Angry GOP donors close their wallets

"Thomas Wachtell, who has previously given over $2,000 to McConnell but recently stopped donating to Senate GOP causes."
Yeah, things are gonna be tough without Toms $2,000 donation this year. Someone actually wrote a story about this? :laugh:

Looks like the money well might be drying up folks...

From the article...

"Republicans are confronting a growing revolt from their top donors, who are cutting off the party in protest over its inability to get anything done.

Tensions reached a boiling point at a recent dinner at the home of Los Angeles billionaire Robert Day. In full view of around two dozen guests, Thomas Wachtell, a retired oil and gas investor and party contributor, delivered an urgent message to the night’s headliner, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: Just do something.

Wachtell, who has given tens of thousands of dollars over the years to Senate Republicans, recalled that McConnell responded defensively. Passing legislation takes time, the Republican leader responded, and President Donald Trump didn’t seem to understand how long it required.

“Anybody who was there knew that I was not happy. And I don’t think anybody was happy. How could you be?” said Wachtell, who has previously given over $2,000 to McConnell but recently stopped donating to Senate GOP causes. “You’re never going to get a more sympathetic Republican than I am. But I’m sick and tired of nothing happening.”

With the GOP’s agenda at a virtual standstill on Capitol Hill, the party is contending with a hard reality. Some of the party's most elite and influential donors, who spent the past eight years plowing cash into the party’s coffers in hopes of accomplishing a sweeping conservative agenda and undoing Barack Obama’s legislative accomplishments, are closing their wallets."

Source: Angry GOP donors close their wallets

So are any of the USMB self-proclaimed Conservatives also fed up with the Republican Party as these weathly donors are?

Yeah you're right it does look like the money well might be drying up....

Apparently they can't even afford readable sized text anymore. :(

From the article...

"Republicans are confronting a growing revolt from their top donors, who are cutting off the party in protest over its inability to get anything done.

Tensions reached a boiling point at a recent dinner at the home of Los Angeles billionaire Robert Day. In full view of around two dozen guests, Thomas Wachtell, a retired oil and gas investor and party contributor, delivered an urgent message to the night’s headliner, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: Just do something.

Wachtell, who has given tens of thousands of dollars over the years to Senate Republicans, recalled that McConnell responded defensively. Passing legislation takes time, the Republican leader responded, and President Donald Trump didn’t seem to understand how long it required.

“Anybody who was there knew that I was not happy. And I don’t think anybody was happy. How could you be?” said Wachtell, who has previously given over $2,000 to McConnell but recently stopped donating to Senate GOP causes. “You’re never going to get a more sympathetic Republican than I am. But I’m sick and tired of nothing happening.”

With the GOP’s agenda at a virtual standstill on Capitol Hill, the party is contending with a hard reality. Some of the party's most elite and influential donors, who spent the past eight years plowing cash into the party’s coffers in hopes of accomplishing a sweeping conservative agenda and undoing Barack Obama’s legislative accomplishments, are closing their wallets."

So are any of the USMB self-proclaimed Conservatives also fed up with the Republican Party as these weathly donors are?
And the alternative is?

From the article...

Many...

From the article...

Uhm how many times have we used the term rihnos over the years, slick?

The problem for the left is that democrats already lost every meaningful election in the last six years including both houses of Congress, the presidency, the majority of governors and over 3,000 state and local elections. The Clintons used to have a high profile foundation when they could sell influence but it has dried up. The democrat party is obviously leaderless and has reduced itself to the political version of ambulance chaser by grasping every tragedy as a political opportunity.

'Angry GOP donors close their wallets'

....like DNC donors already have done with the Democratic Party and how Clinton Foundation donors have done to Hillary (causing her to 'pimp' her 'best selling' FICTION novel, 'This Is Who I Blame For My Losing The 2016 Election')

:p

McConnell and Rand Paul have to stop playing games.

If they went ahead with banning bump stocks and used it as leverage by demanding other concessions, it would blow the Democrats out of the water. If the Democrats dared complained they would look foolish, the GOP is in a great spot and they need it to generate the party.

I've got confidence that the R's aren't smart enough to even think up such grand strategy. Dems thumped them in the head several times while O was in office using that same technique. R's just stare cross eyed into the sun.

From the article...

I wasn't sure what they were fed up about. They are pissed congress hasn't delivered. But they are mired with Trump's agenda. So are they pissed about Congress or Trump?

From the article...

Probably spending their money on posh bomb bunkers.

Well everyone is saying we need to get donor money out of government. This is great

From the article...

They are only fed up with republicans like John McCain, Paul Ryan and Mitchell McConnell.

Report: Trump Michigan Voters Love POTUS, Hate Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell - Breitbart

Trump supporter shouts ‘McCain needs to die!’ This is how Meghan McCain shut down the hate.

Maybe Meghan's father should retire and people wouldn't wish him ill will.

Most people who are diagnosed with cancer at 80 would retire and spend what time they have left with family. Her father loves his power and influence more than his family.

Why are billionaires so insistent on kicking millions of people off their insurance? Is it we've got ours and to hell with everyone else? I'd like to see tax reform that sticks it to these billionaires. See what they think about that.
Just so it doesn't hurt you, right? I mean ---- let's take it all and then we can get our piece of their money.

Maybe these billionaires need a little poetic justice. They want something done. Apparently they don't care what it is. They have no qualms about kicking people off of their insurance yet I will bet they will howl if their ox gets gored.

From the article...

They are only fed up with republicans like John McCain, Paul Ryan and Mitchell McConnell.

Report: Trump Michigan Voters Love POTUS, Hate Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell - Breitbart

Trump supporter shouts ‘McCain needs to die!’ This is how Meghan McCain shut down the hate.

