animal survives boiling, freezing and space!

That's my favorite animal in the world! The tardigrade!!! I love them!

Geez, they can survive the pressures at the deepest part of the ocean, and the vacuum of space. They can be frozen to near zero, and they thrive in volcanic basins.

They can go decades without water, if not hundreds of years, and can survive radiation 1000x the amount that will kill a human!

If ever, there was a case for a highly-developed animal to cross space via ejection from an asteroid/comet strike, the tardigrade would be it!

And there's about a billion of them, for every one of us...

Everywhere you go on this planet, you will find tardigrades. They have also survived all 5 known major extinctions. And will probably be here until the earth is swallowed by the sun.

So we should all hail the tardigrade! It is a kick-butt mofo! NASA is trying to learn from this little thing, in order to mimic their tun's for space suits.

tumblr_n2ngurdH5K1tsa4gno1_500.gif

If you go into outer space without protection, you'll die.

The lack of pressure would force the air in your lungs to rush out. Gases dissolved in your body fluids would expand, pushing the skin apart and forcing it to inflate like a balloon. Your eardrums and capillaries would rupture, and your blood would start to bubble and boil. Even if you survived all that, ionising radiation would rip apart the DNA in your cells. Mercifully, you would be unconscious in 15 seconds.

How do these seemingly insignificant creatures survive in such extreme conditions?

But one group of animals can survive this: tiny creatures called tardigrades about 1mm long. In 2007, thousands of tardigrades were attached to a satellite and blasted into space. After the satellite had returned to Earth, scientists examined them and found that many of them had survived. Some of the females had even laid eggs in space, and the newly-hatched young were healthy.

Tardigrades return from the dead
Seriously, we should send these to Europa or maybe they are already there.

We should send these to every star in those spacebots with sails the size of an iPad.
They'll mess up the fragile ecosystem already there. :D
I like what Neal degrass Tyson said. "If an alien with really good eyes visited our planet they might mistake this as the planet of the tardigrades" Thats how many Tardigrades are on this planet.

Funny I don't remember them in 6th grade camp. That was 1980

He's the one that first turned me on to these critters! And i've been fascinated since... :)

Everywhere you go on this planet, you will find tardigrades. They have also survived all 5 known major extinctions. And will probably be here until the earth is swallowed by the sun.

So we should all hail the tardigrade! It is a kick-butt mofo! NASA is trying to learn from this little thing, in order to mimic their tun's for space suits.
It's far better than the cockroach.

Yeah but it's certainly an indication of intelligent design given it's similarities to other things.
All life is related. I don't know about an intelligent life maker though. I know it's all amazing, unbelievable and there's a lot we will never know.

I can see why you would think that way but better to consider all options. Don't settle on the one you like just because it's what you want to believe.

It's possible our universe is just one of an infinite number of universes and we are just one bubble in the lava lamp.

Time and space must be eternal. There's never been a beginning of time. Just a beginning of our universe. There was a time before our universe ends but time and space are eternal so other universes are born all the time.

For all we know. I haven't decided yet. Need more info

Multiverse, eh? To think we are but one Universe in an infinite number of the Omniverse would be to ponder the idea that, with so many existences being possible/probable, every possible decision/effect/outcome from everyone and everything, has already happened, will happen, and IS happening, all at once.

An Omniverse like that sounds conscious to me. Omnipotent even. An all-knowing, all-seeing One.
I think like snow no two universes is the same.

Just consider when you say our universe is all there is you are putting God in a box. God has lots of universes and if God existed before our universe then time existed before our universe. And a new universe will arise after ours dies out. Another big bang in 100 billion years.

Time and space are eternal, not God. Or with God. Whichever you prefer. If you want to add a God to infinite time and space go for it

Not Universe; Omniverse. I am also not separating God from Existence, as I believe both are one in the same, just described differently.

You are absolutely correct that no two universes would be the same in this scenario. For example, in X-verse, you decided not to eat breakfast this morning, but in Y-verse, you had breakfast. Every single other aspect of everything you've ever known, loved, or merely observed was the same, with that one little exception.

This is what an infinite number of universes brings us in terms of possibilities, which is every possibility.

So therefore, the Omniverse is comprised of every possible beginning, every possible variable, and every possible end from every possible Universe, all at the same "time"; and that, my friend, translates into an "all-knowing" Existence.
Why do I exist in two universes? To me this is ridiculous. In this universe my parents met. My grandparents met.

