Any wrestlers?

brewerboy

May 24, 2009
Central Illinois
I'm pretty hard-core myself.

Been wrestling since I was very young. The family joke is that my first practice I took a stuffed animal along. I refuse to believe it :tongue:

My oldest brother is pretty hard-core himself. He was a state Champ back in the 80s, and was one of my 3 Junior High wrestling coaches. We're both the assholes that are at the side of the mat screaming when it comes to friends wrestling.

My mom told us the story of sitting in the stands at a tournament one year while I was wrestling. A couple other moms were commenting on what an asshole my brother was and how mean he was being to me. My mom just turned around and said "They're brothers, and both are die-hard." :lol:

I'm a big fan of both the double and single legs and I also use the T-bar every chance I get (if you havent experienced the T-Bar, thank your lucky stars). Dont even attempt to get me in a front headlock, cause you'll just end up on your back. My bread and butter is what we call the "Head in armpit" where you do just that. When you got a mofo on his belly, grab his wrist and turn it, tightwaist em, and ram your head in his armpit and walk torwards his head. He'll be on his back in .2 and it wont be long til the ref blows his whistle and slaps his hand on the mat.

I've been known to make people puke with my tight-waist :tongue:

My dad used to wrestle and he showed us a few moves, they have come in handy over the years in difficuilt situations when close up or down and dirty.Anyone that thinks it's fake, take my word for it, it's not for soft shites.:cool:

My dad used to wrestle and he showed us a few moves, they have come in handy over the years in difficuilt situations when close up or down and dirty.Anyone that thinks it's fake, take my word for it, it's not for soft shites.:cool:

Absolutely.

I cant think of a fight I've gotten into where I didnt resort to the ol tricks of the trade.

It USUALLY works out well for me :tongue:

Wrestling, judo etc beats striking arts in real life hands down.

Wrestling, judo etc beats striking arts in real life hands down.

I agree.

Hell if you know a little bit about ANYTHING you're better prepared for a fight than most guys you'll be fighting off the street.

Not to say I havent been on the business end of a an ass beating here and there :lol:

Been wrestling since I was very young. The family joke is that my first practice I took a stuffed animal along. I refuse to believe it :tongue:

My oldest brother is pretty hard-core himself. He was a state Champ back in the 80s, and was one of my 3 Junior High wrestling coaches. We're both the assholes that are at the side of the mat screaming when it comes to friends wrestling.

My mom told us the story of sitting in the stands at a tournament one year while I was wrestling. A couple other moms were commenting on what an asshole my brother was and how mean he was being to me. My mom just turned around and said "They're brothers, and both are die-hard." :lol:

I'm a big fan of both the double and single legs and I also use the T-bar every chance I get (if you havent experienced the T-Bar, thank your lucky stars). Dont even attempt to get me in a front headlock, cause you'll just end up on your back. My bread and butter is what we call the "Head in armpit" where you do just that. When you got a mofo on his belly, grab his wrist and turn it, tightwaist em, and ram your head in his armpit and walk torwards his head. He'll be on his back in .2 and it wont be long til the ref blows his whistle and slaps his hand on the mat.

I was All State 1988 (5th) and got a partial scholarship to Eastern Michigan University. In college, our assistant coach was Steve Frasier, olympic gold medalist. He was a bad mother fo. He beat the shit out of me daily and I loved it because now who's gonna scare me? Right? You get beat up by the best and it makes everyone else a lot less intimidating.

I quit baseball, basketball and football my sophomore year because of politics in team sports and was too young to start working, so someone suggested I try out for wrestling. I was a natural right from the start. I don't know a lot of moves, but could instintively get out/away when someone had me down. I could headlock, front headlock, pancake. What I didn't know, I made up for in strength. Guys at the state tournament who could beat me because they had been wrestling for years said to me, "god I wish I was built like you". 5'6, 17 inch biceps, built like Mike Tyson.

I was metro detroit powerlifting champ my senior year, so you can imagine I was strong as a bull. No one could pin me because I could just bridge on my head while they were on top of me. I was the funniest wrestler you ever saw. I would pick guys up and carry them around the ring like rag dolls.

You know how it is illegal to slam someone on their back? Well I would pick guys up and run across the ring and dive with them on the bottom, only I would make sure their feet hit first, because then it was legal. The first year I wrestled I learned a lot because the guy who was varsity would never go to tournaments when there were other guys that could beat him. So I'd go and win a few matches and then those great wrestlers who were older than me would beat the crap out of me. That year I was 167 not 155, and I was also young for my grade. So here I was a 15 year old getting beat up by 17 and 18 year olds. But I won enough matches to get my varsity letter the first year. I was so happy.

