Are mitochondria parasites or symbionts?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
It is believed that these are symbionts that were originally bacterial parasites of eukaryotes, but then began to benefit in the form of increased production of ATP. In practice, increased ATP production is not confirmed, because when a person starts breathing during intense exercise, he experiences a breakdown. For example, at a distance of 400 meters, the last 100 meters are the most difficult, when it is no longer possible to maintain an anaerobic cycle and the sprinter begins to breathe. Further even worse.
Symbiosis is also not confirmed in practice. In fact, mitochondria hide from the attack of the immune system in cells, but as soon as they enter the bloodstream, they cause an immune response.

The behavior of mitochondria is no different from other cellular parasites such as the malarial bacterium. Could the malarial bacterium also be a symbiont instead?

Parasites don’t provide a benefit to the host; mitochondria do. 400m is much too short a distance for aerobic metabolism to kick in. That can often take a couple of miles, as I learned early in my cross-country days.

• Banned
Parasites don’t provide a benefit to the host; mitochondria do.
Why do you think so?

400m is much too short a distance for aerobic metabolism to kick in. That can often take a couple of miles, as I learned early in my cross-country days.
Absolute nonsense. The aerobic metabolism works whenever it respiration works.

It is believed that these are symbionts that were originally bacterial parasites of eukaryotes, but then began to benefit in the form of increased production of ATP. In practice, increased ATP production is not confirmed, because when a person starts breathing during intense exercise, he experiences a breakdown. For example, at a distance of 400 meters, the last 100 meters are the most difficult, when it is no longer possible to maintain an anaerobic cycle and the sprinter begins to breathe. Further even worse.
Symbiosis is also not confirmed in practice. In fact, mitochondria hide from the attack of the immune system in cells, but as soon as they enter the bloodstream, they cause an immune response.

The behavior of mitochondria is no different from other cellular parasites such as the malarial bacterium. Could the malarial bacterium also be a symbiont instead?
You lost me with your "bacterial parasites of eukaryotes, but then began to benefit in the form of increased production of ATP. In practice, increased ATP production is not confirmed."

Bacterial parasites can cause severe illness and even kill you, so you'll have to get past the eww. It sounds like you're just skipping and assuming your conclusion.

Why do you think so?
They provide a service to the organism, ATP production, therefore by definition they aren’t parasites.
Absolute nonsense. The aerobic metabolism works whenever it respiration works.
Don’t know much about metabolism, do you? You gave it away by using the word ‘absolute’. Anyone familiar with the topic knows what I’m talking about. Anaerobic metabolism kicks in first and then the aerobic system ramps up, simple HS biology. Perhaps a review is in order.

You lost me with your "bacterial parasites of eukaryotes, but then began to benefit in the form of increased production of ATP. In practice, increased ATP production is not confirmed."

Bacterial parasites can cause severe illness and even kill you, so you'll have to get past the eww. It sounds like you're just skipping and assuming your conclusion.
He’s wrong about the parasite part; they’re symbionts.

• Banned
They provide a service to the organism, ATP production, therefore by definition they aren’t parasites.
They make ATP for themselves, it's just that there's a mechanism to extract it from inside the mitochondria. I think that from any bacterium the cell can also pull it out.

Don’t know much about metabolism, do you? You gave it away by using the word ‘absolute’. Anyone familiar with the topic knows what I’m talking about. Anaerobic metabolism kicks in first and then the aerobic system ramps up, simple HS biology. Perhaps a review is in orde
when breathing is working, there is always an aerobic

They make ATP for themselves, it's just that there's a mechanism to extract it from inside the mitochondria. I think that from any bacterium the cell can also pull it out.

when breathing is working, there is always an aerobic
Review some basic biology texts. Your lack of knowledge makes any meaningful discussion futile.

• Banned
Review some basic biology texts. Your lack of knowledge makes any meaningful discussion futile.

You’re a waste of time, if you refuse to at least check your facts. After 35 years of medical research, I can safely say you haven’t got a clue.
Just back off you fool. This is reliable data from biochemistry textbooks.

Solute transport across the impermeable mitochondrial inner membrane is essential for the function and survival of eukaryotic cells. The majority of these transport steps are catalyzed by membrane proteins of the mitochondrial carrier family (Monné and Palmieri, 2014). The archetypal member of the family, the ADP/ATP carrier, performs the vital role of transporting ADP into the mitochondrial matrix and ATP out of the mitochondrion to maintain high cytosolic ATP concentrations for energy-requiring reactions (Kunji et al., 2016). Every day, this carrier transports our own body weight in ADP and ATP, recycling each ATP molecule more than a thousand times. The carrier cycles between the cytoplasmic-open state (c-state), which can be trapped by the membrane-impermeable toxic inhibitor carboxyatractyloside (CATR)

konradv
What the hell did you think, it's doing charity work? It has own interests: to eat and breed.

But I don't believe in it at all. If mitochondria provided maximum energy, then intense and power loads would be aerobic, and would directly depend on respiration. But in fact, the opposite is true.

Intelligent Self-Design

Primitive life forms used their intelligence to select between (the root meaning of intellect) outside organisms and capture those that their intuition (root meaning: "on watch for or (negatively) guard against") told them were useful. We have captured many beneficial bacteria.

Forum List

Back