Arctic sea ice thinner than ever before

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Chris, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Arctic is treading on thinner ice than ever before. Researchers say that as spring begins, more than 90 percent of the sea ice in the Arctic is only 1 or 2 years old. That makes it thinner and more vulnerable than at anytime in the past three decades, according to researchers with NASA and the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Colorado.

"We're not set up well for summertime," ice data center scientist Walt Meier said Monday. "We're in a very precarious situation."

Young sea ice in the Arctic often melts in the spring and summer. If it survives for two years, then it becomes the type of thick sea ice that is key. But the past two years were warm, and there's more young, thin ice at the top of the world.

In normal winters, thick sea ice — often about 10 feet thick or more — extends from the northern boundaries of Greenland and Canada almost to Russia. This year, the thick ice cap barely penetrates the bull's-eye of the Arctic Circle.

The amount of thick sea ice hit a record wintertime low of just 378,000 square miles this year, down 43 percent from last year, Meier said. The amount of older sea ice that was lost is larger than the state of Texas.

The Associated Press: Arctic sea ice thinnest ever going into spring

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. gezztoo

gezztoo Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I heard algore drowned when a large wave hit Des Moines this morning....he will be missed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. k2skier

k2skier Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Why are Republicans obsessed with Al Gore, An Inconvenient Truth was a a typical Hollywood hype movie that was over the top and twisted many facts. Has Drugs Limbaugh been bringing up his name a lot for you all to parrot about Al?

PS-I didn't care much for the movie, too much fear mongering.

4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    K2 .... there is a good reason, all this hype started from a document he falsified and pushed through the scientific community unverified, in spite of protests from that community. Those scientists who opposed him were fired and replaced with what we have now. He also owns the first companies which offered the "green" products and services, thus why he altered the document in the first place. Conned the government into forcing tax payers into giving said companies a fortune to "clean up the environment" while they were the biggest offenders, however since he had the scientific communities that the government relied on for information on this in his pocket they of course started supporting these claims. The only saving grace to this whole mess is that Republicans are resistant to being forced to do anything, however if those on the left would open their eyes as I have they would see that all these scientists they are now listening to are not truly credible, as I said, they are American Idol stars with lab coats, more interested in being popular with each other than investigating truth. They ignore 90% of science to make these outrageous claims seem credible.

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,977
    Ya cause 30 years of information on something regarding a planet billions of years old is JUST so important. I wonder what the ice was like when Greenland was well GREEN.

6. Yukon

Yukon BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I wonder what the ice was like when you weren't GAY ?

7. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    The odd thing is that the original document, before being edited, demonstrated that humanity was not to blame, but that we were in danger of nature wiping us out from this most likely natural event.

8. Yukon

Yukon BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    It isnt true is it Kitten....it's all lies, no proof, no truth just LIES. Maybe Al Gore is behind the smoking-is- bad campaign too ?

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,318
    Ok, back this up with real science.

While we are waiting, waiting,................

Global Warming -- Research Issues

Here is some real science;

10. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Rocks, you read none of what I posted ... how can one find the facts online when the only facts that you accept are those from the dishonest scientists who only care about being popular? Science, like religion, can easily fall into this "mine is right just because I say it is" mentality, your scientists have that mentality and like religious zealots you follow them blindly completely ignoring all others.