Any experience with coyotes?

I don't want to kill them but the rabbit call is a pretty interesting concept. It looks like hoosier and I seem to agree that the coyote fills a predator vacuum because we killed off everything else. I like the idea of coyotes howling around. It makes me think that the modern wilderness isn't as safe and sterile as we tried to make it.

Thats just one of many calls that will work for them. And some times they come right in on you, then they spot your finger working the call, and the funniest "oh shit" look comes over their face as they swap ends and haul ass in the opposite direction. Like I said, I dont like to shoot them, but it is verry challenging to try and call them in. Here is what the rabbit call looks like-

opplanet-cass-creek-rabbit-in-distress-full.jpg

I have used Javelina calls to, but never got them in like I have with the rabbit call. Here is what that looks like-

J13Deluxe__17847.1345825761.1280.1280.jpg

If you do a search, you will get overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of calls that people have used to call coyotes.

I don't want to kill them but the rabbit call is a pretty interesting concept. It looks like hoosier and I seem to agree that the coyote fills a predator vacuum because we killed off everything else. I like the idea of coyotes howling around. It makes me think that the modern wilderness isn't as safe and sterile as we tried to make it.

Thats just one of many calls that will work for them. And some times they come right in on you, then they spot your finger working the call, and the funniest "oh shit" look comes over their face as they swap ends and haul ass in the opposite direction. Like I said, I dont like to shoot them, but it is verry challenging to try and call them in. Here is what the rabbit call looks like-

I have used Javelina calls to, but never got them in like I have with the rabbit call. Here is what that looks like-

If you do a search, you will get overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of calls that people have used to call coyotes.

yup

if you get good at it

it is best to have a shotgun with as well

as your rifle cause they come in so close

yup

if you get good at it

The last time I did it I was bow hunting. I got it in about 10 yards and it just stared at me. I could not help but crack a grin and it took off. You have to be FAST!

yup

if you get good at it

The last time I did it I was bow hunting. I got it in about 10 yards and it just stared at me. I could not help but crack a grin and it took off. You have to be FAST!

they are quick

They are. And when they come in looking for a yummy critter its impossible to draw. I think they know right ware the sound came from and in my opinion, they are looking right at the call which means your face. "Wiley Coyote" was aptly named for sure. Forgot to say, if you want to sell skins trapping is better then shooting, and you can sell them for decent prices on evilbay.

They are. And when they come in looking for a yummy critter its impossible to draw. I think they know right ware the sound came from and in my opinion, they are looking right at the call which means your face. "Wiley Coyote" was aptly named for sure. Forgot to say, if you want to sell skins trapping is better then shooting, and you can sell them for decent prices on evilbay.

for sure trapping is easier on the pelts but you still do ok

i have not trapped in years

since i was a kid really

that was mostly muskrat and mink

i was a rich young kid btw

--LOL

the hardest thing for me to bag with a bow

was a turkey

Texas heart shot while in full strut

How do they trap coyotes? Leg hold traps? I saw the remains of a deer caught in a leg hold trap one time. Vegetation was destroyed ten feet around as the poor animal thrashed itself to death.

since i was a kid really

--LOL

was a turkey

Turkey are tough. I have yet to do it with a bow, and living in Colorado now, I dont think my prospects are to good. Tell you what though, when you want to see if they are about, blow am owl hoot. You will know soon enough if they heard ya. Coyote though, they sneak in on you. You have to look and listen more then call.

since i was a kid really

--LOL

was a turkey

Turkey are tough. I have yet to do it with a bow, and living in Colorado now, I dont think my prospects are to good. Tell you what though, when you want to see if they are about, blow am owl hoot. You will know soon enough if they heard ya. Coyote though, they sneak in on you. You have to look and listen more then call.

got mine by Unionville Missouri 2nd week of the season

we put em to bed by making hoot owl calls

they answer back quickly and give you a good idea

where they will be in the morning

You are a wealth of info on the subject. Much obliged.

Its a fun hobby, and no rule says you have to shoot them. Just be careful, other predators have been known to com and see what the fuss is all about.

good point

the sound of an distressed rabbit

is a dinner bell for many other animals out looking for a quick snack

except for this guy

who is well established in the entitlement system

Bear Sitting At A Picnic Table Photo by josephb555 | Photobucket

I live in the woods so we have a few coyotes around. I personally love them but we do have to go to some extra effort to protect our cats because of them.

You are a wealth of info on the subject. Much obliged.

Its a fun hobby, and no rule says you have to shoot them. Just be careful, other predators have been known to com and see what the fuss is all about.

good point

except for this guy

He likely uses the "human in distress call". I was reading an article ware the author was hunting varmints with a .45 cal flint lock. He was after bobcat I think. Anyway, he called in a big fat black bear. It came in to 8 yards! He stopped calling when he heard it coming. The bear was diligently searching for him. Bet he had to change the shorts.

good point

except for this guy

He likely uses the "human in distress call". I was reading an article ware the author was hunting varmints with a .45 cal flint lock. He was after bobcat I think. Anyway, he called in a big fat black bear. It came in to 8 yards! He stopped calling when he heard it coming. The bear was diligently searching for him. Bet he had to change the shorts.

yikes

--LOL

good point

except for this guy

yikes

--LOL

Yeah, that would be pretty crazy. Another fun call to play with is the crow call. Everything comes to check those out.

What sort of experience? They're around...they aren't very wolf-like, though. They're more dog like..

They'll keep the feral cat population down. They're hard on little birds and animals that raise young on the ground. They harbor fleas and ticks. I have a friend who hunts them for bounty.

They'll breed with dogs as well. My wife one time asked me if it was ok to adopt this pitiful little dog she saw at the pound. I agreed so when she brought him home, his fur was blue, and he was probably the ugliest dog I ever saw. He grew up into a beautiful muscular beast that when he was happy, he would bound just like a fox. I never saw a dog do that. He was shot by a neighbor after he went after his female who was in heat. He was one of the best dogs I ever had, whether he was a mixed coyote or not. He would never have anything to do with strangers, only my wife and me and the next door neighbor who was present when we got him form the pound.

There are a lot of coyotes around these days extending even into urban areas. When I talk to hunters and good ole boys here in a rural part of the Mid-Atlantic they all tell me they hate coyotes and kill them every chance they get. Personally I like the idea of wolf like predators prowling the woods in the 21'st century. Occasionally a pack of them come through my property at night and the howling is pretty cool. My dog hears them first and makes strange howling noises on the porch. We had sheep at one time but were bothered more by wild dogs in the daylight than coyotes. The local farmers have llamas pastured with sheep and apparently it keeps the coyotes away. It's a strange sight though. There used to be a bounty on them here in Va. but I don't think it's in effect anymore.

We have them here on KY Lake and when they get started at night, it sounds like women screaming and it echoes over the lake. They were brought here by the governement, just like the wolves in LBL that we didn't want, but got anyway. I'm not comfortable on my deck after dark because of them and the bobcats. But bobcats don't tend to hang around if you turn on the light. I have no problem with killing them. If they belong, IMO, they belong where they came from. Not here.

Forum List

Back