Another reason to fly less

flying via an airline is NOT a requirement of modern day living.
The last time I took a flight on a commercial airline was pre 9/11.
Fuck the airlines & fuck the government's bullshit response to 9/11 that allowed airline travel to become the nightmare it became.
Fly private :26:

I flew commercial and military for 60 years but no more. Air travel became a sick joke after 9/11. Every year since, I have flown at least once a year and 2017 was the last straw. I flew to Portland, OR from Dallas in '16 via American Airlines and it was like riding a Greyhound bus. Then in '17 from Dallas to Munich with Lufthansa. The seats were so cramped I couldn't straighten my legs for 11 hours each way. On top of that the BS passengers have to put up with left me with shouting matches with the security people. It is such a hassle that I decided to go back to AMTRAK. Another thing is that I always get a virus or the flu from the circulated air every time I flew commercial.

I flew commercial and military for 60 years but no more. Air travel became a sick joke after 9/11. Every year since, I have flown at least once a year and 2017 was the last straw. I flew to Portland, OR from Dallas in '16 via American Airlines and it was like riding a Greyhound bus. Then in '17 from Dallas to Munich with Lufthansa. The seats were so cramped I couldn't straighten my legs for 11 hours each way. On top of that the BS passengers have to put up with left me with shouting matches with the security people. It is such a hassle that I decided to go back to AMTRAK. Another thing is that I always get a virus or the flu from the circulated air every time I flew commercial.
I haven't flown for at least 12 years. Fall, 2006, Vancouver to Casper, WY, returned from Toronto to Vancouver with our last vacation to a foreign country. It was a 10 day railroad trip, complete with a speaker whose specialty was Canadian folklore, geography, and Canadian history. Such beautiful country things through the Canadian Rockies and side tour of Glaciers in the vicinity of the unparalleled beauty that Lake Louise is. The flight was okay, but with all the terrorism going on in the world, and my husband's growing dementia issues, I had no desire to fly, remembering how terrorists threw American passenger Leon Klingenhoffer in his wheelchair off cruise ship Achille Lauro (or something like that), right after they shot him for nothing. I wasn't going to let anyone take my dear man's life just because he couldn't defend himself any more. :frown: Arrogant fanatics destroy the earth so they can do chest thumping. Very sad for this earth's non-muslims who do such hateful things for attention.
th

Fly private :26:

How to do that? What does Private cost compared to standard airlines?

Here is what Privatefly said on my fantasy trip from Oxnard, CA to Costa Rica - one way:
The first two choices need to stop to refuel.

Small Prop Small Jet Long Range Jet Regional Airliner Large Airliner
$ 14 790 $ 24 740 $ 45 510 $ 51 190 $ 152 240

Last edited:
That´s nothing compared to our government planes. Since they belong to the Bundeswehr, they are in the same shape as our jets are.

Grounded: Problems with Germany's government planes | DW | 29.11.2018

That´s nothing compared to our government planes. Since they belong to the Bundeswehr, they are in the same shape as our jets are.

Omg! The plight continues!
Regierungsflieger bleibt am Boden

Omg! The plight continues!
Regierungsflieger bleibt am Boden
Regierungsflieger legt Flughafen Berlin-Schönefeld lahm

They want new planes next year.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, aviation currently accounts for 3.5 percent of human-induced climate change. If you include heat-trapping cirrus clouds formed from dissipating contrails – white lines of water vapor left by jets crisscrossing the sky – airplane travel adds up to about 5 percent of global warming. The proportion is higher in rich countries like the US and the United Kingdom where flying is much more a way of life.
But does that make sense for an ordinary people? Sure, not. We always will be thinking about our needs primarily, not about the impact we can't feel directly. So, I guess we won't stop flying until it's too late to stop.

The air is foul, not just from recirculated germs but is full of toxins from the engines:

Awareness 'asbestos of the sky' – the aviation industry’s darkest coverup

Let's not forget the radiation. The higher you are in the sky, the more radiation you are getting (less protective atmosphere).

You fly coast to coast - that's a chest x-ray. Fly over a pole...a LOT more than that.

You fly once a week, coast to coast for 5 years...that's 500 chest x-rays.

It's not horrific...but it ain't good.

The air is foul, not just from recirculated germs but is full of toxins from the engines:

Let's not forget the radiation. The higher you are in the sky, the more radiation you are getting (less protective atmosphere).

You fly coast to coast - that's a chest x-ray. Fly over a pole...a LOT more than that.

There're 52 weeks in a year man. That's 260 x-rays per 5 years.
You're right. We receive some amount of radiation when flying. But is it significant for a human? Considering pilots and flight attendants experiencing this almost on a daily basis, I doubt that.
But at the same time, we are all different. Speaking for myself, I am actually predisposed to cancer. So I prefer not to use planes if there's an option.
So, I agree. Neither horrific nor good.

There're 52 weeks in a year man. That's 260 x-rays per 5 years.
You're right. We receive some amount of radiation when flying. But is it significant for a human? Considering pilots and flight attendants experiencing this almost on a daily basis, I doubt that.
But at the same time, we are all different. Speaking for myself, I am actually predisposed to cancer. So I prefer not to use planes if there's an option.
So, I agree. Neither horrific nor good.

I was assuming 50 weeks (2 off for holidays) times 2 times per week (100 per year) for 5 years equals 500 chest X-rays. You have to fly home every day if it is for business.

Oh, it's a big deal for pilots/FA's:

Here's why airline crewmembers are classified as radiation workers

Forum List

Back