Anne Rice

Discussion in 'USMB Lounge' started by Gracie, Jul 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,288
    I had to laugh. I went to the library just for funzies and decided I would re read her Vampire stories...and much to my surprise, she has 2 new ones (2014) she has added to the Vampire Chronicles. Why did I laugh? Because she and I had a doozy of an email fight some years ago...it was after her husband died and she told her fans she would no longer write stories about supernatural beings and focus on Christian themes. So, I waited a year or two, thinking she would get over this new thing of hers...new mindset, so to speak, to kick back in and she would continue on with the travels and stories of Lestat. Well, she didn't. So I sent her an email, which she had posted on her website. She was still living in New Orleans at that time, and anyway...I sent her an email asking her how it felt to be the killer of the vampire she claimed would never ever die? She was pissed, and actually responded that he was her creation and she could kill him off if she wanted to and my reply to that was just as snarky and we went back and forth in emails with her finally saying to never buy her books and to fuck off (yes, she used that word, lol) and I said no worries...I had no desire to further converse with a vampire killer, hehehehe.

Anyway..I guess other fans were a bit peeved too, because her christian books were not going over too well I suppose, but I didn't know that until I went to the library on Saturday. Lo and behold...there was Prince Lestat. And another one..this one called Wolf Gift. She is now into werewolves as well...and she moved to Palm Springs Calif so new state, new supernatural beings galore! I checked both out. Then I went to Amazon and to my delight, she has another three books out...Prince Lestat & THe Realm of Atlantis....and Wolves of Midwinter and Ramses The Damned. I just finished Prince Lestat and am starting Wolf Gift. I plan to call the library tomorrow to see if they have the others I discovered.

So..enough of my digression......anyone in to Anne Rice's vampire stories...or..anyone read the Wolf Gift books? Or Ramses The Damned? What did you think of them if you did read them? All this is new to me since I had no clue she went back to her proverbial roots in supernatural story telling.

2. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,822
    Only 1, you know the one.

99.9% of movies are underwhelming if based on a book.

3. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,288
    Interview was a mess. She approved of Tom Cruise in being Lestat. WRONG CHOICE. Plus, the books are always better than anything hollyweird tries to churn out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. WillHaftawaite

WillHaftawaite USMB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,597
    ever read her novels on BDSM?

5. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,833
    Not always.

I can think of two examples where the movie was better.

The first was Jaws. Peter Benchley's novel wasn't that good, and Speilberg said after reading it, "After a certain point, I was cheering for the Shark." Spielberg took those characters and made a classic movie.

Another was the adaption of "A Handmaid's Tale" with Robert Duvall, Natasha Richardson and Faye Dunaway. Now, it's a truly crappy book, really overrated, but they managed to make a pretty good movie out of it. I haven't seen the netflix series and don't intend to.

6. night_son

night_son Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,043
    Many years ago I read and enjoyed Memnoch the Devil. In a similar vein I recommend Imajica by Clive Barker.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,288
    No, but I did bring that up when she was all hypocritical after Stan died and she wanted to focus on Christ.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,257
    I read one of hers once--all I remember is it ended with Cleopatra, ancient Egypt stuff, and it was really creepy--I stayed up all night and read because I was too scared to turn off the lights.
    Queen of the Damned, maybe? I don't remember.

9. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,288
    The Mummy Ramses the Damned. Good book.
    Queen of the Damned is the Vamp Chronicles.
    Part two of The Mummy is Cleopatra's Passion. That one, I am ordering from the library.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,288