Antiques

UsaPride

Mar 13, 2004
NC
Last year my mom bought a super old farm house. The house has always stayed in the family that built it. A doctor lived there and practiced in the home. One of my sisters room was a room he did this in (it still has a sink in there).
This past weekend they went on a scavenger hunt in the attic. They found a Hayner Rye (private stock) bottle from 11/30/1897, a crank telephone, a baby doll carriage from 1910 era, 100 year old gold leaf picture frames, old medical journals, a literary digest from 1911, a copy of 'The Night Before Christmas' from @ 1910, a Cosmopolitan magazine from May 1911, old newspapers (one celebrating the 300 year anniversary of the King James Bible), old comic strips, Paper dolls, a paperback book called 'The All-Story" published March 1911 with different stories in it, just tons of stuff. Everything they found is from 1910-1911. Really cool stuff.
She found old dress patterns and now she want's to lets try out making one. This should be fun, LOL!! :D
She wants to know how to go about selling some of these things. Any suggestions?

Get em appraised by a reputable antiques dealer first...and I mean reputable!
Either that or wiat until the Antiques Road Show comes around!

CSM said:
Either that or wiat until the Antiques Road Show comes around!
Thanks CSM! I'll pass on the info!
I love watching ARS! I don't think they've ever come here though, that would be cool!
:D

UsaPride said:
Thanks CSM! I'll pass on the info!
I love watching ARS! I don't think they've ever come here though, that would be cool!
:D
i like ARS too. Lots of neat stuff on there even though not all of it is going to make the owner wealthy overnite.

Hahahaha! I like when the people are totally caught of gaurd. They think it's worth so much and it's worth like $25, LOL!! Too funny!

UsaPride said:
Hahahaha! I like when the people are totally caught of gaurd. They think it's worth so much and it's worth like $25, LOL!! Too funny!
Yep, and then there's those who spend 50 cents at a yard sale and end up with something worth thousands. Almost makes me want to clean out my attic...almost!

Mr. P said:
I like the almost part.
Don't start something!!!!:D
Oh I know! Talking about things like that gives people ideas and the next thing you know you are in the middle of a giant cleaning operation where everything of yours is "junk" and everything of hers is a "keepsake". Then you have a yard sale followed immediately by a run to the town dump.

CSM said:
Oh I know! Talking about things like that gives people ideas and the next thing you know you are in the middle of a giant cleaning operation where everything of yours is "junk" and everything of hers is a "keepsake". Then you have a yard sale followed immediately by a run to the town dump.

Yep...and I always plead..."I can't toss this I may need it".
She's caught on though.

CSM said:
This is the most important. It can't be stressed enough.

My ex's great aunt has an auction after her husband died. Walter NEVER threw out anything. Had old toys in their origional boxes, etc. We found a very good auctioneer. An antique dealer from Canada bought a lamp that was the UGLIEST thing I had ever seen. HE paid a little over $10,000 for it and tho't that was a BARGAIN!

Forum List

Back