animal survives boiling, freezing and space!

It probably came to Earth on a comet
...thrown by God.

You'd have no problem explaining how and why this creature evolved on Earth, right? What did it evolove from? What evolved from it
But it must have evolved from something because the things it eats weren't here when life first started on earth.

Yeah, personally IDK

I think that like coral and jellyfish, it hitched a ride to Earth on a comet or asteroid

tumblr_n2ngurdH5K1tsa4gno1_500.gif

If you go into outer space without protection, you'll die.

The lack of pressure would force the air in your lungs to rush out. Gases dissolved in your body fluids would expand, pushing the skin apart and forcing it to inflate like a balloon. Your eardrums and capillaries would rupture, and your blood would start to bubble and boil. Even if you survived all that, ionising radiation would rip apart the DNA in your cells. Mercifully, you would be unconscious in 15 seconds.

How do these seemingly insignificant creatures survive in such extreme conditions?

But one group of animals can survive this: tiny creatures called tardigrades about 1mm long. In 2007, thousands of tardigrades were attached to a satellite and blasted into space. After the satellite had returned to Earth, scientists examined them and found that many of them had survived. Some of the females had even laid eggs in space, and the newly-hatched young were healthy.

Tardigrades return from the dead

My question's why would an Earth native and terrestrial animal evolve resistance to space?

Welcome to Earth I'm thinking. :)

With Proxima b's discovery and the concept of Panspermia (along with the theory that our Oort Cloud is intertwined with Alpha Centauri's, thereby constantly exchanging comet materials with each other), we could very well be looking at a star CLUSTER of related life. Our origins could be the same as Alpha Centauri in terms of DNA.

stash-1-244250d58073b0ed1.jpeg

Fascinating animal. Rather long description, but may answer some questions expressed here;

Tardigrade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taxonomy[edit]
See also: List of bilaterial animal orders

Illustration of Echiniscus sp. from 1861
Scientists have conducted morphological and molecular studies to understand how tardigrades relate to other lineages of ecdysozoan animals. Two plausible placements have been proposed: tardigrades are either most closely related to Arthropoda ± Onychophora, or tardigrades are most closely related to nematodes. Evidence for the former is a common result of morphological studies; evidence of the latter is found in some molecular analyses.

The latter hypothesis has been rejected by recent microRNA and expressed sequence tag analyses.[53] Apparently, the grouping of tardigrades with nematodes found in a number of molecular studies is a long branch attraction artifact. Within the arthropod group (called panarthropoda and comprising onychophora, tardigrades and euarthropoda), three patterns of relationship are possible: tardigrades sister to onychophora plus arthropods (the lobopodia hypothesis); onychophora sister to tardigrades plus arthropods (the tactopoda hypothesis); and onychophora sister to tardigrades.[54] Recent analyses indicate that the panarthropoda group is monophyletic, and that tardigrades are a sister group of Lobopodia, the lineage consisting of arthropods and Onychophora.[53][55]

Panarthropoda

Water bears (Tardigrada)

Lobopoda

Velvet worms (Onychophora)

Arthropods (Arthropoda)

The minute sizes of tardigrades and their membranous integuments make their fossilization both difficult to detect and highly unusual. The only known fossil specimens are those from mid-Cambrian deposits in Siberia and a few rare specimens from Cretaceous amber.[56]

The Siberian tardigrade fossils differ from living tardigrades in several ways. They have three pairs of legs rather than four, they have a simplified head morphology, and they have no posterior head appendages, but they share with modern tardigrades their columnar cuticle construction.[57] Scientists think they represent a stem group of living tardigrades.[56]

Rare specimens in Cretaceous amber have been found in two North American locations. Milnesium swolenskyi, from New Jersey, is the older of the two; its claws and mouthparts are indistinguishable from the living M. tardigradum. The other specimens from amber are from western Canada, some 15–20 million years earlier than M. swolenskyi. One of the two specimens from Canada has been given its own genus and family, Beorn leggi (the genus named by Cooper after the character Beorn from The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkienand the species named after his student William M. Legg); however, it bears a strong resemblance to many living specimens in the family Hypsibiidae.[56][58]

