Another outsourcing tale: Shoddy airplane work

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Think about this the next time you fly...that plane you're depending upon not to fall out of the sky was probably sent off-shore for it's heavy maintenance. By any measure, the work being done is shoddy and flying on one of them after it's been to El Salvador, China or even to a domestic cheap labor provider like TIMCO, Inc, is dangerous to your health.

And why are airlines putting you at risk? Profit, of course. Cheap mechanics in the US and foreign countries maximize their bottom line.

Cavaet Emptor once again.

American Airlines Now Blaming Problems On Passengers | Transportation | Minyanville's Wall Street

Think about this the next time you fly...that plane you're depending upon not to fall out of the sky was probably sent off-shore for it's heavy maintenance. By any measure, the work being done is shoddy and flying on one of them after it's been to El Salvador, China or even to a domestic cheap labor provider like TIMCO, Inc, is dangerous to your health.

And why are airlines putting you at risk? Profit, of course. Cheap mechanics in the US and foreign countries maximize their bottom line.

American Airlines Now Blaming Problems On Passengers | Transportation | Minyanville's Wall Street

The safety record of the airlines in America has never been better. There hasn't been a single crash as a result of mechanical failure in over 10 years. The only crash I can think of in recent memory is the plane that went down in the Hudson because it ingested a flock of birds, and no one died in that incident.

So using the airline industry to accuse the profit motive of causing safety problems just isn't very convincing.

And, of course, government run Amtrak has such a stellar record for safety.

The safety record of the airlines in America has never been better. There hasn't been a single crash as a result of mechanical failure in over 10 years. The only crash I can think of in recent memory is the plane that went down in the Hudson because it ingested a flock of birds, and no one died in that incident.

So using the airline industry to accuse the profit motive of causing safety problems just isn't very convincing.

So, it's not an issue until somebody is killed?

here's a idea, you are worried over American airlines safety, DON'T FLY on them...
or blame things on outsourcing..

good grief

We have had quite a few planes go down in the USA because of due to mechanical failure that were maintained by domestic A&P mechanics.

How many have gone down due to TIMCO, Inc?

Here in the USA workers in the aircraft shops have to much on their mind other than maintaining aircraft. They have to play Union NLRB politics, Affirmative Action politics, Discrimination politics, FAA politics, Harassment in the workplace politics & the accompanying law suits to sort all these things out. It is a wonder how any real mechanical inspection or maintenance work gets done in a aircraft hanger in the USA.

Thanks for a breath of fresh air on this issue, Bripat. Indeed, no mechanical failures in 10 years, and the plane that went down due to a flock of birds that had no passenger deaths was due to an astutely well-trained all-America pilot who saved lives with his quick thinking.

Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III, pilot, saves over 150 lives with 'Textbook Ditching' into the Hudson River, January 16, 2009

God, I love the USA!

It is certainly difficult to agree with your position when NOTHING is happening at all and the safety record is stellar. You are using scare tactics in a place that has nothing at all to be afraid of. You are far more likely to die driving to the airport in your government motor car than you are from boarding that plane.

Here is a hint for you: outsourcing is not synonymous with poor quality. Every electronic device you own and every kitchen appliance you have that has a circuit board was, in part or in whole, constructed in China. Period. This is not because they turn out piss poor products. It is because they can match our quality at a fraction of the price. Want to know why?

Labor is only a fraction of that cost. There is plenty more of it tied up in regulation and other areas.

Why are IPhones constructed at a factory in china? Hint: it has nothing whatsoever to do with costs.

We have had quite a few planes go down in the USA because of due to mechanical failure that were maintained by domestic A&P mechanics.

Really? Perhaps you can list a few.

I could if I wanted to but I won’t. I believe that he is referring to small aircraft, mostly private owned and it is true, those aircraft are maintained by licensed Americans and they have a rather high failure rate at least compared to their commercial brethren. This is mostly because small aircraft are dangerous. Quite frankly, the OP was about large commercial aircraft (otherwise, why should we be ‘afraid’) and quite frankly, I don’t give a damn. If you are flying a small Cessna aircraft you are partaking in a high risk activity no different than skydiving, drag racing, or any number of hobbies that are still far more dangerous than flying.

Simply put, this thread is pointless.

