Arabs Celebrate Strikes on U.S. in Iraq

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
CAIRO, Egypt - Across the Arab world, strikes like the deadly downing of a U.S. helicopter are applauded by many as resistance to occupation and proof that Iraqis were not completely humiliated by the ease of the U.S.-led victory over Saddam Hussein.
~~~~~~~

"Samir Ragab, editor of the Egyptian daily Al-Gomhouria, lauded the Iraqis in his column for fighting back.

"Every citizen who lives in Iraq, be they Baathist or anti-Baathist, whether they support or oppose Saddam, will stand up and shout at the top of his lungs: `We will chase the Americans and their followers until they leave our home ashamed and defeated.'"

Is Baghdad Bob reincarnated?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031103/ap_on_re_mi_ea/arabs_iraq_1

If that's the case, they should just get the soldiers out of there and let them all ROT! sorry, but if a celebration is going on and they are thrilled about the strikes on the US, they deserve Hussein torturing them!!! Maybe bad attitude, but didn't like some of the pictures of the nasty ass women chattering their teeth in joy of people that were killed just like the ARABS did after 9/11 - jumping around in joy and burning the USA flags!!!

Funny I was thinking the same thing while reading Jim's post. I guess we Americans assume the world thinks as we do; obviously this is not the case. All I know is if I lived under the rule of a monster like Sadam, had an infrastructure that was falling apart, and had no hope for my family or my children’s future, I would be overjoyed about the US being in my country. I find it hard to believe that they are so brainwashed or ignorant that they cannot see the good to come. Who knows maybe Sadam’s language of violence is the only language these people understand and respect. Sorry couldn’t help that one.

all you feel gooders are amazing. simply amazing.

here we sit in the lap of luxury and can't possibly understand why these people would be celebrating at such a tragedy.

this statement says it all: 'I find it hard to believe that they are so brainwashed or ignorant that they cannot see the good to come'

no, my friend, it is not because they are ignorant. it is because of your delusion of what good is to come. it is the deteriating situation in iraq that continues everyday, and something i think anybody with even just a little common sense could see coming down the pipe BEFORE this 'war' even happened!

iraqi people seeing that the US is bringing in their own contractors and paying them top dollar for labor that could come from the locals.

i think they are seeing thing much more clearly than our paid-for media would like us to believe.

Amazing, I think that’s going a little too far, extraordinary maybe, but certainly not amazing.

You have got to be kidding me! Who came to the rescue to re-build after 9/11 - did money come pouring out from any ARAB country??? NO!!!! Billions of dollars are going into rebuilding Iraq, bigger and better probably than what it was. And your going to say that because EXPERIENCED contractors and workers are going to do the work and maybe not Iraq people, that would be a reason for ignorance? BS! Maybe it should be like years and years ago, WAR, bomb and leave! let themselves do the rebuilding and clean up with no HELP at all!

Originally posted by eric
>>I lived under the rule of a monster like Sadam...I would be overjoyed about the US being in my country. <<
I doubt it. More likely you'd be looking for SA-7s' and muttering about the foriegn occupiers (I know I would).
>>I find it hard to believe that they are so brainwashed or ignorant that they cannot see the good to come.<<
The problem is the way we introduced the "good". We invaded their country, killed many of their countrymen and humiliated them in the eyes of the world. We are kind of like the rich, wife beating husband. Yes, our wife, Iraq has two black eyes and a broken nose, but look at the diamond necklace I just bought her...
The resistents will continue, our presence alone is enough to fuel it with recruits and dollars.
Our national resolve to rehabilitate Iraq is a Bush administration illusion. 6 months into the occupation, 1/3 of the country is ready to pull the pin and run.

Poll Data
ABC News/Washington Post Poll. Oct. 26-29, 2003. N=1,207 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3. Fieldwork by TNS Intersearch.

10/26-29/03
"Do you think the United States should keep its military forces in Iraq until civil order is restored there, even if that means continued U.S. military casualties; or do you think the United States should withdraw its military forces from Iraq in order to avoid further U.S. military casualties, even if that means civil order is not restored there?" Options rotated
Keep Forces in Iraq: 58 %
Withdraw Forces: 38 %
No Opinion: 3 %

10/26-29/03
"Do you approve or disapprove of the way Bush is handling the situation in Iraq?"
Approve 47%
Disapprove 51%
No Opinion 2%

10/26-29/03
"All in all, considering the costs to the United States versus the benefits to the United States, do you think the war with Iraq was worth fighting, or not?"

Worth Fighting 54 %
Not Worth Fighting 44 %
No Opinion 2 %

10/26-29/03
"Again thinking about the goals versus the costs of the war, so far in your opinion has there been an acceptable or unacceptable number of U.S. military casualties in Iraq?"

Acceptable 35%
Unacceptable 62%
No Opinion 3%

That last one is kind of chilling, since the lethality of the attacks has gone up a couple notches since the poll was taken.

Forum List

Back