Think of all the sperm in my dad's balls. He had two kids. Had he not fucked that night in 1969 I would not have been born.

No reason you would exist in any other universe

No reason you would NOT exist in any other verse, either. ;)

Geez, they can survive the pressures at the deepest part of the ocean, and the vacuum of space. They can be frozen to near zero, and they thrive in volcanic basins.

They can go decades without water, if not hundreds of years, and can survive radiation 1000x the amount that will kill a human!

If ever, there was a case for a highly-developed animal to cross space via ejection from an asteroid/comet strike, the tardigrade would be it!

1aphg4.jpg

I was trying to find out the number of Tardigrade's on earth but couldn't find it. I knew it was a lot. And they'll be here long after we've gone extinct. They know god made THEM in his image.

All life is related. I don't know about an intelligent life maker though. I know it's all amazing, unbelievable and there's a lot we will never know.

I can see why you would think that way but better to consider all options. Don't settle on the one you like just because it's what you want to believe.

It's possible our universe is just one of an infinite number of universes and we are just one bubble in the lava lamp.

Time and space must be eternal. There's never been a beginning of time. Just a beginning of our universe. There was a time before our universe ends but time and space are eternal so other universes are born all the time.

For all we know. I haven't decided yet. Need more info

Multiverse, eh? To think we are but one Universe in an infinite number of the Omniverse would be to ponder the idea that, with so many existences being possible/probable, every possible decision/effect/outcome from everyone and everything, has already happened, will happen, and IS happening, all at once.

An Omniverse like that sounds conscious to me. Omnipotent even. An all-knowing, all-seeing One.

Just consider when you say our universe is all there is you are putting God in a box. God has lots of universes and if God existed before our universe then time existed before our universe. And a new universe will arise after ours dies out. Another big bang in 100 billion years.

Time and space are eternal, not God. Or with God. Whichever you prefer. If you want to add a God to infinite time and space go for it

Not Universe; Omniverse. I am also not separating God from Existence, as I believe both are one in the same, just described differently.

You are absolutely correct that no two universes would be the same in this scenario. For example, in X-verse, you decided not to eat breakfast this morning, but in Y-verse, you had breakfast. Every single other aspect of everything you've ever known, loved, or merely observed was the same, with that one little exception.

This is what an infinite number of universes brings us in terms of possibilities, which is every possibility.

So therefore, the Omniverse is comprised of every possible beginning, every possible variable, and every possible end from every possible Universe, all at the same "time"; and that, my friend, translates into an "all-knowing" Existence.
Why do I exist in two universes? To me this is ridiculous. In this universe my parents met. My grandparents met.

Think of all the sperm in my dad's balls. He had two kids. Had he not fucked that night in 1969 I would not have been born.

Stupid. That would mean in this alternate universe my grandparents met and fucked at the exact same time as my real grand parents did. And their grandparents met and fucked at the exact same time and so on all the way back to when they were monkeys.

I don't think you realize all the events that had to occur in the history of the world for you to have been born. If your daddy pulled out you'd have never been born.

1aphg4.jpg

Don't you just want to tickle it? :)

Stupid. That would mean in this alternate universe my grandparents met and fucked at the exact same time as my real grand parents did. And their grandparents met and fucked at the exact same time and so on all the way back to when they were monkeys.

I don't think you realize all the events that had to occur in the history of the world for you to have been born. If your daddy pulled out you'd have never been born.

"It is important to keep in mind that the multiverse view is not actually a theory, it is rather a consequence of our current understanding of theoretical physics. This distinction is crucial. We have not waved our hands and said: “Let there be a multiverse”. Instead the idea that the universe is perhaps one of infinitely many is derived from current theories like quantum mechanics and string theory."

The theory of parallel universes is not just maths – it is science that can be tested

String Theory calls for way more than a mere 10^100 (a googol) of parallel universes. It calls for no less than 10^500 and no less than 9 spatial and 1 temporal dimension. One thing we know to be consistent with scientific discovery, is that one day we will learn how much we still have to learn. Science is a perpetual cycle of this; or at least it should be.

I fully understand the implications of so many events leading up to one's current position in life. Obviously, had I never gotten into a minor fist fight one day during 9th grade, I would have never gone on to become a highly decorated combat veteran, nor would I have my amazing wife and children who are all a result of said service, or this lavish life of retirement and college. All because of one stupid fight, over 18 years ago. Had I not punched him, we wouldn't be talking right now. I also understand that wrapping my head around so many variables is next to impossible - UNLESS, there are an infinite number of possibilities, at which point, any speculation has merit (like a world in which the sky is green and plants are blue).

