Another philisophical question to ponder

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
If there is in fact a divine creator, why would he care about the manner in which we live our lives?

Powerman said:
If there is in fact a divine creator, why would he care about the manner in which we live our lives?

Because He cares about His creation and wants us to be happy. Hence He teaches His children how to live to become happy.

Because He cares about His creation and wants us to be happy. Hence He teaches His children how to live to become happy.
But what if you can be happy living your life a way that He doesn't teach?

The ClayTaurus said:
But what if you can be happy living your life a way that He doesn't teach?
Or what if he just made up arbitrary rules for us to live by just because he can? "Thou shalt hop on one leg and say 'coo-coo ka-choo'." :hail:

Then you'd be living in another universe.

Are you kidding? My life would completely suck without excessive amounts of masturbation, premarital sex, alcohol abuse etc...

I'm having much more fun ignoring the wishes of this God.

Powerman said:
Are you kidding? My life would completely suck without excessive amounts of masturbation, premarital sex, alcohol abuse etc...

That's satan, in some way or another. And it will cost you happiness after you die. At least, that's the way I always understood things. Short term vs. long term pleasure.

The ClayTaurus said:
That's satan, in some way or another. And it will cost you happiness after you die. At least, that's the way I always understood things. Short term vs. long term pleasure.

I've never seen a rule God has set forth that doesn't have more temporal benefits. Kosher laws protected the ancient Jews from many food-born diseases prevalent in the ancient world. Keeping sexually pure makes marriage more likely to be successful, which leads to far more happiness than a few seconds of orgasm. Excessive alcohol damages the brain, liver, and other organs. I really can't think of a single Biblical rule I'd be better off not following.

The ClayTaurus said:
What do you mean?

What I mean is only by following the Lord can anyone find true happiness. Wickedness never was happiness and it never will be.

Powerman said:

Well then, enjoy yourself now.

What I mean is only by following the Lord can anyone find true happiness. Wickedness never was happiness and it never will be.

So how would you explain pleasure from sin?

The ClayTaurus said:
So how would you explain pleasure from sin?
How do you explain the happiness from giving freely? Which brings you more pleasure? To receive a gift or to see another's happiness when they enjoy what you gave them?

As for the 'immediate gratification' or 'sin.' It feels wonderful when you one up the idiot at work or school that has been giving you grief. Doubly enjoyable when others are there to laugh at the new victim. When you are alone though, do you still feel superior?

I don't know your answer, it may have to do with conscience building of my upbringing.

Hobbit said:
I've never seen a rule God has set forth that doesn't have more temporal benefits. Kosher laws protected the ancient Jews from many food-born diseases prevalent in the ancient world. Keeping sexually pure makes marriage more likely to be successful, which leads to far more happiness than a few seconds of orgasm. Excessive alcohol damages the brain, liver, and other organs. I really can't think of a single Biblical rule I'd be better off not following.

So it's your opinion that it is impossible to be happier single than married, or rather, that your potential for happiness will always be greater married than single?

Kathianne said:
Well then, enjoy yourself now.

I was kinda joking. I'm trying to figure out how masturbation can be bad for you though. It's proven to be healthy to "clean the pipes" periodically. Once a day is pretty good. If you aren't having sex then you should masturbate.

The ClayTaurus said:
So it's your opinion that it is impossible to be happier single than married, or rather, that your potential for happiness will always be greater married than single?

Now you're splitting hairs. I never said that, only that a lasting marriage brought far more happiness than spreading your seed to anyone who will accept it. The truth of the happiness of abstinence extends to single life, too. I, personally, would rather die a virgin than live a life of dozens of broken relationships or even worse, to have cheapened sex to the point where it's little more than a "get to know you" ritual that doesn't even involve a relationship.

Hobbit said:
Now you're splitting hairs. I never said that, only that a lasting marriage brought far more happiness than spreading your seed to anyone who will accept it. The truth of the happiness of abstinence extends to single life, too. I, personally, would rather die a virgin than live a life of dozens of broken relationships or even worse, to have cheapened sex to the point where it's little more than a "get to know you" ritual that doesn't even involve a relationship.

This is going to sound rougher than I intend, but as someone who's never "been on a farm"...how can you make a comparison?

Hobbit said:
I think monogamy laws are designed more to prevent bastard children and disease (in other words, like the kosher laws, more for health reasons) than for happiness. A lot of the stuff in the Bible that people look at as being "divine" is actually just common sense. Don't murder, don't steal, the kosher laws (pigs live in sh*t and that's pretty damn nasty), male circumcision is more hygenic for both the man and the woman, don't covet other people's things, be nice to your neighbor, don't drink from stagnant bodies of water, etc. It's all pretty straight forward stuff.

Forum List

Back