Another blatant Constitutional violation

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
SC valedictorian recites Lord's Prayer at graduation - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

SC valedictorian recites Lord's Prayer at graduation

Posted: Jun 06, 2013 11:22 PM EST Updated: Jun 13, 2013 11:22 PM EST
By MYFOXATLANTA STAFF

A valedictorian at a South Carolina high school ripped up a faculty-approved speech and opted instead to read the Lord's Prayer.

Liberty High School valedictorian Roy Costner hadn't been at the podium for more than 30 seconds when he tore up the speech he had gotten approved by the faculty and began reciting the Lord's Prayer to thunderous applause.

Patrick Elliott with the Freedom From Religion Foundation says they have received complaints about the district in South Carolina in the past for having student-led prayers at school board meetings, so they wrote to them and asked them to stop.

"Sometimes people think, 'majority rules' but that's not really the case with a constitutional right. So students do have the right to attend school without the school promoting or endorsing religion even if you know a large amount of people in the community would hope that the school would do so," Elliott said.

Jonathan Saenz with Texas Values is proud of Costner.

"It's very clear. If the student is allowed to speak, the government cannot pick and choose what words they like...specifically target them because they're religious," Saenz said.

Elliott says he doesn't feel what Costner did was illegal, just in poor taste.

"I think it's a symptom of the entitlement that has gone on in that district. They've been instituting prayers and religious practices for a very long time and so when the school is now coming into compliance with the law, I think there's bound to be some reaction to that. I also think if it were a non-Christian student, a Muslim or somebody who's non-religious, I think you would have heard "boos" there instead of you know, loud applause," Elliott said.

Saenz doesn't agree, saying those who complain usually target Christians expressing their faith.

"That's what we've seen in Texas, that's what we're seeing in South Carolina, and so all denominations have religious freedom rights but it seems like every time it becomes an issue and someone threatens with a lawsuit or some type of challenge, it's always a Christian student. And so that's unfortunate that you see this type of targeted discrimination. And we hope that's something that will end," Saenz said.

Link to video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX28jjqu0HU]LHS Valedictorian Address 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Constitutional violation? I don't know, I think that's quite an extreme assessment.

Perhaps if the public educators who are paid by tax dollars organized this reading, or created a Jesus-themed graduation ceremony then we could dive into some more serious violations.

But this is just a single, autonomous person who does not receive a salary from the state, talking about what he wants to talk about at a graduation ceremony.

Not a bid deal, in my opinion.

Constitutional violation? I don't know, I think that's quite an extreme assessment.

Perhaps if the public educators who are paid by tax dollars organized this reading, or created a Jesus-themed graduation ceremony then we could dive into some more serious violations.

But this is just a single, autonomous person who does not receive a salary from the state, talking about what he wants to talk about at a graduation ceremony.

He was supposed to read a speech approved by the school but instead he disregarded their direction and lead the audience in a prayer and that constitutes government endorsement. He can stand in the hallway and recite prayers until he is blue in the face but when he stands at a school podium at a school graduation over a school PA system, he can't. He could have even gotten by if he spoke about how religion helped him be a successful student but the prayer was over the line (and was he really showing true christian behavior by lying to the school about his intentions in reading that prayer? - what he did was a real "fuck you" to the school and others in the crowd). People have the right to come to school functions and not be subjected to any religious indoctrination.

He was supposed to read a speech approved by the school but instead he disregarded their direction and lead the audience in a prayer and that constitutes government endorsement. He can stand in the hallway and recite prayers until he is blue in the face but when he stands at a school podium at a school graduation over a school PA system, he can't. He could have even gotten by if he spoke about how religion helped him be a successful student but the prayer was over the line (and was he really showing true christian behavior by lying to the school about his intentions in reading that prayer? - what he did was a real "fuck you" to the school and others in the crowd). People have the right to come to school functions and not be subjected to any religious indoctrination.

Sure, but what are you going to do? Arrest/fine the kid? If there's no action to take afterwards, then what's there to discuss, you know?

Sure, but what are you going to do? Arrest/fine the kid? If there's no action to take afterwards, then what's there to discuss, you know?

In that particular situation, not much can be done after the fact especially since the student went off script, but people who would do what this student did should take note that they are exposing the school to lawsuits which they will lose and which will result in higher taxes. There are too many people like him that are willing to violate the rights of others for their own selfish reasons.

stupid response?
ur name has 666 and all u do is talk about religionn. I am nonbeliever myself so Iunderstand ur want for discussions, but cant help feeling like that was ur motivation.
some people do not like it when people put 2 and 2 together. I could be wrong but for u to call it stupid is ignorant at best

stupid response?
ur name has 666 and all u do is talk about religionn. I am nonbeliever myself so Iunderstand ur want for discussions, but cant help feeling like that was ur motivation.
some people do not like it when people put 2 and 2 together. I could be wrong but for u to call it stupid is ignorant at best

My motivation for posting this story was to find out if others felt the same was as I do about the issue and if you think that all I talk about is religion, then you have not been reading my posts. As for your response, it was a false dichotomy.