And I broke my highschool record for takedowns because I didn't know what to do with them once I got them down, so I just let them up and took them down over and over again. LOL. I wouldn't advise it. Very tiring.

I went to a freestyle tournament and was the first person in Michigan to pick someone up when they were trying to fish and souflay them onto their back for a pin/win. Before that, it was only worth points but they changed the rule that year so me and my buddies practiced on those big cushy mats that you use to practice throws. The kid tried to fish onto the ground but before his stomach hit the mat, I had him locked up. I got a standing ovation. Then in the finals some skinny kid who freestyled his whole life beat me by tossing me everytime I came in. I didn't even realize he was getting all those points for the throws and I wasn't getting any for ending up on top. It was sooo embarrassing.

I even invented a move. The league where I grew up actually calls it by my last name. I don't know a lot of moves, so I had to make some up. When they are on the bottom and you are on top, I put my right leg in between their legs, only not the leg you are thinking. I put my right leg in between but I go in from your left side. That's not the right side. But then the opponent always locks your leg with theirs instinctively. So then you grab their head and arm, straighten them out by straightening your leg back and act like you are trying to pop their head off like a dandylion, and then roll. I could never pin anyone this way but I got back points.

Anyways, I love wrestling. It got me into college and to this day I'm still a bad ass at 38. I even got attacked at a mall by 3 20somethings and I whooped this kid who was 6 foot something and about 250 lbs. He didn't see that coming. I'm 5'6, old and fat now. LOL.

You should go into ultimate fighting. A few of my boys have. One of my buddies, I used to beat him in wrestling all the time, is now in the UFC

Here he is. James Lee. UFC 80: Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee (Exclusive) at UFC blog for UFC news, results, videos, rumors, fights, pics and tickets — MMAmania.com

He got his ass kicked by Alessio because he didn't train hard. He's lazy. Just look how soft he is. He tried to shoot in on this guy and pulled his back. What did he expect? He's got to be 36 years old by now. And his opponent was smart to go down to 205 and James is staying a heavyweight so he doesn't have to lose weight. LOL. Probably sick of losing weight. I know I was by the time I stopped.

So have you placed in the state tournament yet? How old are you? And what weight?

Last edited:
High school wrestling in Hawaii---5th in state. Take down artist

What was your bread and butter take-down?

I'd act like I was trying to push them to show how strong I am, and so they would push back, and then I'd pancake them.

Or I would wave my leg out to them hoping they'd go for it and then underhook them.

Say, one of my favorite moves was a front headlock and I would shuck them and spin behind them for the points. You said you could counter the front headlock? How?

I was All State 1988 (5th) and got a partial scholarship to Eastern Michigan University. In college, our assistant coach was Steve Frasier, olympic gold medalist. He was a bad mother fo. He beat the shit out of me daily and I loved it because now who's gonna scare me? Right? You get beat up by the best and it makes everyone else a lot less intimidating.

I quit baseball, basketball and football my sophomore year because of politics in team sports and was too young to start working, so someone suggested I try out for wrestling. I was a natural right from the start. I don't know a lot of moves, but could instintively get out/away when someone had me down. I could headlock, front headlock, pancake. What I didn't know, I made up for in strength. Guys at the state tournament who could beat me because they had been wrestling for years said to me, "god I wish I was built like you". 5'6, 17 inch biceps, built like Mike Tyson.

I was metro detroit powerlifting champ my senior year, so you can imagine I was strong as a bull. No one could pin me because I could just bridge on my head while they were on top of me. I was the funniest wrestler you ever saw. I would pick guys up and carry them around the ring like rag dolls.

You know how it is illegal to slam someone on their back? Well I would pick guys up and run across the ring and dive with them on the bottom, only I would make sure their feet hit first, because then it was legal. The first year I wrestled I learned a lot because the guy who was varsity would never go to tournaments when there were other guys that could beat him. So I'd go and win a few matches and then those great wrestlers who were older than me would beat the crap out of me. That year I was 167 not 155, and I was also young for my grade. So here I was a 15 year old getting beat up by 17 and 18 year olds. But I won enough matches to get my varsity letter the first year. I was so happy.

