Anyone else scared to fly? Confessions of a drama queen

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
or king, as it were.

Tonight my wife and I will leave our kids at -Cp's house, travel to the airport, hop a plane and fly to North Carolina. We'll rent a car, and drive to Myrtle Beach, SC for the weekend.

I'm not scared to fly. I'm scared of a catestrophic death. I'm sitting at my puter listening to PM Dawn (the group...remember them? :)) and I'm fighting the urges to create entire fictional situations. I'm fighting the urge to imagine my kids growing up with me or their momma. I'm struggling to keep my thoughts from "I wonder if -Cp will be as good of a Daddy to my little girl?" "What if she needs me some day?" "Will I be in Heaven watching from above as she cries in her room? At our funeral?"

I'm a drama queen...yeah. Sometimes, when a particularly GOOD country-song comes on the radio while I'm driving, I will bust out in tears. Butterfly Kisses. Yup. She Thinks She Needs Me? For sure. I Believe? Hell yeah. I Miss My Friend? Boo-hoo'in like a little biotch.

So - I'm going to get off the computer, start packing...making arrangements, etc. In the back of my mind I'll walk thru my day wondering if it's the last time my kids will see me. Mary asked me, last night, "I need you to be positive...I need to you 'know' everything will be alright (As much as she denies it, she's as much of a drama queen)."

I'll soldier-on. That's what I do. I keep telling myself, if I want to worry - worry MORE about the ~200 mile drive from Raleigh/Durham airport to Myrtle Beach SC. Looking at data, we're closer to death in that Mazda6 or equivolent mid-sized rental sedan, than we are in a Boeing 757.

So...That's it. Naturally, I'm sitting here typing this, crying like a big fat hairy baby. Hehe.

(sigh).

:)

You'r crazy! LOL!! You will be fine! Now, why in the world would you fly into Raliegh instead of the Myrtle Beach airport? Going back and forth from Illinois to NC, I'd fly in and out of Myrtle Beach (cheap tickets). The coolest was flying out though, you take off right over the ocean and do a hard turn. If you're sitting on the left side, your whole window is nothing but ocean. Pretty freaky but still cool!
Yall have fun!!

UsaPride said:
You'r crazy! LOL!! You will be fine! Now, why in the world would you fly into Raliegh instead of the Myrtle Beach airport? Going back and forth from Illinois to NC, I'd fly in and out of Myrtle Beach (cheap tickets). The coolest was flying out though, you take off right over the ocean and do a hard turn. If you're sitting on the left side, your whole window is nothing but ocean. Pretty freaky but still cool!
Yall have fun!!

Tickets to MB airport were/are $150 more, each. :-/

We'd have loved to fly direct, but it's SOOO Much more money than flying to RDU (One of the cheapest airports in the south, I might add, to fly to/from)

Said1 said:
Me too. I won't go into details, don't want to make things worse. :D

Sorry, can't help. Enjoy your trip though! Did I mention I hate you!

O cmon----details details !!!!!!!!! :tng:

-=d=- said:
Tickets to MB airport were/are $150 more, each. :-/
Good gracious, I got my tickets during the cheap times, $129 round trip :D Gotta love those "vacation specials", LOL! Not to mention, I had more volunteers to pick me up at MB airport than I did Raliegh/Durham, LOL!

UsaPride said:
Good gracious, I got my tickets during the cheap times, $129 round trip :D Gotta love those "vacation specials", LOL! Not to mention, I had more volunteers to pick me up at MB airport than I did Raliegh/Durham, LOL!

Even volunteers to pick me up at MB wouldn't justify spending $300 extra...a car rental is $120 + Gas. + we are moble...in case we wanna leave broadway-at-the-beach and hit the 'actual' beach. :D

I fly about 80,000 miles per year...sometimes more, sometimes less....and I drive 40K per year, too.

I am more afraid of the things that will cause harm on the road than in the air by far! I understand your fear of the sudden stop that can come while in a plane, and it is rational, since you drive alot more than you fly (presumably). If you spent more time in the air, I am certain you would reverse your thought process, as have I....and fear driving more.

Your kids are going to be fine, and so will you....have a couple of adult beverages in the lounge at the airport and relax.

Just one word of advice, though.....take about $40 extra buck, and make sure you get there at least 2 hours early to avoid the rush and any other anxiety that being hurried and late can add to your already sensitive psyche.

Now go shave your back, and look good on the beach!

