Are Nukes Good?

...can make the argument that other strategies could have been more effective that what was done....

I don't think the case can be made for "more effective," but surely it can be made that alternatives did exist.

Sure.

But if you want to slam the US for not taking those alternatives...

No need for emotional terms like "slam" in order to discuss the difficult moral questions involved.

....Japan invaded and conquered other countries and murdered innocents.......

So we dropped atomic bombs on Japan as an act of revenge for the civilians killed in China? Is that what Truman said?

We dropped the bombs to end the war quickly and with a lower cost of life...especially our peoples lives......

Why all the reference to revenge for China if that is what you believe?

I haven't said anything about revenge..........

Then why do you keep mentioning such things as if they were pertinent to the grave decision to use the atomic bomb?

....Japan invaded and conquered other countries and murdered innocents.......

So we dropped atomic bombs on Japan as an act of revenge for the civilians killed in China? Is that what Truman said?

We dropped the bombs to end the war quickly and with a lower cost of life...especially our peoples lives......

Then why do you keep mentioning such things as if they were pertinent to the grave decision to use the atomic bomb?

Because the Japanese were brutal and uncompromising and showed they had no intention to surrender......the bombs,changed that mind set.

Because the Japanese were brutal and uncompromising ....

In other words, it WAS an act of revenge?

No..it was an act to end the war.

Had the Japanese surrendered unconditionally before the bomb was dropped....the bombs would not have been dropped...so no..it wasn't an act of revenge.

...can make the argument that other strategies could have been more effective that what was done....

I don't think the case can be made for "more effective," but surely it can be made that alternatives did exist.

Sure.

No need for emotional terms like "slam" in order to discuss the difficult moral questions involved.

"slam" is not a very emotional word to me.

But you are certainly not being "generous" to those you are judging.

No..it was an act to end the war.

Then why do you keep talking about it as if it were an act of revenge?

Sure.

Who am I judging?

Sure.

Who am I judging?

You seem to be unhappy with those who made the decision to drop the Bomb.

japan got what they deserved . They started the war , USA ended it !!

Sure.

Who am I judging?

I haven't indicated a position at all. I'm merely trying to discuss a grave and important moral/historical question seriously. The "Fuckin-a right, man! Yaaa! Nuke 'em again!" idiots and the "America is the devil!" idiots are not part of such a discussion. Neither, for that matter, are the "We had no choice!" and "We're saints for incinerating innocent women and children!" idiots for that matter.

Last edited:
Sure.

Who am I judging?

I haven't indicated a position at all. I'm merely trying to discuss a grave and important moral/historical question seriously. The "Fuckin-a right, man! Yaaa! Nuke 'em again!" idiots and the "America is the devil!" idiots are not part of such a discussion. Neither, for that matter are the "We had no choice!" and "We're saints for incinerating innocent women and children!" idiots for that matter.

Nuance can be useful and such a discussion could be interesting and educational.

But the debate is driven by liberal revisionists who's goal is to minimize America's historical glories, and to focus on our historical failings.

Who am I judging?

I haven't indicated a position at all. I'm merely trying to discuss a grave and important moral/historical question seriously. The "Fuckin-a right, man! Yaaa! Nuke 'em again!" idiots and the "America is the devil!" idiots are not part of such a discussion. Neither, for that matter are the "We had no choice!" and "We're saints for incinerating innocent women and children!" idiots for that matter.

Nuance can be useful and such a discussion could be interesting and educational.

But the debate is driven by liberal revisionists who's goal is to minimize America's historical glories, and to focus on our historical failings.

It seems the 'debate' here has featured more of the "fuckin-a right!" and "no choice! no choice!" crowds so far.

think that there was a Choice to be made and the USA decided on the choice that best suited them . To me it was a good choice , ended the war with no invasion plus we got an 'Unconditional Surrender' . It was the best deal for the USA , my Dad , Uncles , Family and other Americans !!

off topic , but , I sometimes wonder if the USA will ever face the choice of nuking a nuke armed 'iran' in the future . ------ off the topic of the thread !!

Forum List

Back