Anne Rice

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I had to laugh. I went to the library just for funzies and decided I would re read her Vampire stories...and much to my surprise, she has 2 new ones (2014) she has added to the Vampire Chronicles. Why did I laugh? Because she and I had a doozy of an email fight some years ago...it was after her husband died and she told her fans she would no longer write stories about supernatural beings and focus on Christian themes. So, I waited a year or two, thinking she would get over this new thing of hers...new mindset, so to speak, to kick back in and she would continue on with the travels and stories of Lestat. Well, she didn't. So I sent her an email, which she had posted on her website. She was still living in New Orleans at that time, and anyway...I sent her an email asking her how it felt to be the killer of the vampire she claimed would never ever die? She was pissed, and actually responded that he was her creation and she could kill him off if she wanted to and my reply to that was just as snarky and we went back and forth in emails with her finally saying to never buy her books and to fuck off (yes, she used that word, lol) and I said no worries...I had no desire to further converse with a vampire killer, hehehehe.

Anyway..I guess other fans were a bit peeved too, because her christian books were not going over too well I suppose, but I didn't know that until I went to the library on Saturday. Lo and behold...there was Prince Lestat. And another one..this one called Wolf Gift. She is now into werewolves as well...and she moved to Palm Springs Calif so new state, new supernatural beings galore! I checked both out. Then I went to Amazon and to my delight, she has another three books out...Prince Lestat & THe Realm of Atlantis....and Wolves of Midwinter and Ramses The Damned. I just finished Prince Lestat and am starting Wolf Gift. I plan to call the library tomorrow to see if they have the others I discovered.

So..enough of my digression......anyone in to Anne Rice's vampire stories...or..anyone read the Wolf Gift books? Or Ramses The Damned? What did you think of them if you did read them? All this is new to me since I had no clue she went back to her proverbial roots in supernatural story telling.

Interview was a mess. She approved of Tom Cruise in being Lestat. WRONG CHOICE. Plus, the books are always better than anything hollyweird tries to churn out.

Not always.

I can think of two examples where the movie was better.

The first was Jaws. Peter Benchley's novel wasn't that good, and Speilberg said after reading it, "After a certain point, I was cheering for the Shark." Spielberg took those characters and made a classic movie.

Another was the adaption of "A Handmaid's Tale" with Robert Duvall, Natasha Richardson and Faye Dunaway. Now, it's a truly crappy book, really overrated, but they managed to make a pretty good movie out of it. I haven't seen the netflix series and don't intend to.

I had to laugh. I went to the library just for funzies and decided I would re read her Vampire stories...and much to my surprise, she has 2 new ones (2014) she has added to the Vampire Chronicles. Why did I laugh? Because she and I had a doozy of an email fight some years ago...it was after her husband died and she told her fans she would no longer write stories about supernatural beings and focus on Christian themes. So, I waited a year or two, thinking she would get over this new thing of hers...new mindset, so to speak, to kick back in and she would continue on with the travels and stories of Lestat. Well, she didn't. So I sent her an email, which she had posted on her website. She was still living in New Orleans at that time, and anyway...I sent her an email asking her how it felt to be the killer of the vampire she claimed would never ever die? She was pissed, and actually responded that he was her creation and she could kill him off if she wanted to and my reply to that was just as snarky and we went back and forth in emails with her finally saying to never buy her books and to fuck off (yes, she used that word, lol) and I said no worries...I had no desire to further converse with a vampire killer, hehehehe.

Anyway..I guess other fans were a bit peeved too, because her christian books were not going over too well I suppose, but I didn't know that until I went to the library on Saturday. Lo and behold...there was Prince Lestat. And another one..this one called Wolf Gift. She is now into werewolves as well...and she moved to Palm Springs Calif so new state, new supernatural beings galore! I checked both out. Then I went to Amazon and to my delight, she has another three books out...Prince Lestat & THe Realm of Atlantis....and Wolves of Midwinter and Ramses The Damned. I just finished Prince Lestat and am starting Wolf Gift. I plan to call the library tomorrow to see if they have the others I discovered.

So..enough of my digression......anyone in to Anne Rice's vampire stories...or..anyone read the Wolf Gift books? Or Ramses The Damned? What did you think of them if you did read them? All this is new to me since I had no clue she went back to her proverbial roots in supernatural story telling.

Many years ago I read and enjoyed Memnoch the Devil. In a similar vein I recommend Imajica by Clive Barker.

I read one of hers once--all I remember is it ended with Cleopatra, ancient Egypt stuff, and it was really creepy--I stayed up all night and read because I was too scared to turn off the lights.
Queen of the Damned, maybe? I don't remember.

I read one of hers once--all I remember is it ended with Cleopatra, ancient Egypt stuff, and it was really creepy--I stayed up all night and read because I was too scared to turn off the lights.
The Mummy Ramses the Damned. Good book.
Queen of the Damned is the Vamp Chronicles.
Part two of The Mummy is Cleopatra's Passion. That one, I am ordering from the library.

