To Recycle or Not To Recycle

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
I'm bored with the current threads, so I thought I'd start one that might stir things up a bit (Amanda!). So here you go:

Answer this for me:

Do you recycle?

Why or why not?

Where do you fall in the political spectrum i.e. liberal, conservative, fiscal conservative/social liberal?

Its my guess that conservatives generally don't recycle and liberals, well, I would hope that they generally do.
I recycle everything I can because I think that waste is stupid, the environment is the most important current issue and I do everything I can to minimize my impact; and I live by the categorical imperative that if I want everyone to recycle, I have to recycle. I'm very liberal.

I never recycled anything until I moved recently. The community I now live in has a decent recycling program and it really is pretty easy to do. While I realize in some cases, recycling actually costs more, I do think it's a worthwhile thing to do, especially for non-biodegradable items.

It's very interesting, when I didn't recycle, we went through approximately six 30 gallon bags of garbage per week. Now, by recycling, I have two 30 gallon bags per week. So it does make a difference. As for my politics, I'm fairly moderate on most issues but fiscally conservative.

I never recycled anything until I moved recently. The community I now live in has a decent recycling program and it really is pretty easy to do. While I realize in some cases, recycling actually costs more, I do think it's a worthwhile thing to do, especially for non-biodegradable items.

Where do you live now? Was it the convenience of the recycling program that persuaded you to start recycling?

Do you think the cost of reycling is a reasonable deterrent?

It's very interesting, when I didn't recycle, we went through approximately six 30 gallon bags of garbage per week. Now, by recycling, I have two 30 gallon bags per week. So it does make a difference. As for my politics, I'm fairly moderate on most issues but fiscally conservative.

I live in Denver where we have a great recycling service and its free so if we didn't recycle we'd be extremely wasteful, lazy hypocrits. Not to mention that in Colorado, if you don't recycle, you aren't cool. That's not why we recycle, but I think that's why some people here in Colorado do.

I'm conservative (more or less) and recycle because it's suppose to be good for the earth and not fill up the landfills so much. Our recycling is picked up on the same day as our trash and is included the that cost.

After reading a lot of what Kitten Koder has posted, I'm beginning to wonder if it's all nonsense though.

I'm bored with the current threads, so I thought I'd start one that might stir things up a bit (Amanda!). So here you go:

Answer this for me:

Do you recycle?

Why or why not?

Where do you fall in the political spectrum i.e. liberal, conservative, fiscal conservative/social liberal?

Its my guess that conservatives generally don't recycle and liberals, well, I would hope that they generally do.
I recycle everything I can because I think that waste is stupid, the environment is the most important current issue and I do everything I can to minimize my impact; and I live by the categorical imperative that if I want everyone to recycle, I have to recycle. I'm very liberal.

I did when it was a choice, now that we are forced to I even go as far as littering on purpose.

I did when it was a choice, now that we are forced to I even go as far as littering on purpose.

Really? Where do you live that you have to recycle?

Even if it wasn't a choice for me, I would still recycle simply because I want to do as much as I can to minimize my impact on the environment and leave as nice and clean a world as I can for my offspring. And I hate waste. And in Colorado if you don't recycle people will publicly chide you (unless you live in Colorado Springs, or in the plains where its the opposite). Cause Dude, I want to be, like, cool, you know, er whatever, man. Peace!

yes.....but then no choice really ....it is required by law.....

Wow. I've never heard of recycling being required by law. And I thought I lived in a liberal area! I don't disagree with it being required by law, though I don't know how it would be enforced.

Answer this for me:

Do you recycle?

Why or why not?

WOW! You have issues.

Even if it wasn't a choice for me, I would still recycle simply because I want to do as much as I can to minimize my impact on the environment and leave as nice and clean a world as I can for my offspring. And I hate waste. And in Colorado if you don't recycle people will publicly chide you (unless you live in Colorado Springs, or in the plains where its the opposite). Cause Dude, I want to be, like, cool, you know, er whatever, man. Peace!

Well ... "it's pretty easy to figure out if you follow the clues" ... Seattle. It's law and they fine people if they don't recycle, not even just businesses (which would still be wrong) but everyone here. Recently they decided to increase the fine even more.

