Another good reason to believe in evolution....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by KarlMarx, Sep 5, 2006.

1. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    remainder of article at....

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...63667_RTRUKOC_0_US-OBESITY.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

evolution seems to be used to justify everything from genocide, marital infidelity and now this! Hail to Darwin! I'm going to order a triple, bacon, cheese, side of beef whopper burger with extra cheese, and super size the fries ... just to celebrate!!!!!

I guess personal responsibility must obviously be a construct of society with its repressive Judeo-Christian morals!

2. cslaughlin13

cslaughlin13 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    quite frankly, i think that article is bullshit.
    I am not a christian so I do not believe in intelligent design, but what a lot of people assume about evolution is that it is 100% accurate and true. Many of the ideas of evolution have been proven but it is not necessarily the way things happened because it is called a THEORY. Even though I believe that was the way people came to be, or the most probable way, evolution needs to stop being taught like it is fact. Also, I don't think that one could justify gluttony as evolution. That makes it seem like nobody has any responsibility for what they do.

3. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    So you do believe then that you have some responsibility for being queer, right? Actually you have 100% responsibility in that area.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Christians aren't the only people who follow ID. ;)

5. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Evolution isn't something you "believe" in. It's something you accept like how snow forms or the process of photosynthesis or the existence of air. Quit trying to put science based on physically observable evidence into the same category as faith. It's not the same. Someone who accepts evolution is not the same as a person who believes in God--a belief base on nothing more than faith. It takes an absence of reason and an abandonment of logic to make the leap to faith in God. It does not take that to use your eyes to see physical evidence of the process of evolution. Belief and knowledge are not synonymous.

Evolution is not responsible for obesity. Sloth, gluttony and occasional slow metabolism are. Nothing more. The increased incidence of obesity is just an indicator of how successfully we as humans have manipulated our environment to support ourselves. We live in abundance. Naturally, some have chosen to just sit on their asses and eat all the time.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Have you really never researched the HUGE leaps of logic evolution tries to pass off? Seriously - there's just such a TINY chance all this happened by accident, I'm surprised Evolution holds any weight - The 'educated guess' of evolution makes as much sense as the idea of Santa Clause delivering presents to every Christmas-celebrating child on earth.

7. Hagbard Celine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yeah, fossil evidence and being able to OBSERVE speciation in the natural world really compares to believing in a magical man. Oh wait! That's what you believe in. Hmm. Seems the Santa Claus argument doesn't really work for you does it? Seems like the word "God" could be replaced with "Santa Claus" and nobody would miss a beat.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Fossil evidence - points to God, NOT to evolution thru random chance. Observing the natural world - from cell structure to the planets and starts - points the open-minded towards a Creator.

9. Hagbard Celine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    :cuckoo: Yeah, the open minded. That's a laugh. Primitive religious beliefs take such an open mind. It really takes an open mind to accept children's stories from Sunday school as fact and never question them. :rolleyes: Fossils do not point to God. What's the official estimate of the Earth's age from the creationist point of view? 4,000 years or something like that? It takes longer than that to form one fossil, muchless all of the biodiversity we see on the Earth today. I like to say that people can believe and do whatever they want. But stop lumping everyone into your "belief" system. Evolution is not a belief. It's scientific fact. I'm a scientific mind. Present me with evidence of God's existence and I'll be perfectly happy to take it into consideration. Good luck with that one.

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Are you a 'scientist'? I could probably find thousands of scientists who don't such brazen, limited viewpoint to call evolution 'Fact'.