And I broke my highschool record for takedowns because I didn't know what to do with them once I got them down, so I just let them up and took them down over and over again. LOL. I wouldn't advise it. Very tiring.

I went to a freestyle tournament and was the first person in Michigan to pick someone up when they were trying to fish and souflay them onto their back for a pin/win. Before that, it was only worth points but they changed the rule that year so me and my buddies practiced on those big cushy mats that you use to practice throws. The kid tried to fish onto the ground but before his stomach hit the mat, I had him locked up. I got a standing ovation. Then in the finals some skinny kid who freestyled his whole life beat me by tossing me everytime I came in. I didn't even realize he was getting all those points for the throws and I wasn't getting any for ending up on top. It was sooo embarrassing.

I even invented a move. The league where I grew up actually calls it by my last name. I don't know a lot of moves, so I had to make some up. When they are on the bottom and you are on top, I put my right leg in between their legs, only not the leg you are thinking. I put my right leg in between but I go in from your left side. That's not the right side. But then the opponent always locks your leg with theirs instinctively. So then you grab their head and arm, straighten them out by straightening your leg back and act like you are trying to pop their head off like a dandylion, and then roll. I could never pin anyone this way but I got back points.

Anyways, I love wrestling. It got me into college and to this day I'm still a bad ass at 38. I even got attacked at a mall by 3 20somethings and I whooped this kid who was 6 foot something and about 250 lbs. He didn't see that coming. I'm 5'6, old and fat now. LOL.

You should go into ultimate fighting. A few of my boys have. One of my buddies, I used to beat him in wrestling all the time, is now in the UFC

Here he is. James Lee. UFC 80: Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee (Exclusive) at UFC blog for UFC news, results, videos, rumors, fights, pics and tickets — MMAmania.com

He got his ass kicked by Alessio because he didn't train hard. He's lazy. Just look how soft he is. He tried to shoot in on this guy and pulled his back. What did he expect? He's got to be 36 years old by now. And his opponent was smart to go down to 205 and James is staying a heavyweight so he doesn't have to lose weight. LOL. Probably sick of losing weight. I know I was by the time I stopped.

So have you placed in the state tournament yet? How old are you? And what weight?

Great post.

I'd like to see your invented move. If its what I'm thinking of we call it "The Metzger" named after a guy who wrestled for the Iowa Hawkeyes (I believe). Speaking of the Hawkeyes, I'm very fond of my Dan Gable autograph lol.

I thought about doing some UFC stuff locally. Theres a club in town that used to be run by this guy Phil Johns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia My older brother wrestled with him. When I was 21 he bailed my ass out of a 3 on 1 bar-fight by coming up and putting his arm around my shoulder. Lol, things settled down rather quick.

"Little Giant" is our school mascot, and it also fits Mr. Johns QUITE well.

The main thing stopping me from doing some UFC stuff is my jaw. I shattered it in 3 places one summer in high school. Busted out most of my teeth and was told that if it was broke that bad again, theres a possibility of it having to be replaced. I cant get punched in the mouth without having to go to the dentist, which I hate.

I'm currently 23. The best I got in state was 10th, but I whomped the 3rd place finisher earlier that year. Still pisses me off.

And yes, I was sick and friggin tired of cutting weight by the time I was done wrestling. My record is losing 7 pounds in less than 24 hours.

High school wrestling in Hawaii---5th in state. Take down artist

I'd act like I was trying to push them to show how strong I am, and so they would push back, and then I'd pancake them.

Or I would wave my leg out to them hoping they'd go for it and then underhook them.

Say, one of my favorite moves was a front headlock and I would shuck them and spin behind them for the points. You said you could counter the front headlock? How?

When someones got you in the front headlock, grab the arm that is around your head at the elbow. With your other arm (your opponent should be holding that arm up by your shoulder) put your hand right into his hip. You'll be throwing with that arm.

Ya gotta be quick on this next part, or you'll screw yourself:

If your opponent has your right arm, you step into them with your right leg while at the same time sitting to your ass, put a little UMPH into it.

It takes some practice, but once you have it down, they go flying to their back everytime, with you on top.

And of course, this doesnt work if someones front headlocked you while you're on your knees. But any self respecting wrestler knows better than to stay on their knees for too long.

I'm currently 23. The best I got in state was 10th, but I whomped the 3rd place finisher earlier that year. Still pisses me off.