13% of commercial airplane disasters are due to mechanical failures. These include failure to properly inspect, replace parts or maintain airplanes by ground crews.

Here are a few examples:

- Aloha Airlines Flight 243
- Alaska Airlines Flight 261
- United Airlines Flight 585
- US Airlines Flight 427
- American Airlines Flight 2253
- Jet Blue Flight ??? hydraulic failure

From the article:
According to CNN, airline spokeswoman Mary Frances Fagan now claims the seat locking mechanisms have been “gunked up” by passengers spilling beverages, which led to their coming unbolted.
Bullsh*t!

I used to work at SkyWest Airlines in Palm Springs as an Aircraft Mechanic for 5.5 years, 1999-2004. Believe me, the seats don't come loose just because someone spilled their drink. I guarantee you they were installed improperly and then on top of that an Inspector didn't catch it when he or she signed it off.

I don't know what regulations cover maintenance in foreign countries but in the US, aircraft must be maintained by Certified A&P's and signed off by Inspectors.

If they're using non certified maintenance people that's OK but a Mechanic and an Inspector have to sign off that persons work (That's where the problems begin). And that's just one of the reasons I left the Industry.

Another person gets paid the same as me but I have to sign off and be responsible for that guys work as well? No thanks!

Only a liberal would use an example of government doing a bad job as proof we need MORE government...

13% of commercial airplane disasters are due to mechanical failures. These include failure to properly inspect, replace parts or maintain airplanes by ground crews.

Here are a few examples:

- US Airlines Flight 427

All your examples are more than 10 years old.

Wink Wink.

The unions deliberately loosened those seats. It was sabotage by the unions who don't care who is hurt or killed. As many planes that fly overseas ONLY American planes have the loose seat problem and that occurred ONLY during a labor dispute with the maintenance union.

It is certainly difficult to agree with your position when NOTHING is happening at all and the safety record is stellar. You are using scare tactics in a place that has nothing at all to be afraid of. You are far more likely to die driving to the airport in your government motor car than you are from boarding that plane.

Here is a hint for you: outsourcing is not synonymous with poor quality. Every electronic device you own and every kitchen appliance you have that has a circuit board was, in part or in whole, constructed in China. Period. This is not because they turn out piss poor products. It is because they can match our quality at a fraction of the price. Want to know why?

Labor is only a fraction of that cost. There is plenty more of it tied up in regulation and other areas.

Why are IPhones constructed at a factory in china? Hint: it has nothing whatsoever to do with costs.

Hint: Sure it does.

Thanks for a breath of fresh air on this issue, Bripat. Indeed, no mechanical failures in 10 years, and the plane that went down due to a flock of birds that had no passenger deaths was due to an astutely well-trained all-America pilot who saved lives with his quick thinking.

Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III, pilot, saves over 150 lives with 'Textbook Ditching' into the Hudson River, January 16, 2009

God, I love the USA!

And the reason for the stellar record, Becki, is the intense regulations regarding air safety.

God, I love the USA!

And the reason for the stellar record, Becki, is the intense regulations regarding air safety.

Wrong, dipshit. The record has improved dramatically since deregulation. The main reason for the improvement is the fact that airline crashes are bad for business. Value jet went bankrupt because of the crash in the Florida Everglades.

Here are a few examples:

- US Airlines Flight 427
1988 and landed safely with one crew member fatality

2000 – fatal crash

1991 – fatal crash but the investigation could not determine why the crash occurred. Connecting this with inspection, maintenance or mechanical failure is false

- US Airlines Flight 427
1994 - Fatal crash but the investigation found a design flaw. Nothing to do with inspection, maintenance or mechanical failure

2011 Finally, something that falls into the ‘last ten years’ bripat mentioned but… NO ONE WAS HURT, it was not a crash but a runway over run. NOT ONE INJURY. Also, investigation turned up design flaw. Try again.

- JetBlue Airways Flight 292
2005 aircraft landed safely with a landing gear malfunction. No injuries and the aircraft was never in any real danger. The problem was a known design flaw that was being redesigned at the time.

So, that was a no then. You can’t name any actual problems that have happened due to maintenance, inspection or failure that occurred in the last decade. The 2 that you did find had no injuries and were design flaws.

Forum List

Back