any thoughts on this?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
prayer for bush

US soldiers in Iraq asked to pray for Bush
They may be the ones facing danger on the battlefield, but US soldiers in Iraq are being asked to pray for President George W Bush.

Thousands of marines have been given a pamphlet called "A Christian's Duty," a mini prayer book which includes a tear-out section to be mailed to the White House pledging the soldier who sends it in has been praying for Bush.

"I have committed to pray for you, your family, your staff and our troops during this time of uncertainty and tumult. May God's peace be your guide," says the pledge, according to a journalist embedded with coalition forces.

The pamphlet, produced by a group called In Touch Ministries, offers a daily prayer to be made for the US president, a born-again Christian who likes to invoke his God in speeches.

Sunday's is "Pray that the President and his advisers will seek God and his wisdom daily and not rely on their own understanding".

Monday's reads "Pray that the President and his advisers will be strong and courageous to do what is right regardless of critics".

I think it is the most egocentric abuse of power I know of from him.

1. He should not be telling them what to pray for
2. He is making a situation where he is having the people rally around HIM (like a God?)
3. He already thinks Christians and muslims worship the same god, which makes me wonder what he thinks he believes.

When you throw this in, I am not too happy about him.

Is Bush associated with In Touch Ministries? If he is, it's a little egocentric; if they's just another unrelated christian group, I think it's sweet. The Prez is a good guy, isn't it ok to pray for him?

if they's just another unrelated christian group, I think it's sweet.

I think its a gross dereliction of ministerial duty and borders upon idolotry. but then again, i'm not a fan of organized religion.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I think its a gross dereliction of ministerial duty and borders upon idolotry. but then again, i'm not a fan of organized religion.

Then again, your trying to make it into a really big deal. Is it forced? No.

And IS Bush part of In Touch Ministries? do you care, or are you just going to call it egomaniacal or whatever without even knowing?

Folks, when the commander in chief has dubious faith and tells the people on the front line to pray for HIM, something is wrong.

This is despicable. In the military conformity is not only expected, but it's necessary. When you hand out prayer pamphlets, everyone will have to participate. This is abusive, divisive and wrong.

acludem

I am in agreement with acl that utilizing and exploiting the religious faith of our soldiers as a political mechanism is disgusting, but is George Bush even involved with Touch Ministries?

Originally posted by acludem
This is despicable. In the military conformity is not only expected, but it's necessary. When you hand out prayer pamphlets, everyone will have to participate. This is abusive, divisive and wrong.

acludem

Everyone will NOT have to participate. I too think it's wrong to hand it out to begin with but I don't think for a second that anyone is being forced to do anything.

Does anyone even know whether Bush was even aware of this?

Originally posted by jimnyc

Does anyone even know whether Bush was even aware of this?

no clue, which is why I never used this to slam bush, just the ministry, but certain people on here like to interpret what they want to instead of reading whats been posted. :rolleyes:

no clue, which is why I never used this to slam bush, just the ministry, but certain people on here like to interpret what they want to instead of reading whats been posted. :rolleyes:

I searched everywhere this morning and can only find this article from the same Australian source. I'm curious to know the entire story here too. It's very possible that intouch did this entirely without Bush being aware. I think it's wrong any way you look at it but I'm not ready to chastise Bush just yet.

Absolutely right. In my haste I didn't read the article.
:lame2:
I apologize and retract every bit of my previous post lest it be taken out of context.

Knowing what I do know about how these ministries TEND to work, I would believe it is outside of Bush's awareness and a way for the Christian community to work toward the best for the country the most effective way they see fit. If I recall, the military would not force this, but ask all Christians if they want the booklet which makes the whole thing completely voluntary.

I think that anyone has the right to distribute pamphlets to anyone they so desire. There are many, many civilians from all countries over there - and some are probably distributing pro and anti abortion materials. I highly doubt that Bush knew anything about this. Ever answer your door and have an "AWAKE" pamphlet shoved in your hand. They ask you to read it - you either do - or you throw it in the trash. This is a similar scenario as to what I picture these pamphlets are about. But I for one, think it's a good idea.

That certainly doesn't sound like anything formal.

There are many organized groups out there that force their religion on you and include politions - I know one well known organization that handed out pamphlets in the airport untill they were told to leave.

At anyrate this is something you read from a journalist - I think that is enough said on the subject.

Newguy, do you think I was referring to you? nay, i say.

you didn't interpret my post's in this thread wrongly at all, others....we'll talk about later ;)

Newguy, do you think I was referring to you? nay, i say.

you didn't interpret my post's in this thread wrongly at all, others....we'll talk about later ;)

:)

Thanks for the clarification.
I appreciate it.

The thing I realized, though, was my ASSUMPTION that he knew changed my view and I didn't even read the article its self. After having read it, it became clear that this was an editorial type piece and not anything with any real substance. The obvious perspective leaves out Bush's involvement completely.

That being said, the credibility of the article, and the details being exactly as listed are still fairly random.

If I had to go off of what was said ONLY, I would stick to my second, revised opinion. If I knew Bush had ANY involvement with it whatsoever, my FIRST opinion would stand.

I asked the same question.

This whole thing is a non issue. There's no coercion. No one even knows if Bush is even involved and the most critical don't even care to know if he's involved. As far as ASKING people to pray for others, it happens everyday in church. "Let's all pray for deacon fred, sick with consumption in county."

Liberal reasoning:
Praying is bad
Bush is bad
Praying for bush must somehow be really bad.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Liberal reasoning:
Praying is bad
Bush is bad
Praying for bush must somehow be really bad.

Bite thine tongue. You just proved liberals can have logical train of thought even if based on false information.

In new math it would be:

Praying means whatever you want
Bush is bad
Praying for Bush to get whatever you want is bad for liberals. -but the majority are gay and will elect Kerry anyway so who cares. So, stop the prayer.

Forum List

Back