Anyone here NOT believe that the brain is genetically controlled like any other organ

IanC
Member #21028 Join Date: Sep 2009

Quote: Originally Posted by xÞx
Quote: Originally Posted by Charles Stucker
Quote: Originally Posted by xÞx
Blacks are more aggressive and tend to be intellectually inferior. They are 'less evolved', more closely resembling other great apes than other races within H.S.Sapiens.
What wonderful use of satire to mock ignorant racists. You sound just as stupid and arrogant as the real thing.
I applaud the effort.
http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/siegle/r...telligence.pdf
http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson...on-30years.pdf
Race, genes, and intelligence. (1) - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine
Racial Differences in Intelligence: What Mainstream Science Says.
http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/PPPL1.pdf
Race differences in average IQ are largely genetic
Racial IQ Differences – Hammer Finally Drops « Guy White: Making Sense On Race

Facts are facts
wow! you are really distorting those links. differently evolved is not less evolved. no one even remotely suggested that blacks are anything but human. and terms like 'inferior' are value statements that aren't used and do not belong in studies. blacks do have generally higher testosterone levels which leads to more aggression and do have different average levels of measured intelligence but that is simply nature's way of making them successful in their continental area of origin. I'm sure none of the authors would be pleased to see their thoughtful work associated with a racist rant.

that is my take on superior or inferior races

I don't have time to go through 8 pages of bullshit to find it you proved it or not.

But in a matter of words from this thread i get the idea that you're trying to say that there are more superior races then others and that science supports this.

before i get ahead of myself and say that is what you're trying to say, let's comfirn if that is accurate or not.

so, is that what you are trying to say or what?

like I said. you're too lazy to read what's already written but you're sure that you disagree, and you want me to do all the work of describing and supporting. typical!

i didn't say i agreed or disagreed with you... this dude

I wonder why Haiti didn't turn into a tropical paradise? or why all the colonized african countries sitting on a large portion of natural resources couldn't continue on the path of civilization? or why the uncolonized african nations couldn't become civilized?

could it be the people that live there by any chance? you need a cognitive elite to develop and run a country and that aint happening in sub-saharan africa or any black majority country that doesnt have non-black leaders to organize and run things

IanC,
Sorry for dropping the conversation...

...you need a cognitive elite to develop and run a country and that aint happening in sub-saharan africa or any black majority country that doesnt have non-black leaders to organize and run things

Hogwash. Civilized African states have existed and small pockets continue exist to this day.
One could even argue that if other peoples would simply leave Africa alone...
African civilization is different than Western civilization, though not neccesarily any less civilized.
For each brutal African dictator there is an European one, or an Asian one... so on and so on.

Elitism certainly is no answer to brutality... it could be argued that elitists are the direct cause of most of the worst acts of inhumanity.

But we are getting off the subject.

Waaay back on page three I think you posted this.
But any parent with more than one child knows that babies come out with their own personality; shy or outgoing, happy or morose, sharp or dull.
I find this contradictory to your claim of "intelligence" being purely genetic.

I apologize if any of these questions are redundant, I'm making the mistake of not actually reading the entire thread.

Did you ever state what your own understanding of what "intelligence" is?

Did you ever provide information that states that certain 'races' simply do not have the genetic tools to develop or nurture high "IQ"?

Last edited:
hey W_D, good to hear from you again.

But any parent with more than one child knows that babies come out with their own personality; shy or outgoing, happy or morose, sharp or dull.
I find this contradictory to your claim of "intelligence" being purely genetic.

why do you find it contradictory? my point was that twins are eerily alike in many ways even when they are raised apart. genetics causes that. how many of people's idiosyncracities would stand out if they had a twin to compare with? probably a lot. we don't know how much of personality is genetically driven but some studies of executive function (there is a link here somewhere) show that many personality traits are even more heritable than intelligence. plus there is the evidence of how intelligence appearantly becomes more heritable as a person ages, probably because the person chooses his environment after he reaches adulthood.

...you need a cognitive elite to develop and run a country and that aint happening in sub-saharan africa or any black majority country that doesnt have non-black leaders to organize and run things

there is a thread about black talent pool that addresses these issues. perhaps you could check it out.

Did you ever state what your own understanding of what "intelligence" is?

Did you ever provide information that states that certain 'races' simply do not have the genetic tools to develop or nurture high "IQ"?

I posted that Wall Street Journal letter to the editor, from 50+ academics in the field, as the main description of how I view intelligence. it is a strong and constant influence on everything we do. it doesnt guarantee success but it certainly helps and the facts and figures all support those statements

I posted that Wall Street Journal letter to the editor, from 50+ academics in the field, as the main description of how I view intelligence.

Yes, that I saw. And no, I did not read it all. I am more interested in your actual application of the word...

it is a strong and constant influence on everything we do. it doesnt guarantee success but it certainly helps and the facts and figures all support those statements

I dislike putting it this way...
Oh well, this is all in context I suppose.

A prevalent level of "high IQ" within a 'race' would not neccesarily be a guarantee of that 'race' having a collective "success", but it should be noticable in the "facts and figures", right?

Yes, that I saw. And no, I did not read it all. I am more interested in your actual application of the word...

I really think you should read all of the wsj letter. I actually think there is more to intelligence than the very conservative claims made in it.

A prevalent level of "high IQ" within a 'race' would not neccesarily be a guarantee of that 'race' having a collective "success", but it should be noticable in the "facts and figures", right?

again, I would point you to the thread 'Why do we continue to pretend there is an untapped black talent pool?'

there is a strong connection between general mental ability and educational achievement and job performance. here is a very interesting link from there. Test "Title" (the PDF at the top is easier to read and has the charts)

Last edited:
I really think you should read all of the wsj letter.
Hopefully I will get the chance to.

there is a strong connection between general mental ability and educational achievement and job performance. here is a very interesting link from there.