Wow. I've never heard of recycling being required by law. And I thought I lived in a liberal area! I don't disagree with it being required by law, though I don't know how it would be enforced.

the garbage men look in your garbage cans before the dump them.....if you don't have the correct stuff in the correct cans they don't take them and leave you a written warning.....eventually they fine you.....california is fun....wait till this summer if you use too much water or electricity....

Well ... "it's pretty easy to figure out if you follow the clues" ... Seattle. It's law and they fine people if they don't recycle, not even just businesses (which would still be wrong) but everyone here. Recently they decided to increase the fine even more.

So do you just throw your trash out the window?

Think of all the money you save on Hefty Bags!

Many areas are, and most times it's not put up to vote. The environazis wonder why people are caring about their insanity less each year, there's your answer.

Oh. Yeah, I should've known. Well, sucks for you, though I don't feel much sympathy. I believe in recycling. To not recycle affects others negatively.

(Disclaimer)
Its just my opinion, don't get mad at me! You know I love you, Kitten.

Yes, always have always will, Liberal. My mom reused (part of recycling) plastics and other container back in the 60's, so reusing and recycling comes as second nature. At my shop (self employed business) I have 1/3 less going into garbage with recycling containers now> It's too easy and it's just plain old common sense not to throw everything away. Americans are the most wasteful of all humans, we need to practice more sustainable living.

the garbage men look in your garbage cans before the dump them.....if you don't have the correct stuff in the correct cans they don't take them and leave you a written warning.....eventually they fine you.....california is fun....wait till this summer if you use too much water or electricity....

Duh. Left Coast Isolationist. I wasn't even thinking California. I'm tired its the afternoon.

Well, you guys did have those brown outs for a while and water is an increasingly precious resource. I know people who live in Tahoe and the Owens River Valley who hate that SoCal gets all their water. I walked the PCT from El Campo to Tahoe and about 40 miles of it is through the Mojave along the LA aquaduct.

Colorado has the same laws for water conservation. Certain addresses can't water their lawns on certain days, or I should say nights since watering is only allowed at night. If the draught is really bad, no one gets to water their lawns.

What a bullshit to check people's garbage and fine them for not recycling... That'd even piss me off. But then, I know I do have serious problems with authority... However, littering on purpose? Tsk tsk, bad KITTY!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40LnXzacKWA]YouTube - NO KITTY![/ame]

Anywho... I recycle because it's damn easy to do and it actually makes me feel good about myself - helping the environment and what not... I recycle glass bottles - clear and colored, cans, paper, and plastic.

I live in Stockholm, duh. :)

What a bullshit to check people's garbage and fine them for not recycling... That'd even piss me off. But then, I know I do have serious problems with authority... However, littering on purpose? Tsk tsk, bad KITTY!

Anywho... I recycle because it's damn easy to do and it actually makes me feel good about myself - helping the environment and what not... I recycle glass bottles - clear and colored, cans, paper, and plastic.

I live in Stockholm, duh. :)

Meh ... our city has street cleaners and since it's now about 90% concrete it all gets swept up. The cops laugh when I do, they know I do on purpose, but I "pretend" to try to recycle ... but oops ... miss the blue can then shrug and walk on. But I'm friends with most of the local law enforcement (the people I actually consider friends) and most of them agree with me. It's a protest at being over controlled, my own protest since small acts of rebellion will likely get the message across more than those damned marches.

You know what makes me feel good ... smoking ... yeah. Don't need to pretend to make a difference to feel good, never have, never will. As for the "benefits" of recycling, seriously, look into it more than just listening to the feel good slogans, it has no real benefit and in most cases harms the planet more than not recycling. Another rather disturbing thing I have noticed, in my area at least, most of these people who do it to "feel good" are also the same people who whine about sharing the road with bicyclers ... how odd is that?

You know what makes me feel good ... smoking ... yeah. Don't need to pretend to make a difference to feel good, never have, never will. As for the "benefits" of recycling, seriously, look into it more than just listening to the feel good slogans, it has no real benefit and in most cases harms the planet more than not recycling. Another rather disturbing thing I have noticed, in my area at least, most of these people who do it to "feel good" are also the same people who whine about sharing the road with bicyclers ... how odd is that?

What you should really do is throw your trash at the people who bicycle on the roads, then flick your cigarette butts at the people who are complaining about the bicyclers!

It's a win-win situation!

Forum List

Back