I don't know what theories you ascribe to, but there's really nothing stupid about what I'm talking about. It's just new and hard to understand, therefore, "stupid" (like the internet once was, or even video games). According to the most successful scientific experiment in human history (quantum physics), consciousness creates reality. Just by the mere act of looking at a photon can change the way it behaves. Just by the mere act of making a choice, or thinking a thought, literally changes the reality of all existence around you, no matter how minuscule.

If nothing else, by far some of the most advanced mathematics in the world are used in propagating String Theory, which for me will one day translate into a Mathematician's salary. Einstein's final works were titled, "The Theory of Everything." This is exactly what world-renowned physicists are pursuing with theoretical approaches like String Theory, and tangible approaches such as the Large Hadron Collidor.

Don't be hasty in writing things off if they don't immediately make sense or even jive with what feels right. Reality is a strange and wonderful thing, just begging to be explored and understood. It's not here to comfort anyone.

1aphg4.jpg

Don't you just want to tickle it? :)

Ya know something? I think I do! lol

LOL! Did you folks hear the news about the genes they isolated from the tardigrade genome, that creates a protein that helps it resist radiation? There's gotta be more than just that one protein, because that protein only blocks about 40-50% of the damage in human cells when transplanted. But it is a great starting point!

There's gotta be more that they use to resist raditaion than just that one protein since their resistance is still so much higher than that protein seems to provide, but still, that is a HUGE find!! And it works in human cells... So there's so much more to learn, that can possibly help humanity, from this little ticklish dude... But this is a huge find!

Understanding the tardigrade and learning its methods, may well be what gets us to colonize other planets, and save humanity when the time comes.

Survival secret of 'earth's hardiest animal' revealed - BBC News

Last edited:
I heard that if we could somehow amplify the Earth's magnetosphere, it would block 100% of harmful UV rays, and that we would have aurora's over the equator.

I once put a cockroach into a sputter chamber, and even sputtered a little silver. The damn thing came out alive and well, and a very cool looking silver bug

The lack of pressure would force the air in your lungs to rush out. Gases dissolved in your body fluids would expand, pushing the skin apart and forcing it to inflate like a balloon. Your eardrums and capillaries would rupture, and your blood would start to bubble and boil. Even if you survived all that, ionising radiation would rip apart the DNA in your cells. Mercifully, you would be unconscious in 15 seconds.

How do these seemingly insignificant creatures survive in such extreme conditions?

But one group of animals can survive this: tiny creatures called tardigrades about 1mm long. In 2007, thousands of tardigrades were attached to a satellite and blasted into space. After the satellite had returned to Earth, scientists examined them and found that many of them had survived. Some of the females had even laid eggs in space, and the newly-hatched young were healthy.

Time to call the SPCA.

I heard that if we could somehow amplify the Earth's magnetosphere, it would block 100% of harmful UV rays, and that we would have aurora's over the equator.

that is false, the suns UV is not affected the magnetic fields, and the aurora would actally move further towards the magnetic poles if anything

Time to call the SPCA.
Before I blasted them into space I soaked them in vodka.

that is false, the suns UV is not affected the magnetic fields, and the aurora would actally move further towards the magnetic poles if anything

Ultraviolet radiation. The Sun is bathing the Earth in ultraviolet radiation; that’s why you get a sunburn. But the ozone layer is a special region of the atmosphere that absorbs much of this radiation. Without the ozone layer we would be much more exposed here on the surface of the Earth to UV rays, leading to eye damage and greater incidence of skin cancer.

How Does the Earth Protect Us From Space? - Universe Today
Ultraviolet Waves

It's a well known and established fact that the Earth's Magnetosphere is responsible for protecting us from all manner of cosmic rays, up to, and including, Gamma Rays, X-rays, and Ultraviolet Rays.

And the tardigrades seem to have evolved a trait that makes them much more resistant to radiation, than is necessary on the earth.

Evolution usually only works to give you how much you need to survive in your environment. But with the tardigrades, they have sooo much more than necessary in many aspects, that it makes me wonder if they originated on Earth! :)

Funny, but that is not necessary when trying to find a way out of this planet. Just delays the inevitable, if true, which it is not.

We need ways to survive outside of home... And the tardigrade provides very compelling things to pursue, to help us, survive...

Forum List

Back