Any here who are doing Railroad modeling?

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
My son just returned home from Dallas with a pair of first place awards. He competed globally with the world and won. His highest award was for a Box cab locomotive he custom created. They looked like a Box car looks yet moved trains around. He is pretty proud of what he did. Very good for a 63 year old guy. Actually the convention was at Grapevine, TX just north of the Dallas Airport.

Photos of people's creations he competed with.

Last edited:
My son just returned home from Dallas with a pair of first place awards. He competed globally with the world and won. His highest award was for a Box cab locomotive he custom created. They looked like a Box car looks yet moved trains around. He is pretty proud of what he did. Very good for a 63 year old guy.

Photos of people's creations he competed with.

I was into H/O
Both cars and trains

When I was a kid my Dad was into model trains.
We built a mountain that was 4'x8'x 4' foot tall out of plywood and plaster and hardware cloth.
The train tracks ran through the mountain 3 times.
Thinking back on it it was a great time with my Dad who I lost when I was 16.

Nothing better than seeing your kid at the top of his game, Doesn't matter if they are a child or a grown man. Congratulations to him and you.

It's almost a dying art....
Trains, drawbridges, cranes and etc in model form.

It's wonderful to see that it's not dead.

If I'm remembering correctly it seems like there are three different standard sizes for model trains. I have one but haven't started it yet as my house needs some remodeling first. Gotta have a new heart pine floor and wainscoting before I can build it into the house.

I don't, but my grandson has quite the project going in my basement.
My son got started in part due to his grandfather. My son specializes in reality. Down to the minute details. This car he got the award for was inspected closely by 15 judges and won best of all. This car competed with full displays including trains and buildings. He has in his garage 2 lasers and a huge supply of tools and things he has built. This is not his first best of all show award. He says this is his final show.

It's almost a dying art....
Trains, drawbridges, cranes and etc in model form.

It's wonderful to see that it's not dead.

If I'm remembering correctly it seems like there are three different standard sizes for model trains. I have one but haven't started it yet as my house needs some remodeling first. Gotta have a new heart pine floor and wainscoting before I can build it into the house.
He told me after I posted this was his last show. He says this show physically took its toll and he is not up to doing it again. He has long won major awards. He soon will be a master builder. This is a very difficult status to get. He has done this for at least 50 years now.

He told me after I posted this was his last show. He says this show physically took its toll and he is not up to doing it again. He has long won major awards. He soon will be a master builder. This is a very difficult status to get. He has done this for at least 50 years now.
He should pass on some of that knowledge to the next generations....youtube videos or something....so others can know how he does what he does.

Nothing better than seeing your kid at the top of his game, Doesn't matter if they are a child or a grown man. Congratulations to him and you.
I am not trying to get credit. This for him is a lifelong pursuit and he has a long track record of getting awards. A person says my son should teach others how to do things. Well, he has a long track record doing just that.

I am not trying to get credit. This for him is a lifelong pursuit and he has a long track record of getting awards. A person says my son should teach others how to do things. Well, he has a long track record doing just that.

I get it. You might have missed all the bragging I did on my kid a while back. Feels good, don't it?

I get it. You might have missed all the bragging I did on my kid a while back. Feels good, don't it?
I am a bit sad that this was his final show to appear at. He has a history of winning such shows.

Forum List

Back