To place in the state tournament, I had to beat the guy who took 3rd the year before. It was the match of my life. I still have it on tape. I need to put it on dvd. When I won, I picked him up and threw him in the air, not realizing that he probably wasn't sharing my happiness. I never thought I'd beat him. LOL.

My coach taped all our matches. I'm so glad I have it.

Yes I bet it still bugs you. I have dreams that I got to go back one more year to see how I would have done with one more year. For one, I was only 17 my senior year and 2, I only started in 10th grade. But anyways, the dream turns into a nightmare because I DON'T even place the next year.

Just like the guy I beat who took 3rd the year before. Can you imagine how pissed he was to not even place his senior year? Poor guy.

Know what else bugs me? I could have taken 4th but I gave up. I was so happy to have placed that I just gassed out. I'll never forget doing that. One more fucking match!!! Suck it up Sealy!!! And I think I was ahead on points when I gave up.

Oh, and I ran into a guy who I knocked out of the tournament. He's a friend of a friend. I don't even remember the match, but he does. He says it haunts him to this day. But he gave me props for being a brick shit house. But he said he knew I wasn't a great wrestler, just strong. He said "everyone knew it"

It is so funny how people think of you and you don't even know. I didn't even know anyone knew my name.

Wrestling was THE BEST!!!

When someones got you in the front headlock, grab the arm that is around your head at the elbow. With your other arm (your opponent should be holding that arm up by your shoulder) put your hand right into his hip. You'll be throwing with that arm.

Ya gotta be quick on this next part, or you'll screw yourself:

If your opponent has your right arm, you step into them with your right leg while at the same time sitting to your ass, put a little UMPH into it.

It takes some practice, but once you have it down, they go flying to their back everytime, with you on top.

And of course, this doesnt work if someones front headlocked you while you're on your knees. But any self respecting wrestler knows better than to stay on their knees for too long.

My ju jitsu friend showed me a move where he reached between my legs and just flipped me off of him when I had him in full guard.

I was like, "why didn't they teach us that in wrestling"?

And we sparred once. I took him down quick and hard. Do you know what happened next? He choked me out with my own shirt. :lol:

Have a great weekend. We'll talk more next week. I'll look for this thread on Monday. Piece out!!!

To place in the state tournament, I had to beat the guy who took 3rd the year before. It was the match of my life. I still have it on tape. I need to put it on dvd. When I won, I picked him up and threw him in the air, not realizing that he probably wasn't sharing my happiness. I never thought I'd beat him. LOL.

Yes I bet it still bugs you. I have dreams that I got to go back one more year to see how I would have done with one more year. For one, I was only 17 my senior year and 2, I only started in 10th grade. But anyways, the dream turns into a nightmare because I DON'T even place the next year.

Just like the guy I beat who took 3rd the year before. Can you imagine how pissed he was to not even place his senior year? Poor guy.

Know what else bugs me? I could have taken 4th but I gave up. I was so happy to have placed that I just gassed out. I'll never forget doing that. One more fucking match!!! Suck it up Sealy!!! And I think I was ahead on points when I gave up.

Oh, and I ran into a guy who I knocked out of the tournament. He's a friend of a friend. I don't even remember the match, but he does. He says it haunts him to this day. But he gave me props for being a brick shit house. But he said he knew I wasn't a great wrestler, just strong. He said "everyone knew it"

It is so funny how people think of you and you don't even know. I didn't even know anyone knew my name.

Yes sir. I have names etched into my head that I prolly wont ever forget.

One of the best presents I ever received was from my mother. She took all my wrestling matches that she had taped (damn near every match I wrestled bless her) and put em on DVD. My babys momma is SICK of watching it. :lol:

Did you ever have a "mind-fuck" trick? I always loved wrestling the guys who came out on the mat slapping their head-gear chest and thighs and jumping around like idiots. My favorite thing to do was walk out on the mat, line my right foot up to the box and just sit down Indian style and give ya my stare. Look a mofo directly in the eyes. Everyone would try to give me the stare back, but the moment they broke eye contact I knew I had em mentally.

I could almost hear em thinking "This guys such a badass, hes not even nervous!" Plus it made them look like D-bags for coming out and slapping themselves and what-not. :tongue:

I agree. I couldnt imagine my life had I never wrestled. I would probably be a sally.

My head high school coach was one for various stats.

His favorite was "90% of matches are won by the guy who gets the first take-down!"

