any thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DKSuddeth, Apr 10, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    prayer for bush

US soldiers in Iraq asked to pray for Bush
    They may be the ones facing danger on the battlefield, but US soldiers in Iraq are being asked to pray for President George W Bush.

Thousands of marines have been given a pamphlet called "A Christian's Duty," a mini prayer book which includes a tear-out section to be mailed to the White House pledging the soldier who sends it in has been praying for Bush.

"I have committed to pray for you, your family, your staff and our troops during this time of uncertainty and tumult. May God's peace be your guide," says the pledge, according to a journalist embedded with coalition forces.

The pamphlet, produced by a group called In Touch Ministries, offers a daily prayer to be made for the US president, a born-again Christian who likes to invoke his God in speeches.

Sunday's is "Pray that the President and his advisers will seek God and his wisdom daily and not rely on their own understanding".

Monday's reads "Pray that the President and his advisers will be strong and courageous to do what is right regardless of critics".

2. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is the most egocentric abuse of power I know of from him.

1. He should not be telling them what to pray for
    2. He is making a situation where he is having the people rally around HIM (like a God?)
    3. He already thinks Christians and muslims worship the same god, which makes me wonder what he thinks he believes.

When you throw this in, I am not too happy about him.

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Is Bush associated with In Touch Ministries? If he is, it's a little egocentric; if they's just another unrelated christian group, I think it's sweet. The Prez is a good guy, isn't it ok to pray for him?

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I think its a gross dereliction of ministerial duty and borders upon idolotry. but then again, i'm not a fan of organized religion.

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Then again, your trying to make it into a really big deal. Is it forced? No.

And IS Bush part of In Touch Ministries? do you care, or are you just going to call it egomaniacal or whatever without even knowing?

6. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Folks, when the commander in chief has dubious faith and tells the people on the front line to pray for HIM, something is wrong.

7. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    This is despicable. In the military conformity is not only expected, but it's necessary. When you hand out prayer pamphlets, everyone will have to participate. This is abusive, divisive and wrong.

acludem

8. Syntax_Divinity

Syntax_Divinity Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in agreement with acl that utilizing and exploiting the religious faith of our soldiers as a political mechanism is disgusting, but is George Bush even involved with Touch Ministries?

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Everyone will NOT have to participate. I too think it's wrong to hand it out to begin with but I don't think for a second that anyone is being forced to do anything.

Does anyone even know whether Bush was even aware of this?

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    no clue, which is why I never used this to slam bush, just the ministry, but certain people on here like to interpret what they want to instead of reading whats been posted. :rolleyes: