Are Nukes Good?

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Today I heard them over in Japan saying how we need to ban all nuclear weapons. But didn't us dropping the bombs on Japan save millions of lives? What if we didn't have the bombs back then? How many more lives would have been lost? So it struck me as odd to hear a country like Japan, the country that needed to be nuked, say we should ban all nukes. If we did, would they try it again?

How Hiroshima and Nagasaki Saved Millions of Lives The Diplomat

The Decision to Drop the Bomb ushistory.org

If the Atomic Bomb Had Not Been Used - The Atlantic

How the Atomic Bomb Saved 4 000 000 Lives

I realize the tragic significance of the atomic bomb. Its production and its use were not lightly undertaken by this Government. But we knew that our enemies were on the search for it. We know now how close they were to finding it. And we knew the disaster, which would come to this Nation, and to all peace-loving nations, to all civilization, if they had found it first. That is why we felt compelled to undertake the long and uncertain and costly labor of discovery and production.**

We won the race of discovery against the Germans. Having found the bomb we have used it. We have used it against those who attacked us without warning at Pearl Harbor, against those who have starved and beaten and executed American prisoners of war, against those who have abandoned all pretense of obeying international laws of warfare. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of war, in order to save the lives of thousands and thousands of young Americans.

No. It was to test it on an undamaged city and make a demonstration for Stalin. Cities were already being razed by firebombing.

no problem with nukes for me , my Dad and Uncles didn't have to invade 'japan' because of nukes. NUKES will be a problem in the future for the younger generations just coming up after 'iran' gets them .

Your relatives were saved because of the destruction of the Army of Manchuria by the Russians.

nukes worked good my parents and my generation 'cnm' . Don't know about the future though , mrobama is arming up some of Americas biggest and nastiest enemies though.

Nukes during the Cold War worked as a deterrent for USSR and USA.

But today if nukes fall in the hands of Iran, well, that wil be another more dangerous story!

:dunno:

It was meaningful that there was not a single word of regret on the occasion of the 70th Hiroshima anniversary.

Yes....they stopped the war.....that is all that needs to be said...since Japan started the war and were monsters that needed to be stopped...just ask anyone under their occupation......

no regrets from me . I might not be here except for japan being nuked and they started the war , nukes ended it . Dad and Uncles didn't have to invade japan .

This is a good piece...looking at the attempts by leftists to lie about what actually happened....

Thoughts on an awful anniversary Roger s Rules

This was a point made by the late literary critic Paul Fussell, whose classic essay “Thank God for the Atom Bomb” really says all that needs to be said about the subject of whether using those fearsome engines of war was justified. “The future scholar-critic who writes The History of Canting the Twentieth Century,” Fussell wrote, “will find much to study and interpret the utterances of those who dilate on the special wickedness of the A-bomb-droppers.”

He will realize that such utterance can perform for the speaker a valuable double function. First it can display the fineness of his moral weave. And second, by implication it can also inform the audience that during the war he was not socially so unfortunate as to find himself down there with the ground forces, where he might have had to compromise the purity and clarity of his moral system by the experience of weighing his own life against someone else’s. Down there, which is where the other people were, is the place where coarse self-interest is the rule. When the young soldier with the wild eyes comes at you, firing, do you shoot him in the foot, hoping he’ll be hurt badly enough to drop or misaim the gun with which he’s going to kill you, or do you shoot. him in the chest (or, if you’re a prime shot, in the head) and make certain that you and not he will be the survivor of that mortal moment?

Fussell, who was himself in the Army, had seen action in Europe and in the summer of 1945 was part of a contingent being readied for the invasion of the Japanese homeland. He was particularly acerbic about arm-chair moralists like the philosopher J. Glenn Gray, who published fine-sounding reflections about the inhumanity of war but who spent the war as an interrogator at division headquarters miles from the front. “It would,” Fussell wrote, “be not just stupid but would betray a lamentable want of human experience to expect soldiers to be very sensitive humanitarians.”

No. It was to test it on an undamaged city and make a demonstration for Stalin. Cities were already being razed by firebombing.