I once made the mistake of jokingly calling him an old man. He didnt find it funny, and I paid DEARLY for that. :lol:

Funny story about myself. Amazingly, I havent heard it until tonight:

The whole family was gathered around tonight, which is a somewhat rare occasion. We happened to be going through pictures comparing my oldest brother and I to our children when we came across a pic of me at about 2 years old with wrestling head-gear on.

I've seen the picture a hundred times before, but had never been told the story behind it.

Evidently, when I was 2-ish, I took to wearing my oldest bros spare head-gear around wherever I went. My father being the rock on guy he was decided that if thats what I wanted to wear, by God I was gonna be allowed to wear it. Who was it hurting?

Turns out, I wore the damn things daily, for about 6 months straight. We have a every couple year tradition of having a Thanksgiving lunch at a local State Park that offers a Thanksgiving Luncheon. According to my mother, people looked at me like I was a special needs child, except of course, the families that had at least one wrestler amongst them. Some members of said wrestling families walked up to my parents and said random things like "How cute" and "I bet he'll be a college wrestler before you know it!" etc etc.

So I learned today that I can honestly say that I was hardcore since BEFORE I can remember :lol:

Yes sir. I have names etched into my head that I prolly wont ever forget.

One of the best presents I ever received was from my mother. She took all my wrestling matches that she had taped (damn near every match I wrestled bless her) and put em on DVD. My babys momma is SICK of watching it. :lol:

Did you ever have a "mind-fuck" trick? I always loved wrestling the guys who came out on the mat slapping their head-gear chest and thighs and jumping around like idiots. My favorite thing to do was walk out on the mat, line my right foot up to the box and just sit down Indian style and give ya my stare. Look a mofo directly in the eyes. Everyone would try to give me the stare back, but the moment they broke eye contact I knew I had em mentally.

I could almost hear em thinking "This guys such a badass, hes not even nervous!" Plus it made them look like D-bags for coming out and slapping themselves and what-not. :tongue:

I agree. I couldnt imagine my life had I never wrestled. I would probably be a sally.

I didn't do it to intimidate, but I would pace back and forth like a worked up pit bull on a short chain. I would get PUMPED UP before every match. Then when it is your turn, you go into the team huddle and the coach gives you last minute advice and we all put our hands together for a GO WARRIORS. Then my asst. coach always smacked me in the head. I wanted to fucking kill him. It would break my concentration. I can't remember if he did that every single time because I must have asked him to stop, but I remember it so maybe he did it everytime??? But then I would go up to that line as fast as I could and have my toe on it before the other guy would be walking out. And my front foot would shake. If you were wrestling me, you knew from the first second that you had a bear coming at you. But if you were good and I could not totally overwhelm you within 15 seconds, then the match settled down and I realized, ok, this guy isn't going to be a pushover.

How's this for a state championship tournament experience. I lost my first match. I was stunned. I thought I wouldn't make it. Then I won the next match, and the next, and next and all of the sudden I have to beat last year's #3, and I did. Then I won one more and then I lost, TO THE GUY WHO BEAT ME IN THE FIRST MATCH!!! He threw me in the first match by saying GOD BLESS YOU. Then he wooped me. In the last match, I was ahead and gassed/gave up. That's why I am sad about the last match, because I pussed out. My brother said I was just happy to have placed and settled. I wish I had that match back. But too late. Anyways, if not for wrestling, I wouldn't have gotten into a University and I don't know if I would have went to college at all. My dad was going to get me a job at Ford. Funny thing is, right now I would have 21 years at Ford and a pension. I know things are shaky, but having a pension is sweet. I could find something else to do until I retire and the pensions are backed by the government.

Anyways, I wrestled in college for a year and it was horrible. Steve Frasier (olympic gold medalist) had us on his olympic training schedule 3 a days. 6am run, Noon hour practice and the real practice at night.

YEA RIGHT, and take 12 credit hours? Fuck that. Plus, I was done wrestling. We could only party 1 night a week??? Fuck that. I got so much pussy and had so much fun after I quit. But without wrestling, i would never have been there.

I joined a frat my junior year. We had inter fraternity competitions. Jello shots, bands, the works. One was wrestling. The guys go, "sealy, you wrestled, right?" so I sign up. I'm 5'6 and wrestled 155. In college I was 200. In the weigh in, the guys in line with me were laughing at me. I LOVED IT. First match, pin in less than a minute. Second match, did my patented move and the kid didn't know how to really wrestle so he dislocated his shoulder trying to stop it (stupid move) and the last guy I 15 pointed. I was legendary on campus from there on out.

Forum List

Back