Any opinions on the idea of a Multi Cultural Holiday

Grand idea but not one that I think will work unless we create some sense for people the whole point of having this celebration.

Really getting to know other people, knowing such that we learn that what some of us are so damned frighten of, isn't the threat some seem to think it is.

For instances...

Can we carry when we come there?

Can we openly smoke herb and cigarettes?

No?

Then seriously, how will people really know that people who carry, or who smoke dope, or cigarettes aren't the monsters that some of us think they are?

I'm with ya on this one, believe me, but I see some potential problems with it.

We could insist that this is a lowest common denominator party...i.e., none of us can do anything that might offend ANYBODY, but if we do that are we really being uauthentically ourselves?

And if we don't come as who we really are, what are we really learning?

Just what we need in this country... another holiday. Let's all gather around and sing camp fire songs.

Okay so your out. bye!!

Hey don't beat up on BBD. I agree with him. We don't need another holiday. We already have a holiday for just about every major historical event or occasion, and all we have to do is enjoy them regardless of what event or occasion they commemorate. Let's celebrate Christmas for what it is celebrated for. That won't hurt non-Christians in the least and even if they don't embrace the faith, they can enjoy the lights and music and joy associated with it. Same with Hannukah or any other religious, ethnic, cultural festivals.

And again, our own Independence Day encompasses the freedoms and privileges enjoyed by all our citizens regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, etc. and we should embrace it.

Multi-culturalism should not be a cause for celebration in my opinion. Shared experiences, values, and purpose should be what we look to celebrate.

Last edited:
Just thinking.. If we had a national holiday celebrating all in our country.
Gatherings at parks and big open spaces.. Giving all a chance to get to know one another at our core.. not letting politicians or the media speak for us.
I believe we would most likely learn we are not that different and would better understand one another. Whats better than a friendship or at least a factual understanding.. The word would spread quickly, we are not one anothers enemy.

Blues

You forget to mention....not letting religion or race into the mix.

This is about all Americans getting to know one another.. understanding one another.
No politicians allowed. Think of it as a national family picnic.

Then religion is going to happen, same as politics and race. the police will be out in force to keep us from getting into trouble. Just like any other public event.

Gatherings at parks and big open spaces.. Giving all a chance to get to know one another at our core.. not letting politicians or the media speak for us.
I believe we would most likely learn we are not that different and would better understand one another. Whats better than a friendship or at least a factual understanding.. The word would spread quickly, we are not one anothers enemy.

Blues

They are called "Block Parties".

They often co-inside with Labor, Memorial, Independance and St. Paddys Day.

If you think small yes.... This is and will be much bigger than that.
If you in hang in here with us.. if not thanks for the post. bye!

And if anybody with a different perspective than yours is going to be dismissed on this thread, well have fun. I'll leave it to you.

Blues

They are called "Block Parties".

They often co-inside with Labor, Memorial, Independance and St. Paddys Day.

If you think small yes.... This is and will be much bigger than that.
If you in hang in here with us.. if not thanks for the post. bye!

Small?

What's small about any of those days I mentioned? [sans Labor Day]

Great idea, all the white liberals should get together at night in downtown Detroit to have a "Multi-Cultural Holiday"

I just sent emails to two friends I have in the local media. I can trust them.
Setting up a time to meet with them together.. One is a broadcaster the other is with a major new paper.
I'm also going to do an editorial to bring in some folk who will volunteer some time to the cause.
I hope others here will join me and some of the others who are on board to make this happen.
We will need at least one rep in each state. Each rep will have to build there own team and be in constant communications with each other.

Blues

Last edited:
And I honestly hope the concept doesn't catch on in New Mexico. We are already so multi-cultural here that if we try to force it, we'll be in a blender.

I don't WANT any more emphasis celebrating our differences. We already have plenty of that. I want MORE emphasis on celebrating common goals, interests, and values and coming together on promoting those in nonviolent and productive ways.

If you can find any media that even understands that concept, much less that is willing to give it a fair hearing, then I will be interested.

And I honestly hope the concept doesn't catch on in New Mexico. We are already so multi-cultural here that if we try to force it, we'll be in a blender.

