Anyone still have one of those TVs that were big as a vw?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Was just looking through my photo albums tonight and I have one of those console Zenith TVs about the size of two big dog houses. Then a few years later I have one of the projection TVs that's the size of a small garage door lol.

Now I have TV in the palm of my hand....

Have a console Zenith and 32in Sony.

Been stashed in the garage for years.

They both still work.

Can't give them away. Don't want to toss them in the landfill.

Had an rca it was YUGE

also had a cool old sony projector. when an older friend was retiring and closing his bar he gave it to me .
He had it hanging on the ceiling ...it was an 80 model but it worked great in the loft
the best part it he still had the glass top

the console doubled as a coffee table ! i dont have the Unit anymore BUT i have the beautiful piece of glass still ...i think they still call it smoked
I found an old rod iron base /...piece of glass on top viola ITS still my coffee table

its not flimsy either ...its atleast a half inch thick

Started my credit on a Zenith superset console TV when I was young. I think I paid as much for that TV as a brand new Volkswagen cost at the time. It lasted for years though, so at least it had that going for it.

I’ve heard rumors in the old days you had to be close enough to the TV to reach the channel, volume, etc. dials.

Yes we did not grow up lazy, someone had to change channels and put the volume up and down. Now you just talk into the remote.

I grew up watching a TV... That sat upon one of those cabinet TV's with the built in record player. It was a nice cabinet, and the record player worked. But it was cheaper to buy a new tv, than it was to fix the cabinet TV... Go figure...

Back in the day, I had a top of the line Magnavox TV.

American made and weighed a ton.
.... :cool:

upload_2019-4-28_7-4-46.jpeg

Have a console Zenith and 32in Sony.

Been stashed in the garage for years.

They both still work.

Can't give them away. Don't want to toss them in the landfill.

In CA Goodwill will take them for recycling. I suppose they have workers tear them down to get Gold? Two were perfectly working, but they dont want for resale.

Mine and the wifes first TV cost us 20.00 bucks, and it was used. It had a metal body we painted red, rabbit ears with tin-foil, it was black and white, and it had the antenna outside as well that was cabled to it.

Loose signal, just go outside and spin the antenna till the wife inside says "stop, that's it". Soon as I took my hand off, she started hollering "what did ya do" ? So I put my hand back on and she said "that's it", like I was gonna stand outside until the show ended. LOL. About 20 minutes later she did bring me out a cup of coffee on the commercial break.

Then when I went back in to watch the movie Big Jake, the horizontal went fool, so I had to literally hit the side of it every 5 minutes during the show.

I was glad when it wouldn't work anymore. :)

Last edited:
In the mid 90s I bought a 36 Sony Wega CRT HD capable TV...for a whopping $3800. Great TV but it weighed about 200 pounds. Sold it last year for $100 to an avid gamer.

Was just looking through my photo albums tonight and I have one of those console Zenith TVs about the size of two big dog houses. Then a few years later I have one of the projection TVs that's the size of a small garage door lol.

Now I have TV in the palm of my hand....
No they all died away..I used to have the huge projector TVs hell now I have a 12 year old TV 32 inch and don't use it much.

Mine and the wifes first TV cost us 20.00 bucks, and it was used. It had a metal body we painted red, rabbit ears with tin-foil, it was black and white, and it had the antenna outside as well that was cabled to it.

Loose signal, just go outside and spin the antenna till the wife inside says "stop, that's it". Soon as I took my hand off, she started hollering "what did ya do" ? So I put my hand back on and she said "that's it", like I was gonna stand outside until the show ended. LOL. About 20 minutes later she did bring me out a cup of coffee on the commercial break.

Then when I went back in to watch the movie Big Jake, the horizontal went fool, so I had to literally hit the side of it every 5 minutes during the show.

Better tighten up that loose signal. You wouldn't want to lose it!

Better tighten up that loose signal. You wouldn't want to lose it!
Caught it... LOL

Forum List

Back