This is Breitbart. The fact is that Trump's approvals are underwater and Michigan is one of the states where it is down the most.

Typical Trump supporter. If someone had said that about Trump, they would be demanding the person be arrested. A bunch of animals.

Why are billionaires so insistent on kicking millions of people off their insurance? Is it we've got ours and to hell with everyone else? I'd like to see tax reform that sticks it to these billionaires. See what they think about that.
Just so it doesn't hurt you, right? I mean ---- let's take it all and then we can get our piece of their money.

Maybe these billionaires need a little poetic justice. They want something done. Apparently they don't care what it is. They have no qualms about kicking people off of their insurance yet I will bet they will howl if their ox gets gored.
You just don't get it, do you?

These people were elected to exercise a specific agenda. They promised they would, and so they got the votes. and the chance

Now, we find out that, in fact, they are just more of the problem. They aren't interested in the agenda - only in feathering their own nest - in propagating Washington power and control.

So, just like the Democrats, the Republican voter is rejecting the "business as usual" professional politicians. The turnover in Congress, while it may or may not result in a majority party change, is going to be massive. Republican primaries, in particular, are going to be bruising and ugly. Democrats don't seem to be interested in changing their platform, and will probably stick with their failed agenda. They will miss an excellent opportunity to return to relevance.

But, in the end, the people will get exactly what they want.

You just don't get it, do you?

These people were elected to exercise a specific agenda. They promised they would, and so they got the votes. and the chance

Now, we find out that, in fact, they are just more of the problem. They aren't interested in the agenda - only in feathering their own nest - in propagating Washington power and control.

So, just like the Democrats, the Republican voter is rejecting the "business as usual" professional politicians. The turnover in Congress, while it may or may not result in a majority party change, is going to be massive. Republican primaries, in particular, are going to be bruising and ugly. Democrats don't seem to be interested in changing their platform, and will probably stick with their failed agenda. They will miss an excellent opportunity to return to relevance.

But, in the end, the people will get exactly what they want.

I agree with Spare. Many of these Repubs are going to get an opponent in the primary. People are bolstered by Trump winning the Presidency, as it shows that if enough people get pissed off, the do nothing politicians are in trouble.

Where the problem lies is---------> We KNOW the rino's do NOT want a conservative to win anything. In states where the Democrat has little chance, the Democrats HELP the rino. So in essence, it is 2 v 1, with the 2 having all the cash.

CONSIDER-----------> When John Mcain ran for re-election in AZ, who do you think the Democrats wanted to win the primary, Mcain or Kelli Ward? If you look it up, the ONLY times Democrats didn't like John Mcain, was when he wanted to have military action, and when he ran against Obama! Besides that, the Democrats can USUALLY count on him to vote with them!

So in essence, in states with OPEN PRIMARY's that are heavily republican, who the Democratic opponent is, is not as important to Democrats as who the Republican candidate is. This is exactly how Thad Cochran got RE-ELECTED being rino, and his conservative opponent got defeated in the primary. The Democrats actually RAN ADS to support Thad Cochran in the primary!

So when anyone tells you that Republicans control the senate, they are just using semantics. You know who Murkowski is? Do you know who Collins is? Well, guess who was the single, LARGEST donor to BOTH of their campaigns........and if you don't believe me, look it up, it is public record. It was the TEACHERS UNION! In fact, Murkowski did NOT even win the Republican primary, the conservative did. So what did the Teachers union and Democrats do? They put up the money for her to run as an independent! They thought it would split the vote enough to get a Democrat in. And what happened? Murkowski won, BARELY.........over her Republican, CONSERVATIVE opponent, with the Democrat coming in a distant 3rd. This is all public record if you doubt me!

So both Democrats, AND Rino's are all about the swamp, or whatever you Democrats want to call it. The reason nothing can get done, even with the Repubs controlling both houses, and the Presidency is simple----------> Some Republicans in office are REALLY Democrats, but know they can not get elected proclaiming the truth. All you need do is LOOK, and you know what I am telling you is 100% true. Does anyone on this board think that the Repubs supported Cruz? How about Paul? Lee from Utah anyone? THEY DIDN'T, they hate them, because they are NOT for the swamp! The closest thing to them on the Democratic side is Mansion, and there are rumblings that Shumer wants him to have a primary opponent!

And now you KNOW why BOTH sides hate Trump! Suppose for an instant, taxes are cut, job growth soars, and tax receipts INCREASE. What is the 1st thing MOST thinking Americans are going to say to themselves? Why did it take a relative outsider to do this. What took so long? It happened before under Reagan, and as history shows, even 35% of the Democrats voted to get him re-elected. Washington can NOT have a repeat of this, or they LOSE THEIR POWER! In other words, they like each other and their power, MORE than they like us, or doing what is best for America!

Trump is doing a great job. By handing it to Congress, he is forcing a compromise.
He's about to dump the Iran deal into the lap of Congressional Republicans. A done deal that the Iranians are living up to.

Republicans do not want to have to cast votes in support of the Iran deal. They don't want it on their agenda. Trump is fucking over the people who are going to decide whether to let him be impeached or not.

What does the left even stand for anymore? What's their message? "at least we're not trump" or "republicans are literally hitler u guys" or "KILL WHITEY"...?

Trump, warts and all seems like a better alternative to that.
We stand for higher wages, better jobs, Medicare for all, a huge infrastructure bill to rebuild America, reducing inequality, getting military hardware out of our police departments, legalizing marijuana, ensuring the right to vote, a strong worker visa program, prison reform, elimination of private prisons, increasing alternative energy use.

How many more do you need?

Forum List

Back