Anything Goes - A Story by USMB

Discussion in 'Writing' started by masquerade, Mar 29, 2010.

1. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    It was an early spring day, much like all the others. Sitting in her office, she gazed out at the grey sky, wishing the sun would come out. The wind howled as the rain pelted against the windowpane as she waited for the last half-hour of her workday to tick away. It had been a busy day with clients coming and going … the phone ringing off the hook, but now it was quiet. She took the opportunity to gather her personal belongings, preparing for home before she snuck out the door without anyone noticing. She wasn’t in the mood for a round of ‘have a nice evening! See you tomorrow!’ She just wanted out!
    Her umbrella was little help when it came to the wind and rain this storm brought. She threw her hood up and walked briskly to the train station. She shook the rain water off her umbrella as she descended the flight of stairs. Keeping her head low … not wanting to make eye contact with anyone, she made her way through the turnstile. When she reached the platform she was stopped abruptly and that was when she saw …….

2. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    ....her older sister. She stood reading a paperback in a position she remembered from their youth. A studious involvement with a book. The last time she saw Ann was at their mother's funereal. Mom had a life, they agreed, she had them, she had dad, she had home. Ann had remarked, 'but times change, we have a life too, only a different one.' Was mom happy they wondered, why didn't they know? Just then Ann looked up....

3. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    ... and saw her younger sister Eva standing there staring at her. It was too late for Eva to turn and run. She had been spotted. Nothing left to do but confront her sister and say hello. They hugged and told each other how great the other looked while they continued on with the usual small talk about work and friends ... both avoiding the mention of their mother.

The southbound train was pulling out of the station, as the northbound pulled in. Eva took a couple of steps in the direction of the train, hoping her sister would get the hint that she needed to go. The doors of the train opened and that was when they heard the first shouts.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    "Eva! Ann! Hello girls..." The shouts were coming from Father Anthony. He was the Catholic priest who has just weeks before gave the funeral mass for their mother. He came running up to them from a distant stairway that led down onto the train boarding ramp. Slightly out of breath, he smiled and said, "Hello girls. How are you both doing?"

Each of the girls looked at Father Anthony and as if on cue, they both replied at the same time, "Fine. I'm just fine."

"Good. Good. I'm glad to hear that. I have thought about both of you since your mother's death and often wondered how you were getting along now that your life has been so drastically changed. You've both been in my prayers." Having said that, Father Anthony asked, "Is this your train?"

5. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    A confused quiet ensued as each girl looked to the other for help. How to escape the friendly priest when each knew that he really wasn't the cause of the unease. 'Yes, it is,' Ann replied, quickly saying goodbye to her sister and saying 'how they must get together soon.'

The doors closed, and Ann looked back to see Eva look back at her. Father Anthony headed for the exit. The moment passed but in her thought Ann tired to reason through what had happened just now. She thought why do we grow apart. This is my sister, my friend, and the only person who really knows who I am. The train arrived at dad's stop. Could she tell him she just saw Eva. What would he say.

Entering the apartment, dad sat cursing the news, a position he took too often today. Without mom telling him to calm down he rattled on, quiet for a minute, as she asked how his day had gone.

6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    "Hello! I'm home Dad. How was your day?", Ann asked not knowing what to expect. Had he been drinking again?

"Fine, Ann. The day went just fine. I went by your Mom's grave and the stone looks real nice. I think she would have approved.", he said. "and you? How was your day, young lady?"

He cursed and slapped the side of the television. It had been acting up lately and rightfully so. It was almost 13 years old. It would play for a while and then for no reason at all go completely blank. At first it would only happen now and then but here of late it seemed to happen after it played for 30 minutes or so. He turned it off and sat in his chair.

"I asked how your day went, Ann. Didn't you hear me?" he asked in a slightly louder voice.

"My day was so-so. Work wasn't fun today. Everybody seemed really cranky and the phone never stopped ringing from the time I got to the office until I left. I hate my job.", Ann stated. "Oh, you'll never guess who I saw today. It was quite a surprise!"

"Don't keep me waiting. Who was it that you saw?", Ann's father, William asked.

"I saw Father Anthony at the train station in the city. He asked how you were getting along. I told him you were getting along real well.", Ann offered. She knew she was lying. She was lying about how well her father was getting on since her Mom's death just a couple of weeks ago. He was still very hurt and in pain from her passing. She was lying about seeing Eva. She just didn't have the heart to tell him that she had saw Eva at the train station too. Why was it so difficult for her to tell her father the truth about seeing Eva? She thought for a few minutes and then decided it was best not to tell him and open up old wounds again. After she had hung up her coat and kicked her shoes off, she approached her father and asked him what sounded good for supper. She looked at the clock and noticed that it was now 6:15 pm. That was the exact time that her mother had died just two weeks ago. Fighting back the tears, she again asked her father, "What sounds good tonight, Dad? I'm hungry and I just know you have to be too."

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    Eva was different. As Father Anthony climbed the steps, she saw her train approach. In a window seat she looked out at the people at each stop and thought of the Beatles 'lonely people.' Ads went by and briefly an exec she once dated popped back into consciousness. Stale smells filled the car as daylight startled her. The train now above the street.

"Sun, sun, what a day and Ann looked well, sad maybe. I wonder what she thinks of me today will she tell dad we met." Years earlier the sisters had met or was that loved the same man, and that single confrontation had separated them. "Maybe she's got over it." She thought. And then her mind went to dad who always wondered why his girls hadn't found what he'd wanted for them. "Dad needed a grandchild." Eva thought, "a boy, someone to focus on, spoil, it wasn't too late."

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Just then, her ex-husband, Del, walked up to her, and Anne remembered why she had never had children. The chances of having a rare, recessive genetic trait that you could inadvertently pass on to your children, as Del's parents had unknowingly passed on to him, was just too horrible a prospect.

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Del stared at her with his one functioning eye and said....

10. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    'Eva, you'd never believe who I saw today?
    'Who?
    'Alli!
    'Wow, your old flame.
    'Yes, she looked so old and still the same complaints. It is a wonder why she even goes on living.
    'She lives to complain, what else does she have. But guess who I saw today?'
    'Well come on, tell me?
    'Ann.
    'Oh. How was she?