Another veteran against Kerry

tim_duncan2000

Jan 11, 2004
Link

Then he read an op-ed in the New York Times by Bruce Kessler, a former Marine and a leader of the new group, Vietnam Veterans for a Just Peace, which disparaged the Kerry allegations. O'Neill wrote to Kessler, who got him involved in a Washington press conference. "We were convinced," says O'Neill, that "Kerry's charges were false." 60 Minutes and NBC both offered time for a debate — Kerry vs. O'Neill — but the former repeatedly balked. And then, miraculously, Kerry accepted an invitation from Dick Cavett to go head-to-head with O'Neill.

By this time, O'Neill had been star-spotted by President Nixon, and he met the president at the White House. (The sunny atmosphere turned a little frostier when O'Neill confided that he'd voted for Hubert Humphrey in '68: "The people all around me were shocked" when he told Nixon he was a Democrat.) He was also introduced to several Democratic congressmen and senators who didn't like Kerry's slanderous grandstanding.

As for the Cavett Show appearance, that was an invitation arranged by the television host himself, and had nothing to do with the White House; O'Neill even had to pay his own travel and hotel expenses. He wore "the only suit I had" — a not overly fashionable blue serge number unfortunately teamed with white socks. It mattered not. What mattered, says O'Neill, was that "I felt very passionate about the issue of war crimes. I had served in Vietnam with all those kids . . . and they reflected the people in the country as a whole. And the way [Kerry and his friends] falsely used war-crime charges involved a degree of political cynicism beyond my comprehension. I was outraged. I thought honestly about my friends who had died out there. And the unit we were in — Kerry and I — had suffered substantial casualties because of the restraints we placed on ourselves." O'Neill says that "Kerry, of course, knows this."

The debate was a success. "I always thought Kerry wouldn't be able to document evidence of war crimes," and so it was. His claim that these crimes were not isolated incidents but ordered by officers was nothing but a "barefaced lie." "Of course," O'Neill, with good humor, adds, "he was there for such a short time, he might not have known what was happening."
I'm sure the Kerry supporters will dismiss this because only the opinions of veterans who support Kerry matter.

Yeah, he'll just see what he wants to see and ignore the opinions of veterans against Kerry.

Well...vet here and ,how do I put this in plain language so there is no doubt what is being said....hmm..

Kerry is a bloody idiot, and as far as his "war record", I have my doubts!

I mean the guy cannot remember when he recieved his medals! Nor can he seem to tell the difference between ribbons and medals! This has caused me to wonder about his service, at least in terms of his supposed accomplishments.

Originally posted by jcon96
Well...vet here and ,how do I put this in plain language so there is no doubt what is being said....hmm..

So what do you have to say about this, Psycho?

Welcome aboard, jcon96. :)

Originally posted by jcon96

I mean the guy cannot remember when he recieved his medals! Nor can he seem to tell the difference between ribbons and medals! This has caused me to wonder about his service, at least in terms of his supposed accomplishments.

Yes ive often wondered this myself. Most WW2 vets cant remember where they put their glasses 2 seconds ago but can retell you their years in the service right down to the food they ate on specific days. Same with Vietnam Vets and Korean vets and Gulf war vets.

Kerry doesnt seem to be suffering from any post-war syndroms. He seems to be in good health. So why cant he recall what happened only 30 years ago in the service?

Forum List

Back