Are Multiracial Militaries A Good Idea?

Last edited:
How'd that attempt at a homogeneous military work out for Germany?

If you are referring to WWII, it took the US, Russia and England (and others) to bring them down. Seems they had quite the powerful military.
I'm not saying they were right, but they damn sure had a military that was something it took a few super-powers a while to defeat.

the allies had the Italians and the Japanese to deal with also, the U.S. joined the effort and the war was ended in less than 4 years.

the allies had the Italians and the Japanese to deal with also, the U.S. joined the effort and the war was ended in less than 4 years.

Saying WWII ended less than 4 years after the American entry is misleading. By Dec 7, 1941 Germany had already lost the war in Russia; Operation Typhoon had launched, trying to beat the Russian winter and it failed, miserably. 1942 saw the decisive battle of Stalingrad which ended any hope the Germans had of holding off the Soviet army before any real US presence was felt in Europe.

Saying WWII ended less than 4 years after the American entry is misleading. By Dec 7, 1941 Germany had already lost the war in Russia; Operation Typhoon had launched, trying to beat the Russian winter and it failed, miserably. 1942 saw the decisive battle of Stalingrad which ended any hope the Germans had of holding off the Soviet army before any real US presence was felt in Europe.

misleading? Dec 7 1941 - Aug 15 1945, pretty cut and dried, what is misleading is your reading more into my simple statement than what is there.

misleading? Dec 7 1941 - Aug 15 1945, pretty cut and dried, what is misleading is your reading more into my simple statement than what is there.
In US schools the typical theme is that the US "beat" the Nazi's. The phrasing of your original comment sounded a lot like that used by US schools to remind everyone how we "bailed out" France and Europe. Hitler overextended his forces when he failed to take out Russia in 41 and the savage werhmacht losses at Stalingrad, Kursk, etc. were the deathknell of the Nazi war effort.
Is it not better to clear up any possible confusion than to allow someone to misread your words and gain a worse picture of history?

Or, say, militaries that have members of an enemy religion right there on base? Would that ever lead to a problem of any kind?

Worked pretty well for ROME for about a thousad years, William.

Whoa, counselor. You can pretty much plot the rise and fall of the Roman Empire by its multicultural rot. The Roman Republic, for the first 500 years, was probably more racially pure than Germany's ever been, and only on into the future of the empire did that fade.

To say that the Romans were "multiracial" is simply not true.

Read "Race in the Roman Empire" by Tenney Frank for a treatment of this.

http://www.theoccidentalquarterly.com/archives/vol5no4/54-Kopff.pdf

Last edited:
What do you have to say about the French Foreign Legion? By its definition is composed of entirely difference peoples of different backgrounds!

Heck they fight harder than the entire French Army!
The bar isn't set to high if you are using the French Army as a standard. :cuckoo:

Given their performance in WWI AND WWII :lol:

Bit unfair SM. I don't want to be pc either but they fought and died for their country in WWI and they did so bravely, check out the numbers. Yes the Vichy swine in WWII were arseholes but don't forget the Maquis.

As for the Legion. They are an elite group indeed. One of my colleagues here is a former Legionnaire but he will not discuss his service.

Last edited:
The Romans conquered the entire Mediterranean and created one of the longest lasting empires on Earth by incorporating former enemies into their ranks.

Same with the British Empire.

It works, but every now and then a barbarian or colonial will go feral.

Like in the American Revolution.

I hate it when the bugs don't do what they are told.

I have a beagle like this as well, and a wife, and a son.

My empire is crumbling.

I hate it when the bugs don't do what they are told.

I have a beagle like this as well, and a wife, and a son.

My empire is crumbling.

Whip that wife into submission and tell that dog to lie down ...

:eusa_eh: Wait ... in the wrong mind that could sound really bad.

What do you have to say about the French Foreign Legion? By its definition is composed of entirely difference peoples of different backgrounds!

Heck they fight harder than the entire French Army!
The bar isn't set to high if you are using the French Army as a standard. :cuckoo:

Bit unfair SM. I don't want to be pc either but they fought and died for their country in WWI and they did so bravely, check out the numbers. Yes the Vichy swine in WWII were arseholes but don't forget the Maquis.

As for the Legion. They are an elite group indeed. One of my colleagues here is a former Legionnaire but he will not discuss his service.
I recently saw an advertisment in a gun magazine for French WWII rifles.

For Sale: "like new French WWII military rifles, never fired, and only dropped once". :eusa_angel:

For Sale: "like new French WWII military rifles, never fired, and only dropped once". :eusa_angel:

LOL I will give you that, since the Napoleon Days (where they still eventually ended up on the losing end) the French have been taking a beating!
Algeria, Germany 3 times (once before WW I), Britian countless times, Vietnam (to be fair they beat Japan, US, and China) etc. They French military has become a joke!

Yep, like the joke I remember being peddled around at school just after the Six Day War - "did ya know the Egyptian Army has tanks? You did? But did you know they have only one forward gear speed and sixteen reverse gear speeds?"

Or the one that goes, "Okay, it's a Six Day War, but for you - I'll make it Five".

There's only one unit I really have faith in

250px-FTroop.jpg

LOL I will give you that, since the Napoleon Days (where they still eventually ended up on the losing end) the French have been taking a beating!
Algeria, Germany 3 times (once before WW I), Britian countless times, Vietnam (to be fair they beat Japan, US, and China) etc. They French military has become a joke!

Is that right?

Terrorist Bombing Of The Marine Barracks, Beirut, Lebanon

1983 Beirut barracks bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a good laugh.

Forum List

Back