Another reason to get the government out of health care

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
We need to control what kids eat because it will save money.

Parents will tell you that the obesity epidemic, which today affects one-third of America’s children, is now their leading health concern. Policymakers, business leaders and health care professionals share that worry. Childhood obesity is not only a serious health epidemic; it is also a perilous problem for the budget.
A new study, released today by the Campaign to End Obesity, points to the economic imperative of taking real action on obesity, especially when it comes to our children.
What we found interesting is that the study, conducted by two prominent conservative economists, both former Bush administration officials, concludes that the budgetary ramifications of failing to act on childhood obesity are far more costly than enacting policies to reverse obesity.
The authors point out that an array of evidence-based obesity interventions and treatment approaches can be both cost-effective and have major long-term savings, not only because they reduce obesity but because they can also prevent or reduce the occurrence of dangerous and costly secondary diseases such as diabetes and cancer.

Kind and Katen-Bahensky: The Budget Case for Combatting Childhood Obesity : Roll Call Opinion

A huge rash of kids getting a condition that will haunt them with health problems and an early death is a serious problem. If it was an infectious disease there would be a huge outcry to do something about it but because it is a steady diet of mountain dew, corndogs, mac-n-cheese and pizza we just shoulldn't get involved. The garbage comfort food diet people feed their kids will kill them but we should just stay out of it, it's not like a life of bad health will cost us anything.

True, it is one the countries biggest health problems. Unless we get it under control, it will cost hundreds billions of dollar and reduce the life span of our kids.

We should at least be promoting better eating. There's nothing coercive about that...unless, of course, you're a raving wingnut like certain people on here.

So ... you want Government out of Health Care so that the Government can control what kids eat?

Your logic is astounding.

Your lack of understanding is unsurprising. If the government is not in health care it won't be worried about spending money on fat kids who turn into fat adults.

True, it is one the countries biggest health problems. Unless we get it under control, it will cost hundreds billions of dollar and reduce the life span of our kids.

We should at least be promoting better eating. There's nothing coercive about that...unless, of course, you're a raving wingnut like certain people on here.

That is not what they are advocating though, is it?

So ... you want Government out of Health Care so that the Government can control what kids eat?

Your lack of understanding is unsurprising. If the government is not in health care it won't be worried about spending money on fat kids who turn into fat adults.

So ... get government out of health care that way the government no longer has a vested interest in how healthy or unhealthy kids are? Then why did you say we need to control what kids eat? Do you mean "we" as in you and your friend?

So ... get government out of health care that way the government no longer has a vested interest in how healthy or unhealthy kids are? Then why did you say we need to control what kids eat? Do you mean "we" as in you and your friend?

Why are kids healthy, or unhealthy? I will give you a hint, it isn't because they eat potato chips.

Why are kids healthy, or unhealthy? I will give you a hint, it isn't because they eat potato chips.

You didn't answer any of my questions.

Parents will tell you that the obesity epidemic, which today affects one-third of America’s children, is now their leading health concern. Policymakers, business leaders and health care professionals share that worry. Childhood obesity is not only a serious health epidemic; it is also a perilous problem for the budget.
A new study, released today by the Campaign to End Obesity, points to the economic imperative of taking real action on obesity, especially when it comes to our children.
What we found interesting is that the study, conducted by two prominent conservative economists, both former Bush administration officials, concludes that the budgetary ramifications of failing to act on childhood obesity are far more costly than enacting policies to reverse obesity.
The authors point out that an array of evidence-based obesity interventions and treatment approaches can be both cost-effective and have major long-term savings, not only because they reduce obesity but because they can also prevent or reduce the occurrence of dangerous and costly secondary diseases such as diabetes and cancer.

Kind and Katen-Bahensky: The Budget Case for Combatting Childhood Obesity : Roll Call Opinion

This is one of the most dangerous, and under-discussed, potential side-effects of the corporatist takeover of health care. The financial impact on the state will be used as a compelling argument for intrusive measures mandating any number of personal habits. Essentially anything that could negatively impact our personal health (which, let's face it, means virtually everything we do) will be subject to government 'oversight'.

There are people who are very excited about this kind of authoritarian regime. They'd love to tell us how to raise our kids, how to feed ourselves, how to think, essentially how to live - but they're kept at bay by the fact that some people still seem to understand, and value, freedom. But the added argument of financial culpability will degrade this opposition and bring the more authoritarian leaning independents and Republicans on board with their nanny state wet dreams. I see this sort of crap mushrooming as the corporatist state gains more and more control over our health care.

Last edited:

They are advocating producing healthier foods and educationing parents and kids. The childhood obesity campaign has been endorse by the AMA, the Harvard Medical School, the American Heart Association, and many large corporations such as Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, and Humana. This is not just some crazy liberal idea. If we don't solve this problem it's going to add hundreds of billions of dollars to the nations healthcare bill and shave years off our kids lives.

The Campaign to End Obesity

Last edited:

You didn't answer any of my questions.

Did you ask a question that you really thinks needs answering? My position is pretty clear, and consistent, if you don't know what it is I can explain it again, but my guess is you already know the government has no vested interest in anything.

This is one of the most dangerous, and under-discussed, potential side-effects of the corporatist takeover of health care. The financial impact on the state will be used as a compelling argument for intrusive measures mandating any number of personal habits. Essentially anything that could negatively impact our personal health (which, let's face it, means virtually everything we do) will be subject to government 'oversight'.

There are people who are very excited about this kind of authoritarian regime. They'd love to tell us how to raise our kids, how to feed ourselves, how to think, essentially how to live - but they're kept at bay by the fact that some people still seem to understand, and value, freedom. But the added argument of financial culpability will degrade this opposition and bring the more authoritarian leaning independents and Republicans on board with their nanny state wet dreams. I see this sort of crap mushrooming as the corporatist state gains more and more control over our health care.

There are time I think I am alone, I am glad this is not one of them.

They are advocating producing healthier foods and educationing parents and kids. The childhood obesity campaign has been endorse by the AMA, the Harvard Medical School, the American Heart Association, and many large corporations such as Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, and Humana. This is not just some crazy liberal idea. If we don't solve this problem it's going to add hundreds of billions of dollars to the nations healthcare bill and shave years off our kids lives.

Is the fact that corporations and the government both want to do something good for me supposed to make me feel all warm and fuzzy?

They are advocating that Congress should act by:

... reshaping our nation’s food policy to expand opportunities for farmers, promote local foods and make it easier for consumers to have access to healthy produce, we can take important steps toward combating obesity.

They're grabbing health care, and now aiming at "reshaping" our food supply. This is simply not something I want government in charge of.

Listen, no one is denying the obesity is a problem in our nation. It's a serious personal problem for the people who suffer with it. But not every problem we have demands a government solution.

If groups like this are simply raising awareness and working to educate the public via voluntary contributions to their campaign, that's fine. I'll contribute to the cause. But they're not. They're political groups with an agenda to force change on society through legislation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back