Are Republicans competent enough to write legislation?

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
We know that the Texas GOP has rejected critical thinking in schools

Let me google that for you

They claim the passage in their platform was an oversight.

Question I have is, if they can't be trusted to accurately write a platform for their party, can we trust them to write legislation in which the meaning reflects their actual intent?

We already see evidence that the answer is "no". In Louisiana, the majority Republican legislature recently passed laws for school vouchers. Sounds good to most Republicans, right? Until they find out the law allows the vouchers to be used to send kids to schools where they are stuck in front of a television all day being taught about Jesus instead of learning, or instructed using books which say that the KKK wasn't really that bad. In Missippifee, a year or so ago, they tried to define a fetus as a person under the law. The law did not pass when the few sane elements within the right wing anti-abortion movement itself realized this law would do wildly absurd things, like prevent the legal abortion of an ectopic pregnancy, in which the embryo implants outside the uterus. In this type of pregnancy, it is physically impossible for the embryo to survive, yet the mother often dies if it is not aborted. One could also ponder the other legal absurdities of the law - as pregnant woman could not be sent to prison, for instance, because it would also be a criminal punishment to the legal person inside of her uterus - a pregnant woman, even if advised by her physician that its acceptable to have a glass of wine at dinner late in the pregnancy - could not have that wine, as it would bet illegal distribution of alcohol to the legal minor person inside of her. I also would be a lot of libertarian Republicans are regretting some of the provisions in the PATRIOT Act.

So can you righties even write laws that mean what you intend them to mean? Which is more dangerous - Democrats writing laws that mean what they intend - or righties writing laws that could mean anything, including criminalizing an abortion of a pregnancy in which the fetus has a 0% chance of survival ?

I would submit that the current balance of power is appropriate to mitigate the Republicans who can't write laws while at the same time preventing the left from running wild.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back