That is a lie.
It had to be tested on an undamaged city to know and understand the full effects. And letting the world know of and see this weapon was an objective; maybe not the primary objective but one none the less

That is a lie.
It had to be tested on an undamaged city to know and understand the full effects. And letting the world know and see this weapon was an objective; maybe not the primary objective but one none the less

Lie.
An interesting read. I heard it on the radio this morning.
Why Did The U.S. Choose Hiroshima NPR

That is a lie.
It had to be tested on an undamaged city to know and understand the full effects. And letting the world know and see this weapon was an objective; maybe not the primary objective but one none the less

Lie.
An interesting read. I heard it on the radio this morning.
Why Did The U.S. Choose Hiroshima NPR

The article is from an anti nuke guy.......

It was meaningful that there was not a single word of regret on the occasion of the 70th Hiroshima anniversary.

Yes....they stopped the war.....that is all that needs to be said...since Japan started the war and were monsters that needed to be stopped...just ask anyone under their occupation......
The war was already decided. The bombings had scientific and political reasons. However, given that you are right, it does not make the nuking right. And I doubt that the bombs would have been used if their full potential would have been realized before.
But that´s not what I mean.

I realize the tragic significance of the atomic bomb. Its production and its use were not lightly undertaken by this Government. But we knew that our enemies were on the search for it. We know now how close they were to finding it. And we knew the disaster, which would come to this Nation, and to all peace-loving nations, to all civilization, if they had found it first. That is why we felt compelled to undertake the long and uncertain and costly labor of discovery and production.**

We won the race of discovery against the Germans. Having found the bomb we have used it. We have used it against those who attacked us without warning at Pearl Harbor, against those who have starved and beaten and executed American prisoners of war, against those who have abandoned all pretense of obeying international laws of warfare. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of war, in order to save the lives of thousands and thousands of young Americans.

First of all neither Germany or Japan were ever close to producing an atomic bomb. They were both working on it but Japan was light years away and of no significance. Germany was putting moderate resources to it but thanks to the British raids on Telemark, Norway, where the Germans had a heavy water production plant, the Germans also had no chance. After the war the allies found Germany only had a few hundred gallons of heavy water in stock when more than 10,000 gallons is needed.

The dropping of the atomic bomb did shorten the war and saved not only hundreds of thousands of U.S. soldiers but also millions of Japanese soldiers and civilians. It was a hideous weapon but its use did save lives in the long run. The Japanese government, even AFTER the two atomic bombs were dropped, was deadlocked on whether to surrender. The military wanted to fight to the death. The emperor broke the deadlock and voted to surrender.

Lastly, imagine if the bomb hadn't been used and its utterly devastating effect never shown in plain sight to the world. It would have made use of the atomic bomb, and much worse the hydrogen bomb, more of a possibility in all the years after World War 2 because there would have been no stark video images of the reality of the misery created when these weapons are used.

The dropping of those two bombs was as hideous as anything in human history but even as ugly as it was it likely prevented a holocaust of immeasurable proportions.

First of all neither Germany or Japan were ever close to producing an atomic bomb. They were both working on it but Japan was light years away and of no significance. Germany was putting moderate resources to it but thanks to the British raids on Telemark, Norway, where the Germans had a heavy water production plant, the Germans also had no chance. After the war the allies found Germany only had a few hundred gallons of heavy water in stock when more than 10,000 gallons is needed.

The dropping of the atomic bomb did shorten the war and saved not only hundreds of thousands of U.S. soldiers but also millions of Japanese soldiers and civilians. It was a hideous weapon but its use did save lives in the long run. The Japanese government, even AFTER the two atomic bombs were dropped, was deadlocked on whether to surrender. The military wanted to fight to the death. The emperor broke the deadlock and voted to surrender.

Lastly, imagine if the bomb hadn't been used and its utterly devastating effect never shown in plain sight to the world. It would have made use of the atomic bomb, and much worse the hydrogen bomb, more of a possibility in all the years after World War 2 because there would have been no stark video images of the reality of the misery created when these weapons are used.

The dropping of those two bombs was as hideous as anything in human history but even as ugly as it was it likely prevented a holocaust of immeasurable proportions.

And obama wants the worst exporter of terrorism in the world to have them.....

Forum List

Back