I don't WANT any more emphasis celebrating our differences. We already have plenty of that. I want MORE emphasis on celebrating common goals, interests, and values and coming together on promoting those in nonviolent and productive ways.

If you can find any media that even understands that concept, much less that is willing to give it a fair hearing, then I will be interested.

New Mexico is multi cultural? I drove through there a few times and I really only saw alot of whites and Hispanics.

New Mexico is multi cultural? I drove through there a few times and I really only saw alot of whites and Hispanics.

This is a day to meet, say hello, tell stories about ourselves. listen to others. chow together..
again, Think of it as a national picnic.

Yes, we have more Asian restaurants and such, run by Asians, than does San Francisco. I'm guessing the black community here is fairly small but it is hard to tell because almost all neighborhoods are fully integrated and you really don't think about it that much. Many of the "Hispanics" you saw were likely Native American; many of the 'white' were probably of Spanish heritage. There are two large Jewish synagogues in Albuquerque and the Arab population is slowly increasing.

International days held downtown every weekend during the summer are great fun--I haven't checked this year but I assume they're doing them. One week is Italian with our resident population of that heritage breaking out traditional Italian garb, music, dancing, food et all. Maybe there will be a Spanish weekend or Hungarian or Russian or (east) Indian or Ivory Coast et al. For that day we all become whatever ethnicities are represented.

In Albuquerque and in New Mexico as a whole, the 'white' people are significantly outnumbered by the Latinos/Hispanic and the other races represented.

And yes, we all get along pretty well.

I

Here's an idea - how about

Get Your Illegal Ass Back Over the Border to Where You Came From Day??

Yes, we have more Asian restaurants and such, run by Asians, than does San Francisco. I'm guessing the black community here is fairly small but it is hard to tell because almost all neighborhoods are fully integrated and you really don't think about it that much. Many of the "Hispanics" you saw were likely Native American; many of the 'white' were probably of Spanish heritage. There are two large Jewish synagogues in Albuquerque and the Arab population is slowly increasing.

International days held downtown every weekend during the summer are great fun--I haven't checked this year but I assume they're doing them. One week is Italian with our resident population of that heritage breaking out traditional Italian garb, music, dancing, food et all. Maybe there will be a Spanish weekend or Hungarian or Russian or (east) Indian or Ivory Coast et al. For that day we all become whatever ethnicities are represented.

In Albuquerque and in New Mexico as a whole, the 'white' people are significantly outnumbered by the Latinos/Hispanic and the other races represented.

And yes, we all get along pretty well.

I
Yup I lived in Abucreeky for a year. When I was there, maybe 15 years ago, I'd say it was under 10% black, 30% Hispanic, 30% native American, 25% white anglo and 5% "other". Most everybody just got along. Anglos ate huevos rancheros for breakfast and Hispanics had pancakes and grits.

I have nothing against everyone getting together, but multiculturalism? If we're having a party, I'll cook some pierogi (the ex was polish). I'll expect some excellent fried chicken from my Hispanic friends and chili rellenos from my black neighbors.

The German Americans will need to bring the beer. You can't trust a Jamaican with important stuff like that.

I have nothing against everyone getting together, but multiculturalism? If we're having a party, I'll cook some pierogi (the ex was polish). I'll expect some excellent fried chicken from my Hispanic friends and chili rellenos from my black neighbors.

The German Americans will need to bring the beer. You can't trust a Jamaican with important stuff like that.

But you can trust a Jamaican to cook some delicious jerk chicken with rice and beans and maybe some cabbage. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It sounds like a good idea but the logistics of it could prove difficult. It would have to be during the summer months if this is going to be an outdoor event. So then location comes into play. If a huge turnout is to be expected in any given state, then a police presence will most likely be needed. Especially if alcohol is a factor. I know any cookout / gathering I host or attend, the spirits are plenty. Again, I think it's a good idea but ....

Working in one of the nation's most diverse cities, every day feels like a multicultural day. I'm not saying this is a bad thing cuz it's not. I like working with people from all around the globe. What I like too, is the festivals the city holds. Now there you can get some good eats while meeting some new and interesting people.

Forum List

Back