a very ling time ago.
Maybe I'm AWOL and didn't know it.
lol. always that possibility. have you always informed the irr of your location?
Yes, once a year you have to make an accounting to DOD and report any changes. I called my Army branch (Infantry) a year ago and was told to carry on.

i.e., they got no need for your soft pudgy wrinkled weak kneed constipated shortsighted hot headed tired anxious ass.

That's extremely rude and childish. Ironic that you called several people childish, then proceeded to call names.

By your logic, we should just give up building our military, because supposedly other nations do certain things better. that makes literally no sense.

The USA is outgunned by China in boots on the ground. This should have been MacArthur's first clue to stay away from the Yalu River. He did not so he got his butt kicked all the way back to Seoul by them.

The USA is outgunned by Russia in tanks and arty on the ground. That is why the USA could never win a war in Europe against the Russians.

All of you blowhard war hawk dumbass children need to understand that.

I don't ever expect to be recalled either unless there is a national emergency. Normally once you reach 75 you are automatically relieved of all responsibilities and duties. In my case I have a vital MOS and a clearance that requires a debriefing. In the past 18 months since I turned 75 I have not been debriefed nor have I received orders..
more like 65 not 75.

I'm on the same list.

hossfly gives some good advice, though I personally don't think end times are around the corner.

Ms Aflac above needs to stop quacking and offer some well thought out comments to the OP.

We currently spend about twice as much as the next twenty five countries put together.
I don't see any end times yet. Only the prophesy.
As long as the USA stays in the USA and does not send her forces overseas to be slaughtered like the Romans or the Greeks were, we will do just fine while Europe and/or the Middle East beats the crap out of each other.

more like 65 not 75.

I'm on the same list.
Used to be 55 for enlisted and 65 for officers but it was changed to 75 for both a couple years ago.
Because of the age discrimination laws.

Not true, and even if it were, it doesn't mean the citizens of the United States should suffer for the government ticking off all the other countries.
That's dumb. So if you were a German during WW2 you would wish Germany was powerful enough to conquer the rest of the planet because your citizens shouldn't suffer just because your government is ticking off other countries?
I'd actually want to start a rebellion, since the government was oppressive. They are a different story, because they didn't treat other countries well, or their own people. Their people were already suffering.

Sure, we have a long rich history of destablizing other nations to gain access to resources and markets, or to undermine the liberty and democracy of others when we don't like what they're up to. Things we'd wail about if done to us.
Personally, I do agree that we should stay out of other nations, but supposedly the government had the best intentions. Our current president is proof that we can't always have a good leader. Sometimes your leader is just totally inept.

If you could make a cogent argument that what you admit to was attributable to one administration or political party you might have a point, but that is clearly not the case. It is intuitively obvious to even the most casual of observers that this is constant foreign policy blundering away of societal resources to line the pockets of global capital corporatists is cannibalizing american society and working class folk.
Actually, I didn't specify, it is entirely the Establishment and those that serve it. Obama, the Clinton family, the Bush family, previous establishment servants over decades.

That's extremely rude and childish. Ironic that you called several people childish, then proceeded to call names.

By your logic, we should just give up building our military, because supposedly other nations do certain things better. that makes literally no sense.

The USA is outgunned by China in boots on the ground. This should have been MacArthur's first clue to stay away from the Yalu River. He did not so he got his butt kicked all the way back to Seoul by them.

The USA is outgunned by Russia in tanks and arty on the ground. That is why the USA could never win a war in Europe against the Russians.

Oh, more name calling, so mature. Though, weirdly, it sounds like you're actually making a case that we do need more military funding. "We're outgunned on certain things, SO WE SHOULD FUND THE MILITARY LESS! YEP, YOU'RE ALL DERPS!". Us being outgunned in certain places only further enforces that we need more military funding.

American neo-imperialism has been America's worst foreign policy mistake of the last two presidencies.

American neo-imperialism has been America's worst foreign policy mistake of the last two presidencies.
This actually began with Ike against Stalin.

It has been a cold war strategy ever since.

The pacifistic presidents such as BHO, Carter, and Ford have played it down.

But not any of the others.

Oh, more name calling, so mature. Though, weirdly, it sounds like you're actually making a case that we do need more military funding. "We're outgunned on certain things, SO WE SHOULD FUND THE MILITARY LESS! YEP, YOU'RE ALL DERPS!". Us being outgunned in certain places only further enforces that we need more military funding.
We do not need more military funding you dumb young brat.

We are spending too much already.

We need to climb back into Fortress America and mind our own business.

Not more of the world's policeman.

more like 65 not 75.

I'm on the same list.
Used to be 55 for enlisted and 65 for officers but it was changed to 75 for both a couple years ago.
Well I did not hear about any change to 75.

You can still do admin work at age 75 but I cannot imagine humping a carbine and a pack with ammo and water at that age.

more like 65 not 75.

I'm on the same list.
Well I did not hear about any change to 75.

You can still do admin work at age 75 but I cannot imagine humping a carbine and a pack with ammo and water at that age.
Operations and Intel is my forte. I did my time in the boonies. I'll dig up the 75 stuff.

We do not need more military funding you dumb young brat.

We are spending too much already.

We need to climb back into Fortress America and mind our own business.

Not more of the world's policeman.
No, we shouldn't be the world's policemen, but we do need the most powerful military. You literally just said other countries have military that are better at certain things, and that's a reason, if true, that we need a better military. Our military should be the best at everything.

You're making the case for more funding

You're making the case for more funding
Don't you get it: we could never field enough men in China or enough tanks in Russia. We need to be smarter.

The Defense Department has contingency plans and scenarios for any situation that could crop up. There are adequate amounts of armaments, equipment and reserves and a plan for a draft. . Factories are prepared to go on a war footing at a moments notice. Personnel and war equipment is located strategically around the world and units such as the 82d Airborne Division are a Quick Reaction Force. Currently the one big setback is funding and the House and Senate Armed Service Committees will solve that problem quickly to get Obama off his dead ass.
That's my analysis and opinion.
Any naysayers?

I would also add that increased funding to replace older generation equipment and also to accelerate R&D. Besides being more effective force multipliers, it has the benefit of providing trickle down additional economic benefits such as additional jobs and commercial technology.

The Defense Department has contingency plans and scenarios for any situation that could crop up. There are adequate amounts of armaments, equipment and reserves and a plan for a draft. . Factories are prepared to go on a war footing at a moments notice. Personnel and war equipment is located strategically around the world and units such as the 82d Airborne Division are a Quick Reaction Force. Currently the one big setback is funding and the House and Senate Armed Service Committees will solve that problem quickly to get Obama off his dead ass.
That's my analysis and opinion.
Any naysayers?
i dont know what you mean by saying the house and senate armed forces committees will solve any problem 'to get obama off his dead ass'

what does that even mean?

that said i think we spend too much on active duty personnel. we need to shift that money to build up guard and reserve units.
We have enough NG and Reserves. The Armed Service Committees are the most powerful committees in Congress and if we have to build up they will sway Congress. They always do.
you misunderstood me. I'm saying we need to reduce the size of our active duty forces in favor of guard and reserve units where the roi is much higher

What do you mean a much higher ROI? I'm not calling into question if you are right or not, I am trying to understand what significant ROIs there are.

if that ever happened i would not want the united states to win
True if we did something that caused the entire rest of the planet to unite against us, the we'll likely have become an evil, evil country.

Some of that destabilization also was/is to bring a change for the mutual benefit.

Forum List

Back