-=d=- said:

Even volunteers to pick me up at MB wouldn't justify spending $300 extra...a car rental is $120 + Gas. + we are moble...in case we wanna leave broadway-at-the-beach and hit the 'actual' beach. :D
Hey, I totally agree. I hope the weather warms up some for you so you can actually get in the beach. Unless you're one of the crazy ones that jump in while it's cold out, LOL!
I never flew into MB to stay there. One airport is just about as far away from me here than the other.

hate to fly....

episode 1: san luis obispo airport.....pilot locked out of the plane and was knocking on the door to get back in....instilled a great deal of confidence

episode 2: san luis obispo....heavy fog.....pilot dive bombed the runway pulling up at the last second and then says....sorry about that couldn't see the runway but thought i would drop down for a look

episode 3: aeroflot (moscow to copenhagen)....almost hit a ship in copenhagen harbour....looked out the window and saw curise line ship smoke stacks go by

episode 4: gulfstream san francsico to cobo....upon landing.....i am looking out the side window down the runway....pilot was looking out the front window at the terminal...heavy crosswind

i drink a lot now before i get on a plane

Don't worry D..Take it from an ole experienced Pilot, those Airline guys are well trained..."KIDS"....Have fun! Oh one more thing...if anything were to happen do ya think you'll still
be able to post here at USMB? It would be great to hear about the otherside from someone really there.:D

Now go have fun!!!!!!!!!:beer:

Over the past 5 years, I've flown about 40times (more than that if you count each leg of every flight) or more and don't really have any deep issues with it. Do I now "enjoy" flying? Tough question, I enjoy the time-savings it brings me; driving to all the locations I go to would suck.

I think what bothers me more than the actual flying is all the drama at the airports.

The way I look at it is "I've never met a pilot that had anymore of a deathwish than I do" - these guys know their stuff, and I doubt they'd be sitting behind the controls of the plane, taxing down the runway if it ever crossed their mind that something might go catustrophic.

Oh, and it's not the sudden stop at the end of a crash that scares most people, it's the 60 seconds or so of falling out of the sky that would blow the hardest...

-Cp said:
Over the past 5 years, I've flown about 40times (more than that if you count each leg of every flight) or more and don't really have any deep issues with it. Do I now "enjoy" flying? Tough question, I enjoy the time-savings it brings me; driving to all the locations I go to would suck.

I think what bothers me more than the actual flying is all the drama at the airports.

The way I look at it is "I've never met a pilot that had anymore of a deathwish than I do" - these guys know their stuff, and I doubt they'd be sitting behind the controls of the plane, taxing down the runway if it ever crossed their mind that something might go catustrophic.

Oh, and it's not the sudden stop at the end of a crash that scares most people, it's the 60 seconds or so of falling out of the sky that would blow the hardest...

One more thing Cp...we the Pilots, would also arrive at the scene of the crash first.
Yep...there is lots of self preservation in there...Believe me.:D

Blah... It's that time of year again...I'm going thru the SAME rush of emotions.

In fact, Right this very second I can picture the pain my little girl would go through as they dropped what was left of her parents into the ground. I can see her face. I can see her tears. I can hear the sound of her sobs as she curls up in her bed, hugging her build-a-bear and a photo of her mother and Me.

Unfreakinbelievable. I'm seriously in full teared-up mode right now. :(

I HATE being such a drama queen.

It's just four flights. Out of THOUSANDS which will happen this year.

We leave Thursday night.

dmp said:
Blah... It's that time of year again...I'm going thru the SAME rush of emotions.

In fact, Right this very second I can picture the pain my little girl would go through as they dropped what was left of her parents into the ground. I can see her face. I can see her tears. I can hear the sound of her sobs as she curls up in her bed, hugging her build-a-bear and a photo of her mother and Me.

Unfreakinbelievable. I'm seriously in full teared-up mode right now. :(

I HATE being such a drama queen.

It's just four flights. Out of THOUSANDS which will happen this year.

We leave Thursday night.

Everything will be fine. Deep down inside you know it will. You are just being a great dad. Worrying about your kids. The "What-if's", etc.

Everyone who knows you knows how much you love your kids - they know what a great dad you are.

You are feeling and thinking what EVERY parent should when they go someplace without their kids.

More parents need to be like you.

*manhug*

Have a great trip...all will be fine.

You'd better change the location in your profile - you don't seem to be in a "happy place".. :D

Forum List

Back