Any Tips for San Juan Puerto Rico

Barrachina - Birthplace of the Original Piña Colada

Here's where the Pina Colada was invented.

Not very far to walk from the square in Old San Juan.

OMG!! I am so all over THAT!!!! rum... coconut.... pineapple....what is not to love!!! Thanks!!!!!!!! :smiliehug:

I think we had dinner there too but, for the life of me, I can't remember what we ate ...

RitzCarlton isn't very far from the hotel where we always stay. Probably a lot nicer too! I love our hotel though. Lots of charm, older, kinda strange. But nice and love the bistro for breakfast. You could go the whole day on two cups of that incredible coffee and you really should treat yourself to that.

Plaza del Armas, catty corner from the square. I posted the website earlier. There are two cafes on the first floor. If you're facing the front door from the sidewalk, go to the one on the left for breakfast and the one on the right for lunch or dinner.

Barrachina - Birthplace of the Original Piña Colada

Here's where the Pina Colada was invented.

Not very far to walk from the square in Old San Juan.

OMG!! I am so all over THAT!!!! rum... coconut.... pineapple....what is not to love!!! Thanks!!!!!!!! :smiliehug:

I think we had dinner there too but, for the life of me, I can't remember what we ate ...

RitzCarlton isn't very far from the hotel where we always stay. Probably a lot nicer too! I love our hotel though. Lots of charm, older, kinda strange. But nice and love the bistro for breakfast. You could go the whole day on two cups of that incredible coffee and you really should treat yourself to that.

Plaza del Armas, catty corner from the square. I posted the website earlier. There are two cafes on the first floor. If you're facing the front door from the sidewalk, go to the one on the left for breakfast and the one on the right for lunch or dinner.

walking distance close do you think? If it is...i may have to wonder over for breakfast.

walking distance close do you think? If it is...i may have to wonder over for breakfast.

Not sure. Check a map to see how far RC is from the square. The hotel is right on the corner and just across the street.

Also, on the square, check out the statue of the man sitting on the bench with the pigeons. Cool.

And, statues by Jorge Zeno. Darn. Can't quite remember the exact location. I could take you there though. Guess I'll just have to go with you.

This is the hotel - pink - taken from the square -
hotel-front.jpg.1140x481_0_253_11400.jpg

Its easy to find the square cuz its the center of everything. Check out the shops. Very cool stuff.

Here's a photo of the Jorge Zeno art

Outdoor Art in Old San Juan: It?s All Around You | Puerto Rico Day Trips Travel Guide

osj-art-1g.jpg

The penguins in a boat is just wonderful. I had a photo exhibition and won a prize for my photo of it. I have since done a postcard of it which sells very well in San Juan. :)

And, the man in the park statue -

SanJuan

There's even a Marshall's on the square where we bought a few things for our stay on Vieques.

Sorry, photo of the man on the park bench won't c/p.

Do a google search for "old san juan, statue of man on park bench", click on images. Its the first one.

Its probably too late, you've probably been and come back but I just thought of this --

Be sure to look for the Southern Cross.

When you see the Southern Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from is so small
But it's as big as the promise, the promise of a comin' day

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuLBhxZUkmU&feature=kp]Crosby Stills Nash - Southern Cross - YouTube[/ame]

I saw the Southern Cross from this tour -

Island Adventures Biobay Tours, Vieques Island - Puerto Rico

No moon that night and then it rained. Just incredibly beautiful. The bioluminescent creatures were just thick in the water and with each rain drop, there was an explosion of their light. And then, looking up, the sky was alive with stars.

If there's any way you can do this - its just WOW.

Its probably too late, you've probably been and come back but I just thought of this --

Be sure to look for the Southern Cross.

When you see the Southern Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from is so small
But it's as big as the promise, the promise of a comin' day

Crosby Stills Nash - Southern Cross - YouTube

oohh... cool

no...the first of next month..... so coming sssooonnn!!!

I saw the Southern Cross from this tour -

Island Adventures Biobay Tours, Vieques Island - Puerto Rico

No moon that night and then it rained. Just incredibly beautiful. The bioluminescent creatures were just thick in the water and with each rain drop, there was an explosion of their light. And then, looking up, the sky was alive with stars.