Is job performance a true measure of "collective success"?

Last edited:

Is job performance a true measure of "collective success"?

I don't quite get the point you are trying to make. are high IQ and job performance the only factors of 'collective success'? of course not. the world is a complicated place. is the fellow sitting in his climate controlled family room watching a big screen TV drinking beer and eating chips more happy than the fellow sitting in the jungle scratching his bare balls and eating low hanging fruit? not necessarily. but the western world has decided that technology and progress and materialism are the directions we want to go in. and people with high IQ and good job performance are the ones who accomplish it.

and in keeping with the title of the thread; thousands of years of evolution have given the white race an advantage genetically in exactly those things that white society considers important. things that make you go hmmmmmmm...
other societies are free to choose their own priorities but I don't see a massive influx of immigrants to China or India for a better way of life.

another article from MIT-
New research suggests that the layer of insulation coating neural wiring in the brain plays a critical role in determining intelligence. In addition, the quality of this insulation appears to be largely genetically determined, providing further support for the idea that IQ is partly inherited. Technology Review: Brain Images Reveal the Secret to Higher IQ 'Brain Images Reveal the Secret to Higher IQ'

there is a continuous stream of medical studies showing the correlation between brain structure, brain function, IQ, and heritability. the small patch of land that race/IQ/heritability-deniers are still able to stand on is shrinking fast to a tide of information. better put on a lifejacket

honestly the way people behave is environmental and not genetics.

you sound quite sure about that. but why? twin studies show that a great many behaviours seem to be heavily influenced by genetics. I have three children and they all seemed to have different personalities from the day they were born.

yet another heavily researched, peer reviewed study on genetic influence of human behaviour

The Origins of Antisocial Behaviour, Twin Study

New research on the origins of antisocial behaviour, published in the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, suggests that early-onset antisocial behaviour in children with psychopathic tendencies is largely inherited.

Dr Viding's research looked into the factors that contribute to antisocial behaviour in children with and without psychopathic tendencies. By studying sets of 7-year-old twins, Dr. Viding and her colleagues were able to pinpoint to what extent antisocial behaviour in these two groups was caused by genetic and/or environmental risk factors.

A sample of 3687 twin pairs formed the starting point for this research. Teacher ratings for antisocial behaviour and psychopathic tendencies (i.e. lack of empathy and remorse) were used to classify the twins. Those who were in the top 10% of the sample for antisocial behaviour were separated into two groups - those with and without psychopathic tendencies.

Following analysis, the results showed that, in children with psychopathic tendencies, antisocial behaviour was strongly inherited. In contrast, the antisocial behaviour of children who did not have psychopathic tendencies was mainly influenced by environmental factors. These findings are in line with previous research showing that children with psychopathic tendencies are at risk to continue their antisocial behaviour and are often resistant to traditional forms of intervention.

Twin studies can help distinguish between genetic and environmental determinants of violence, said Essi Viding of the Institute of Psychiatry in London. In antisocial 7-year-olds with callous and unemotional traits, Viding found, the antisocial behavior was strongly genetic in origin (a group heritability of 80%). If these youths can be identified early, perhaps with a genetic test on cells from a cheek swab, one could target programs for them. "Genes are not a blueprint that determines outcome," said Viding. "Rather, they act together with other risk or protective factors to increase or reduce the risk of disorder."

Antisocial behavior and physical violence, it turns out, are moderately heritable. A recent meta-analysis of behavioral genetic studies estimated that 41% of the variance on antisocial behavior is due to genetic factors, about 16% to shared environmental factors, and about 43% to nonshared environmental factors.

hmmm...so psychopathy, also known as predatory behaviour, is significantly genetic in origin. imagine that.

one more for the nature over nurture side of the argument

Public release date: 7-Feb-2007
[ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

[email protected]
202-289-7905
Society for Research in Child Development

Parents' genes, not parents' arguing, may cause children's conduct problems
Children's conduct problems--skipping school, sneaking out of the house, lying to parents, shoplifting, or bullying other children--are a major source of concern for parents and teachers. As a potential cause of these problems, parents' marital conflict has received a lot of research attention. Now a new study finds that parents' fighting may not be to blame but rather that parents who argue a lot may pass on genes for disruptive behavior to their children.

The findings are published in the January/February 2007 issue of the journal Child Development.

A group of researchers from the University of Virginia and several other universities looked at this question, studying 1,045 twins and their 2,051 children. Some of the parents were identical twins and shared all of their genes and some were fraternal and shared only half of their genes.

The study found that parents' fighting is not likely a cause of children's conduct problems. On the other hand, parents' genes influenced how often they argued with their spouses and these same genes, when passed to their children, caused more conduct problems.

"This study suggests that marital conflict is not a major culprit, but genes are," said K. Paige Harden, the lead researcher and graduate student at the University of Virginia. "Our findings have potential implications for treating conduct problems: Focusing on a child's parents, as is common in family therapy, may not be as effective as focusing on the child."

###
The study was supported, in part, by grants from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression.

Summarized from Child Development, Vol. 78, Issue 1, Marital Conflict and Conduct Problems in Children-of-Twins, by Harden, KP, Turkheimer, E, and Emery, RE (University of Virginia), D'Onofrio, BM (Indiana University), Slutske, WS (University of Missouri), Heath, AC (Washington University, St. Louis), and Martin, NG (Queensland Institute of Medical Research). Copyright 2007 The Society for Research in Child Development, Inc. All rights reserved.

Forum List

Back