Any mechanics on USMB? I have a repeating problem.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
So a year or so ago squirrels chewed up a lot of the wiring under my hood. It ultimately cost me about a grand to have the computer, some ignition coils and a couple injectors replaced.

Now I have a repeating problem of cylinders misfiring. I have had to replace about 5 more coils and plugs over the last few months. I replaced cylinder 5 3 weeks ago and just now had to replace everything on cylinder 7. It's like the problem, whatever it is, is hoping from cylinder to cylinder every few weeks.

I dunno what to do. Getting tired of fixing it in 10 degree weather

I am not a mechanic, but, does it sound like little explosions under the hood?

So a year or so ago squirrels chewed up a lot of the wiring under my hood. It ultimately cost me about a grand to have the computer, some ignition coils and a couple injectors replaced.

Now I have a repeating problem of cylinders misfiring. I have had to replace about 5 more coils and plugs over the last few months. I replaced cylinder 5 3 weeks ago and just now had to replace everything on cylinder 7. It's like the problem, whatever it is, is hoping from cylinder to cylinder every few weeks.

I dunno what to do. Getting tired of fixing it in 10 degree weather
First off, what kind of vehicle is it? Second, you need to connect a scan too to it and see what cylinder(s) are misfiring. On many vehicles a typical trouble code for a misfire would be P0305, meaning cylinder #5 is misfiring. Once you determine this, swap the coil from that cylinder to one not misfiring, say cylinder 1 and then read the codes again and see if the misfire is now occurring on cylinder 1. If there is no change, and cylinder 5 is still misfiring that means it may not be an ignition miss. Perhaps an injector miss, or a mechanical fail. Also, if the misfire does not go with the coil it can mean a wiring problem or possible a bad engine control module.

Last edited:
th

Maybe it's time for...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Gramps you probably don’t want to hear it. But have you thought about maybe trading it in. Maybe a new or a good used one.

OBDII reader is what you need. The reader will disclose any and all problems and potential problems.

OBDII reader is what you need. The reader will disclose any and all problems and potential problems.
No it won't, it will just tell you what trouble codes the vehicle has. For example on the cylinder misfire, a scan tool can tell you what cylinder is misfiring but not why.They can't tell the future either, so they can't go into potential anything. Also having a scan tool that can display the live data stream is almost a can't do without feature.

Forum List

Back