If there's any way you can do this - its just WOW.

i will have a waxing crescent moon..... i love looking at the stars!

oohh.... and i also must look for this thing called.....mofongo

woot!

Alright....

ive booked a 6 hour Private tour guide/driver. I have asked to be taken to the "Pork Highway" for the best roasted pork on the island, a bakery that has the best Pastelillo de Guayaba, and visit the hat shop Olé.

hows that????

Make sure to visit El Yunque.

El Yunque National Forest - Home

And feast on some Mofungo.

Puerto Rican Food - Mofongo

It's amazing.

i dont think i will have time to make to the national forest... and i am bummed. It is the only tropical forest in the NFS.

I am most definably hunting down this mofongo! ..... i am thinking pork over seafood. Have you ever had it....i have not .

You should rent a car though. Nothing's very far away in PR and 3 of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life are on the island.

thinking about doing that..... Andrew Zimmerman did a show (must look it up) on something called.... "the pork highway" ..... it looked great!!!

Yes! That's up in the mountains (if it's the same place I'm thinking of). The pork all over the island is great but up in the mountains for whatever reason are the best places.

Now if you rent a car here are 4 places you MUST visit!

1. Gilligan's Island - the most beautiful place that I've ever been in my life. Nobody knows about it so you might have to brush up on some basic spanish. You can find info and it's location online though.
2. Flamenco Beach on the island of Culebra - you can only get there on a ferry but that beach is regularly voted onto lists of the top 10 beaches in the world. The ferry will also take you to Vieques but I haven't been there since it stopped being a military testing ground. I've heard that's beautiful too.
3. El Yunque - the rainforest in PR is the only rainforest in the world that has grown in the last few centuries. Take the path to the waterfall in the middle it's amazing (but there's usually lots of people there :doubt:). Still worth it though
4. The Bio-luminescent bay in Fajardo - this was a candidate for one of the modern 7 wonders of the world. You can take a canoe or kayak out to the bay where microscopic bacteria glow beneath the water and it looks like a starlit sky beneath you. When I went you were allowed to swim and if you splashed water in the air it looked like you were throwing stars it was amazing!

Other places:
Arecibo Observatory - this is famous for being the location of the last fight scent in James Bond's Goldeneye. It's the largest radio observatory in the world and it's pretty cool.
El Morro - a castle in Old San Juan. It's beautiful and you can take great pictures there

Food:
CUBAN SANDWICHES! If you've never had one DO IT!!!!!!!!!
Majorca - get it fresh with powdered sugar on top
Mofongo - mashed plantains with your choice of meat (I like pork on it)
Churrasco - Puerto Rican style flank steak
Pastelillo de Guayaba - learn how to pronounce it and stop at any roadside bakery. They're my favorite desserts!

If I remember anything else I'll post it later :)

[MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION]

@TheOldSchool
:thup: cuban sandwich.... I think its all about the pickles and bread. YUMMY!!
:thup: Majorca rolls...both plane AND with ham and cheese!!! YUMMY!!!
:thup: Mofongo..... i have so got to look for that now when i got to maimi!! YUMMY.
:thup: on the Pastelilo de guayaba! OMG...i have to to try and make it now! Though i did like it better without the powdered sugar. OMG...YUMMY!!!

I almost forgot!!!

Pina Coladas!!! Drink them!!!

And not the tourist trap ones in Old San Juan get one at a restaurant :thup:

mmmmmmm...... Rum....why is the rum gone!! I though about doing the Bacardi distillary tour. I love rum... though am not a fan of Bacardi

Casa Bacardi Distillery Tour - San Juan - Reviews of Casa Bacardi Distillery Tour - TripAdvisor

and....i found the pork highway!!!

Andrew Explores Puerto Rico : Video : Travel Channel

Oh shit the rum!!! How could I forget! The Bacardi tour is great AND they give you an original Mojito for free :thup:

I carried on 4 bottles of Puetro Rican Rum....... and not bacardi :)

Forum List

Back