To Recycle or Not To Recycle

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Coloradomtnman, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    I'm bored with the current threads, so I thought I'd start one that might stir things up a bit (Amanda!). So here you go:

Answer this for me:

Do you recycle?

Why or why not?

Where do you fall in the political spectrum i.e. liberal, conservative, fiscal conservative/social liberal?

Its my guess that conservatives generally don't recycle and liberals, well, I would hope that they generally do.
    I recycle everything I can because I think that waste is stupid, the environment is the most important current issue and I do everything I can to minimize my impact; and I live by the categorical imperative that if I want everyone to recycle, I have to recycle. I'm very liberal.

2. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I never recycled anything until I moved recently. The community I now live in has a decent recycling program and it really is pretty easy to do. While I realize in some cases, recycling actually costs more, I do think it's a worthwhile thing to do, especially for non-biodegradable items.

It's very interesting, when I didn't recycle, we went through approximately six 30 gallon bags of garbage per week. Now, by recycling, I have two 30 gallon bags per week. So it does make a difference. As for my politics, I'm fairly moderate on most issues but fiscally conservative.

3. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Where do you live now? Was it the convenience of the recycling program that persuaded you to start recycling?

Do you think the cost of reycling is a reasonable deterrent?

I live in Denver where we have a great recycling service and its free so if we didn't recycle we'd be extremely wasteful, lazy hypocrits. Not to mention that in Colorado, if you don't recycle, you aren't cool. That's not why we recycle, but I think that's why some people here in Colorado do.

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    I'm conservative (more or less) and recycle because it's suppose to be good for the earth and not fill up the landfills so much. Our recycling is picked up on the same day as our trash and is included the that cost.

After reading a lot of what Kitten Koder has posted, I'm beginning to wonder if it's all nonsense though.

5. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I did when it was a choice, now that we are forced to I even go as far as littering on purpose.

6. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    yes.....but then no choice really ....it is required by law.....

7. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Really? Where do you live that you have to recycle?

Even if it wasn't a choice for me, I would still recycle simply because I want to do as much as I can to minimize my impact on the environment and leave as nice and clean a world as I can for my offspring. And I hate waste. And in Colorado if you don't recycle people will publicly chide you (unless you live in Colorado Springs, or in the plains where its the opposite). Cause Dude, I want to be, like, cool, you know, er whatever, man. Peace!

8. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Wow. I've never heard of recycling being required by law. And I thought I lived in a liberal area! I don't disagree with it being required by law, though I don't know how it would be enforced.

9. k2skier

k2skier Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    WOW! You have issues.

10. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Well ... "it's pretty easy to figure out if you follow the clues" ... Seattle. It's law and they fine people if they don't recycle, not even just businesses (which would still be wrong) but everyone here. Recently they decided to increase the fine even more.