The Mummy Ramses the Damned. Good book.
Queen of the Damned is the Vamp Chronicles.
Part two of The Mummy is Cleopatra's Passion. That one, I am ordering from the library.
YES! Thank you! Another poster brought up Anne Rice a while back and when I mentioned that book, they said I must have read Queen of the Damned, but I was pretty sure if it had been a vampire book, I would have remembered it. The Mummy. That was one creepy book. Anne Rice is good at what she does; I just can't read that stuff and sleep.

I liked a lot of Ann Rices early books- she really is responsible for the vampire craze that came afterwards- where she shines is in her historical fiction- recreating the feeling of historical New Orleans and Paris and Rome and Egypt- not whether they are accurate or not but making me feel like i could smell and taste those historical places.

But I felt as she went further into the Lestat stories she just jumped the shark and I thought they became boring. I haven't read any of her new stuff, even though I had heard she had gone back to it.

I have her first five vampire series, in hard cover and autographed by her. Prized possessions. I'm glad to hear that she has produced more of the vampire series since I lost touch with the literary world when my mother got sick. When I worked in DC, every time I walked passed the Four Seasons Hotel in Georgetown, I would think of Lestat up there with the dog after I read The Tale of the Body Thief.

I also loved the stuff about the Mayfair witches and the Taltos.

I never was into the horror genre, as it just revolved around some being who was evil for no stated reason. I read the vamp series only at the urging of my then husband and I was so pleasantly surprised. Ex-humans turned into "monsters' who were caught in the moral quandaries associated with being a Catholic or a noble Roman. Marius trying to "hunt" only the evil and loving Pandora for thousands of years for no return. His devotion to duty to Those Who Must Be Kept. Lestat and his mother discussing how to leave the church when the host was present on the altar. It was all so good.

Anne Rice is a truly masterful storyteller. I've got to read it all again.

Incidentally, the two movies, Queen of the Damned and Interview with a Vampire, truly sucked. I understand that people who write screenplays have to compact things into a two-hour movie, but the writers went way beyond. Queen of the Damned especially was an oinker.

LOVED the Taltos story line. HATED Mona Mayfair. You need to read Blackwood Farm. Truly excellent writing. Truly. She brings in Lestat but its mainly focused on a doppleganger and ghosts.

You also need to read up on Lestat. Things have changed with him in the Vamp World. Brat Prince is on a roll, lol.

Anne Rice - Book Series In Order

Blackwood Farm is excellent too.
I liked these:
Interview with the Vampire (1976) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Vampire Lestat (1985) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Queen of the Damned

And these
The Feast of All Saints (1979)
Cry to Heaven

I can't remember whether I read the Mummy- but I think I did- and I think I liked it.....but its been almost 30 years so....
I think it ended with Cleopatra waking up....and.....nothing. Until recently. ;)

LOVED the Taltos story line. HATED Mona Mayfair. You need to read Blackwood Farm. Truly excellent writing. Truly. She brings in Lestat but its mainly focused on a doppleganger and ghosts.

You also need to read up on Lestat. Things have changed with him in the Vamp World. Brat Prince is on a roll, lol.

Didn''t know that. Thank you. Any news of the lady who keeps the history? The still-functional half of the red-haired twins. She was so cool. The aunt of all of us. I can't remember the name of the man who tried to watch over that girl at Lestat's concert and then had to bring her home, dying, for the redhaired twin to be given no choice but to turn her. Got to read this again!

Anne Rice - Book Series In Order

Blackwood Farm is excellent too.
I liked these:
Interview with the Vampire (1976) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Vampire Lestat (1985) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
The Queen of the Damned

And these
The Feast of All Saints (1979)
Cry to Heaven

I can't remember whether I read the Mummy- but I think I did- and I think I liked it.....but its been almost 30 years so....

The Mummy was very sexy for a beach read. I remember absolutely loving Cry To Heaven. Got to read it again.

Good grief! You people are forcing me to review my dusty bookshelves:

• Interview with a Vampire
  • Blackwood Farm
  • The Vampire Armand
  • Taltos
  • The Queen of the Damned
  • The Witching Hour
  • The Vampire Lestat
  • Servant of the Bones
  • Violin
  • Blood and Gold
  • Blood Canticle
These are just the hardcovers that I presently have on my shelves that I can find immediately. I have other boxes of books both here in storage and the ones I took to New York.

Absolutely ready to join the Talamasca.

Last edited:

Didn''t know that. Thank you. Any news of the lady who keeps the history? The still-functional half of the red-haired twins. She was so cool. The aunt of all of us. I can't remember the name of the man who tried to watch over that girl at Lestat's concert and then had to bring her home, dying, for the redhaired twin to be given no choice but to turn her. Got to read this again!
Maharet. And mekare. The twins. Maharet....she still kept the records. I will not say more. You need to read Prince Lestat. It tells of what happens to them both.
Jesse. She was attacked at Lestats concert. Maharet turned her, I think. And she turned David (Jesse did)...leader of Talamasca.
Yes...you need to catch up! But you will in Prince Lestat. It has ALL the vamps in that book. They are being hunted, the vamps. Burned. Another like Akasha is doing it and they are in hiding so they all gather together. Mind you, Prince Lestat...NOT the second one title Prince Lestat Realm of Atlantis. That one carries forth what happens AFTER Lestat truly becomes Prince of the Savage Garden. :)

Forum List

Back