Appeals Court Stop Laptop Searches on Border. This is NOT Good!

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
American Border Patrol doing good job stopping Illegal Aliens, Drugs and Illegal Weapons from enter US but out of control Judges throw wrench into system! :mad:

Court curbs laptop searches at U.S. border - Washington Times
A Federal Appeals Court (9th Circuit) on Friday said the Border Patrol cannot confiscate or download every laptop or electronic device brought into the U.S., ruling that people have an expectation their data are private and that the government must have “reasonable suspicion” before it starts to do any intensive snooping. In a broad ruling, the court also said merely putting password protection on information is not enough to trigger the government’s “reasonable suspicion” to conduct a more intrusive search — but can be taken into account along with other factors.
The only thing people should "expect" is to have a complete search of themselves and their belongings to keep America safe from threats. If Government want to check Laptop, that is reasonable enough for me!

Does his 9th Circuit know who they are messing with?

I don't often agree with the 9th circuit but it sounds reasonable to me. I don't think the federal government has the right to download personal information from a privately owned laptop without a warrant.

A stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day, or about 730 times a year. That would be several hundred times more than the 9th federal circuit court is right a year.

No question they nailed this one.

The Ninth Circuit is correct in its ruling. I never even knew this was taking place. It's unconscienable.

American Border Patrol doing good job stopping Illegal Aliens, Drugs and Illegal Weapons from enter US but out of control Judges throw wrench into system! :mad:

A Federal Appeals Court (9th Circuit) on Friday said the Border Patrol cannot confiscate or download every laptop or electronic device brought into the U.S., ruling that people have an expectation their data are private and that the government must have “reasonable suspicion” before it starts to do any intensive snooping. In a broad ruling, the court also said merely putting password protection on information is not enough to trigger the government’s “reasonable suspicion” to conduct a more intrusive search — but can be taken into account along with other factors.
The only thing people should "expect" is to have a complete search of themselves and their belongings to keep America safe from threats. If Government want to check Laptop, that is reasonable enough for me!

How the fuck is it not good? Why should people be forced to open their entire lives to inspection just because they travel?

The Ninth Circuit is correct in its ruling. I never even knew this was taking place. It's unconscienable.

They actually made it sound reasonable. People have had their laptops confiscated and shipped off to the lab for months simply because they crossed an imaginary line.

How the fuck is it not good? Why should people be forced to open their entire lives to inspection just because they travel?
TSA and Border Patrol stopping Terrorist Activity everyday!

Ask yourself: Has Terrorist Act happened lately? Hmm?

Court curbs laptop searches at U.S. border - Washington TimesThe only thing people should "expect" is to have a complete search of themselves and their belongings to keep America safe from threats. If Government want to check Laptop, that is reasonable enough for me!

TSA and Border Patrol stopping Terrorist Activity everyday!

Ask yourself: Has Terrorist Act happened lately? Hmm?

You must have missed the news, an agent walked through a TSA checkpoint with a fake bomb even though he got a pat down.

This is fundamental 4th Amendment jurisprudence:

“Electronic devices often retain sensitive and confidential information far beyond the perceived point of erasure, notably in the form of browsing histories and records of deleted files,” Judge M. Margaret McKeown wrote in the majority opinion. “This quality makes it impractical, if not impossible, for individuals to make meaningful decisions regarding what digital content to expose to the scrutiny that accompanies international travel. A person’s digital life ought not be hijacked simply by crossing a border.”

The ruling says that Americans who carry laptops or other electronic devices when they go out in public have some expectation that that information is not open to a search if they made an effort to protect it.

Privacy advocates cheered the decision, saying that the government had previously believed it had the right to copy all electronic data of anyone crossing into the U.S.

“But in today’s watershed ruling, the court drew a line in the sand and recognized that the vast amount of personal information and sensitive data on laptops, cell phones, and other electronic devices is worthy of Fourth Amendment protection,” said Michael Price, a lawyer for the Brennan Center for Justice.

The ruling, by the entire 9th Circuit, overturns a previous decision by a three-judge panel of the court.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Forum List

Back