SC valedictorian recites Lord's Prayer at graduation - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

By MYFOXATLANTA STAFF

A valedictorian at a South Carolina high school ripped up a faculty-approved speech and opted instead to read the Lord's Prayer.

Liberty High School valedictorian Roy Costner hadn't been at the podium for more than 30 seconds when he tore up the speech he had gotten approved by the faculty and began reciting the Lord's Prayer to thunderous applause.

Patrick Elliott with the Freedom From Religion Foundation says they have received complaints about the district in South Carolina in the past for having student-led prayers at school board meetings, so they wrote to them and asked them to stop.

"Sometimes people think, 'majority rules' but that's not really the case with a constitutional right. So students do have the right to attend school without the school promoting or endorsing religion even if you know a large amount of people in the community would hope that the school would do so," Elliott said.

"It's very clear. If the student is allowed to speak, the government cannot pick and choose what words they like...specifically target them because they're religious," Saenz said.

"I think it's a symptom of the entitlement that has gone on in that district. They've been instituting prayers and religious practices for a very long time and so when the school is now coming into compliance with the law, I think there's bound to be some reaction to that. I also think if it were a non-Christian student, a Muslim or somebody who's non-religious, I think you would have heard "boos" there instead of you know, loud applause," Elliott said.

Saenz doesn't agree, saying those who complain usually target Christians expressing their faith.

"That's what we've seen in Texas, that's what we're seeing in South Carolina, and so all denominations have religious freedom rights but it seems like every time it becomes an issue and someone threatens with a lawsuit or some type of challenge, it's always a Christian student. And so that's unfortunate that you see this type of targeted discrimination. And we hope that's something that will end," Saenz said.

Link to video: LHS Valedictorian Address 2013 - YouTube

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

Covered and REcovered

The premise of your OP is what is in violation of the COTUS.
You wish to restrict this student's right to free speech and his right to freely exercise his religion.

What part of "NO LAW" do you not grasp?

stupid response?

My motivation for posting this story was to find out if others felt the same was as I do about the issue and if you think that all I talk about is religion, then you have not been reading my posts. As for your response, it was a false dichotomy.

hmmmm every thread u made since "returning" has been about religion.
I was just asking, bud. sit back. you will know if I am after you :thup:

He did not read the speech that received "government endorsement". He exercised his 1st Amendment right of Free Speech. Just how is a prayer "religious indoctrination"? What is it about Christian prayer that terrifies you and your type so much that even a hint of a prayer sends you all into paroxysms of rage and fear? You certainly do not have to participate if you do not agree, or you might use such an interlude to make your own invocation.

In that particular situation, not much can be done after the fact especially since the student went off script, but people who would do what this student did should take note that they are exposing the school to lawsuits which they will lose and which will result in higher taxes. There are too many people like him that are willing to violate the rights of others for their own selfish reasons.

Frivolous lawsuits filed by morons with nothing better to do with their lives than to cower in terror whenever someone invokes the name of their particular deity. Words have no more power than that which you give them.

By MYFOXATLANTA STAFF

Link to video: LHS Valedictorian Address 2013 - YouTube

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

You freedom of religion ends when it begins to violate the rights of others.

He did not read the speech that received "government endorsement". He exercised his 1st Amendment right of Free Speech. Just how is a prayer "religious indoctrination"? What is it about Christian prayer that terrifies you and your type so much that even a hint of a prayer sends you all into paroxysms of rage and fear? You certainly do not have to participate if you do not agree, or you might use such an interlude to make your own invocation.

Whatever speech he makes in that position is considered to be endorsed by the government and it has nothing to do with fear of prayer, it has to do with constitutional violations and the selfish mentality of those who try to commandeer an official government event for their own religious purposes. Telling me to ignore it or step out is not acceptable because it is treating non-christians like second class citizens in a government that is supposed to represent all.

Frivolous lawsuits filed by morons with nothing better to do with their lives than to cower in terror whenever someone invokes the name of their particular deity. Words have no more power than that which you give them.

Defending constitutional rights is not frivolous. The Courts have heard many lawsuits involving this same scenario and they have decided that it is unconstitutional.

Forum List

Back