Aysheaia from the middle Cambrian Burgess shale has been proposed as a sister taxon to an arthropod-tardigrade clade.[59]

Tardigrades have been proposed to be among the closest living relatives of the Burgess shale oddity Opabinia.[60]

Genomes and genome sequencing[edit]
Tardigrade genomes vary in size, from about 75 to 800 megabase pairs of DNA.[61] The genome of Hypsibius dujardini has been sequenced.[62] This genome project debunked a previous claim that this species had 17% horizontal gene transfer from other bacteria, fungi, and viruses.[63] Hypsibius dujardini has a compact genome and a generation time of about two weeks; it can be cultured indefinitely and cryopreserved.[64]

The genome of Ramazzottius varieornatus has been reported to have been sequenced, but the results of this effort have not been published or made publicly available.[65

The lack of pressure would force the air in your lungs to rush out. Gases dissolved in your body fluids would expand, pushing the skin apart and forcing it to inflate like a balloon. Your eardrums and capillaries would rupture, and your blood would start to bubble and boil. Even if you survived all that, ionising radiation would rip apart the DNA in your cells. Mercifully, you would be unconscious in 15 seconds.

How do these seemingly insignificant creatures survive in such extreme conditions?

But one group of animals can survive this: tiny creatures called tardigrades about 1mm long. In 2007, thousands of tardigrades were attached to a satellite and blasted into space. After the satellite had returned to Earth, scientists examined them and found that many of them had survived. Some of the females had even laid eggs in space, and the newly-hatched young were healthy.

The fact God didn't give us these abilities sort of destroys the idea God made us special and it proves we are just another animal that evolved to our environment

My question's why would an Earth native and terrestrial animal evolve resistance to space?

Welcome to Earth I'm thinking. :)

With Proxima b's discovery and the concept of Panspermia (along with the theory that our Oort Cloud is intertwined with Alpha Centauri's, thereby constantly exchanging comet materials with each other), we could very well be looking at a star CLUSTER of related life. Our origins could be the same as Alpha Centauri in terms of DNA.

stash-1-244250d58073b0ed1.jpeg
This is the first animal we should send to alpha centauri

The fact God didn't give us these abilities sort of destroys the idea God made us special and it proves we are just another animal that evolved to our environment
Yeah but it's certainly an indication of intelligent design given it's similarities to other things.

Yeah but it's certainly an indication of intelligent design given it's similarities to other things.
All life is related. I don't know about an intelligent life maker though. I know it's all amazing, unbelievable and there's a lot we will never know.

I can see why you would think that way but better to consider all options. Don't settle on the one you like just because it's what you want to believe.

It's possible our universe is just one of an infinite number of universes and we are just one bubble in the lava lamp.

Time and space must be eternal. There's never been a beginning of time. Just a beginning of our universe. There was a time before our universe ends but time and space are eternal so other universes are born all the time.

For all we know. I haven't decided yet. Need more info

All life is related. I don't know about an intelligent life maker though. I know it's all amazing, unbelievable and there's a lot we will never know.

I can see why you would think that way but better to consider all options. Don't settle on the one you like just because it's what you want to believe.

It's possible our universe is just one of an infinite number of universes and we are just one bubble in the lava lamp.

Time and space must be eternal. There's never been a beginning of time. Just a beginning of our universe. There was a time before our universe ends but time and space are eternal so other universes are born all the time.

Multiverse, eh? To think we are but one Universe in an infinite number of the Omniverse would be to ponder the idea that, with so many existences being possible/probable, every possible decision/effect/outcome from everyone and everything, has already happened, will happen, and IS happening, all at once.

An Omniverse like that sounds conscious to me. Omnipotent even. An all-knowing, all-seeing One.

