John Kerry works the crowd into a slumber.

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
Come on, bro, get with the program ;-)

Student Loaned
Kerry borrows youth voters for his campus Snoozefest
April 20th, 2004 9:40 AM

The first clue was the light jazz. Last week's "Change Starts With U: Kerry Campus Tour 2004" was billed as the unveiling of John Kerry's "Compact with the Next Generation," including tuition assistance and a national-service program. These five Northeastern college appearances were designed to inspire 30 million young adults to make the difference for Democrats in this presidential election. The press release promised "high-profile entertainment."

But on Wednesday at Harlem's City College, as hundreds of students and more than 50 members of the media waited over half an hour to hear Kerry, they listened to the cocktail-party stylings of a light jazz quartet. "It's all right," a slouching young man with a nose ring and ponytail commented. "It's keeping me awake." That was more than could be said for the rest of the program.

Judging from Wednesday's performance, John Kerry is not all that interested in playing to young voters. Senator Hillary Clinton, greeted with a standing ovation, introduced the presumptive Democratic nominee, ticking off a long list of his accomplishments in the Senate: the fight for Vietnam P.O.W.'s and M.I.A.'s, the investigations into Iran Contra and BCCI, and a crusade against irresponsible fiscal policies. All important, none relevant to a college student today.

Then Kerry gave 15 minutes of his standard stump speech: tax-code reform, outsourcing, Social Security, and Medicare. "Let's think about the worker who's 45 or 50 years old who's lost his job, lost his health insurance," he exhorted the crowd of twenty- somethings, many of whom work two or even three jobs to pay their way through school. The senator didn't talk about his proposed $4,000 tuition tax credit, maybe because it goes to parents who pay tuition, not students who shoulder the debt. And he didn't touch his complicated plan to cover increases in education funding by ending federal interest-rate guarantees on student loans. Not until the Q&A did Kerry mention his national-service plan, which promises a free college ride for up to 200,000 students willing to do two-year tours in service professions like teaching or law enforcement.

In his windup, Kerry finally addressed students directly. "We want you back!" he said, allowing that there was a lot of disaffection because "you're tired of the big money in politics"—not, say, because of politicians who don't address young people's problems. But, he said, "please understand that this is a race of empowerment." And what is the means of empowerment? Why, going to johnkerry.com and donating your money—and while you're there, "finding out how you can get involved" in the campaign. How that might be, Kerry didn't say. The website mentions efforts to register Democratic voters on a total of 40 campuses.

No candidate would go to a senior center and give a lecture about Head Start. Why, then, bring college students to a speech at the "Harvard of the poor," only to address the concerns of the middle-aged middle class?

The tone-deafness was all the more puzzling since this was absolutely a crowd that wanted to be on Kerry's side. "I'm here because I want to have faith in my government. I've never really had it before," said Sokunthary Svay, a 23-year-old English major who was born in a Cambodian refugee camp. Svay became a citizen two years ago and is looking forward to voting for anybody but Bush in her first election. "I'm hoping Kerry's here because he's reaching out to the working people," she said, "showing that he's not an Ivy League elitist."

Yet Kerry bypassed obvious points of connection with his audience, mentioning tuition hikes only briefly and never referring specifically to the 25 percent increase CUNY students got last year along with budget cuts. "The rise in tuition, that's what's on everybody's mind right now," said Saran Kaba, a 20-year-old International Studies major. Zdenka Birre, 24, agreed, saying, "I want to know what he is doing to help education at our level, especially in New York City. And I want him to say, what are your chances of getting a job, how is that going for you?"

Nikki Young, 20, who was filming the speech for her school's television station, was less than impressed: "This sounded like the same packaged speech he gives everyone. He should have tailored it more to us."....
source

mods- sorry this belongs in the 'political races' forum, I guess three cups of coffee wasn't enough:rolleyes:

does he honestly think college students are stupid? I mean seriously why on earth would people vote for him if he promises tuition incentives. Any idiot knows you have to get that through Congress, and even if Kerry had any experience actually pushing things through congress, any idiot would know there would probably be no legislation on it for several years. long after they will actually need it.

So essentially is asking college students to vote for him to help out people who cant vote yet. Makes so much sense doesnt it?

Originally posted by Avatar4321
does he honestly think college students are stupid? I mean seriously why on earth would people vote for him if he promises tuition incentives. Any idiot knows you have to get that through Congress, and even if Kerry had any experience actually pushing things through congress, any idiot would know there would probably be no legislation on it for several years. long after they will actually need it.

So essentially is asking college students to vote for him to help out people who cant vote yet. Makes so much sense doesnt it?

College stduents arent that smart. Hense thats why alot of them vote Democrat. they are sheep that can be herded by whatever cause sounds the prettiest. All they know is that hes on MTV and snowboards. So he's gotta be a cool presidnet. ROCK THE VOTE!!! dumbest idea ever. Getting ignorant kids that have no idea what they are voting for, to pick a president. yea its their right to do so, but at least be alittle more informed than, "Kerry's a snoboarder. Rock on!"

Originally posted by insein
College stduents arent that smart. Hense thats why alot of them vote Democrat. they are sheep that can be herded by whatever cause sounds the prettiest. All they know is that hes on MTV and snowboards. So he's gotta be a cool presidnet. ROCK THE VOTE!!! dumbest idea ever. Getting ignorant kids that have no idea what they are voting for, to pick a president. yea its their right to do so, but at least be alittle more informed than, "Kerry's a snoboarder. Rock on!"

Hey i ressemble..i mean resent that remark. I actually disagree. i think college students, the ones that arent wasted all day and skip classes, are very smart, they are very much aware of how liberalism doesnt work. That is one of the reasons i have such hope for the future. because i see people my age and younger who are good and kind and willing to work hard in life and are not afraid to speak out against injustice.

its kinda funny. in a way we are speaking out against the establishment like the hippies did in the sixties. only think is the hippies are the establishment now. and we can see clearly how society has degenerated thanks to them.

Addding to my previous comments. If you will notice, there are not alot of up and coming Democrat leaders are there? Look at them. Where is the JFK of today, the real one not the wanna be. There isnt one. there are no young stars in the Democrat party. thats why the party is running Gepheardt, kerry, mondale, loutenburg, etc Even Clinton is getting pretty old.

Democrats arent as strong in the youth populations as they would like you to think. Why do they think they are trying this "rock the vote" crap. they think they can win us with it. They think we are stupid and are complaining about the low youth turn out. The translation is that its low Democrat youth turn out.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Addding to my previous comments. If you will notice, there are not alot of up and coming Democrat leaders are there? Look at them. Where is the JFK of today, the real one not the wanna be. There isnt one. there are no young stars in the Democrat party. thats why the party is running Gepheardt, kerry, mondale, loutenburg, etc Even Clinton is getting pretty old.

Democrats arent as strong in the youth populations as they would like you to think. Why do they think they are trying this "rock the vote" crap. they think they can win us with it. They think we are stupid and are complaining about the low youth turn out. The translation is that its low Democrat youth turn out.

Hope your right. Cause all the young people i know are Democrats and moronic ones at that. I just dont talk politics with my friends. I get too pissed off at their idiocy.

Forum List

Back