Multiverse, eh? To think we are but one Universe in an infinite number of the Omniverse would be to ponder the idea that, with so many existences being possible/probable, every possible decision/effect/outcome from everyone and everything, has already happened, will happen, and IS happening, all at once.

An Omniverse like that sounds conscious to me. Omnipotent even. An all-knowing, all-seeing One.
I think like snow no two universes is the same.

Just consider when you say our universe is all there is you are putting God in a box. God has lots of universes and if God existed before our universe then time existed before our universe. And a new universe will arise after ours dies out. Another big bang in 100 billion years.

Time and space are eternal, not God. Or with God. Whichever you prefer. If you want to add a God to infinite time and space go for it

Just consider when you say our universe is all there is you are putting God in a box. God has lots of universes and if God existed before our universe then time existed before our universe. And a new universe will arise after ours dies out. Another big bang in 100 billion years.

Time and space are eternal, not God. Or with God. Whichever you prefer. If you want to add a God to infinite time and space go for it

Not Universe; Omniverse. I am also not separating God from Existence, as I believe both are one in the same, just described differently.

You are absolutely correct that no two universes would be the same in this scenario. For example, in X-verse, you decided not to eat breakfast this morning, but in Y-verse, you had breakfast. Every single other aspect of everything you've ever known, loved, or merely observed was the same, with that one little exception.

This is what an infinite number of universes brings us in terms of possibilities, which is every possibility.

So therefore, the Omniverse is comprised of every possible beginning, every possible variable, and every possible end from every possible Universe, all at the same "time"; and that, my friend, translates into an "all-knowing" Existence.

Not Universe; Omniverse. I am also not separating God from Existence, as I believe both are one in the same, just described differently.

You are absolutely correct that no two universes would be the same in this scenario. For example, in X-verse, you decided not to eat breakfast this morning, but in Y-verse, you had breakfast. Every single other aspect of everything you've ever known, loved, or merely observed was the same, with that one little exception.

This is what an infinite number of universes brings us in terms of possibilities, which is every possibility.

So therefore, the Omniverse is comprised of every possible beginning, every possible variable, and every possible end from every possible Universe, all at the same "time"; and that, my friend, translates into an "all-knowing" Existence.
I was thinking more like an almost infinite number. A Google. So no you won't be born 100000 different ways. Every universe is different. Depending on how close it is to the core.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of your argument. And in science that's OK. No ones claiming to have proven or disproven the multiverse theory.

I was thinking more like an almost infinite number. A Google. So no you won't be born 100000 different ways. Every universe is different. Depending on how close it is to the core.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of your argument. And in science that's OK. No ones claiming to have proven or disproven the multiverse theory.

Caveat: I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, but I do like sharing ideas and philosophies with as many people as possible. It helps keep my mind open to new ideas.

There is another verse...Underverse.

All we can do is try to master this universe first and then see if we can ever learn if universes ever merge.

I think black holes either take stuff to other parts of this universe but maybe the go to other universes.

All we can do is try to master this universe first and then see if we can ever learn if universes ever merge.

I think black holes either take stuff to other parts of this universe but maybe the go to other universes.
masters-of-the-universe-logo-1024x640.jpg

Why do I exist in two universes? To me this is ridiculous. In this universe my parents met. My grandparents met.

Think of all the sperm in my dad's balls. He had two kids. Had he not fucked that night in 1969 I would not have been born.

No reason you would exist in any other universe

Seriously, we should send these to Europa or maybe they are already there.

We should send these to every star in those spacebots with sails the size of an iPad.

We should send these to every star in those spacebots with sails the size of an iPad.
They'll mess up the fragile ecosystem already there. :D

They'll mess up the fragile ecosystem already there. :D
I like what Neal degrass Tyson said. "If an alien with really good eyes visited our planet they might mistake this as the planet of the tardigrades" Thats how many Tardigrades are on this planet.

Funny I don't remember them in 6th grade camp. That was 1980

Forum List

Back