Angry GOP donors close their wallets

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Looks like the money well might be drying up folks...

From the article...

"Republicans are confronting a growing revolt from their top donors, who are cutting off the party in protest over its inability to get anything done.

Tensions reached a boiling point at a recent dinner at the home of Los Angeles billionaire Robert Day. In full view of around two dozen guests, Thomas Wachtell, a retired oil and gas investor and party contributor, delivered an urgent message to the night’s headliner, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: Just do something.

Wachtell, who has given tens of thousands of dollars over the years to Senate Republicans, recalled that McConnell responded defensively. Passing legislation takes time, the Republican leader responded, and President Donald Trump didn’t seem to understand how long it required.

“Anybody who was there knew that I was not happy. And I don’t think anybody was happy. How could you be?” said Wachtell, who has previously given over $2,000 to McConnell but recently stopped donating to Senate GOP causes. “You’re never going to get a more sympathetic Republican than I am. But I’m sick and tired of nothing happening.”

With the GOP’s agenda at a virtual standstill on Capitol Hill, the party is contending with a hard reality. Some of the party's most elite and influential donors, who spent the past eight years plowing cash into the party’s coffers in hopes of accomplishing a sweeping conservative agenda and undoing Barack Obama’s legislative accomplishments, are closing their wallets."

Source: Angry GOP donors close their wallets

So are any of the USMB self-proclaimed Conservatives also fed up with the Republican Party as these weathly donors are?

From the article...

"Republicans are confronting a growing revolt from their top donors, who are cutting off the party in protest over its inability to get anything done.

Tensions reached a boiling point at a recent dinner at the home of Los Angeles billionaire Robert Day. In full view of around two dozen guests, Thomas Wachtell, a retired oil and gas investor and party contributor, delivered an urgent message to the night’s headliner, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: Just do something.

Wachtell, who has given tens of thousands of dollars over the years to Senate Republicans, recalled that McConnell responded defensively. Passing legislation takes time, the Republican leader responded, and President Donald Trump didn’t seem to understand how long it required.

“Anybody who was there knew that I was not happy. And I don’t think anybody was happy. How could you be?” said Wachtell, who has previously given over $2,000 to McConnell but recently stopped donating to Senate GOP causes. “You’re never going to get a more sympathetic Republican than I am. But I’m sick and tired of nothing happening.”

With the GOP’s agenda at a virtual standstill on Capitol Hill, the party is contending with a hard reality. Some of the party's most elite and influential donors, who spent the past eight years plowing cash into the party’s coffers in hopes of accomplishing a sweeping conservative agenda and undoing Barack Obama’s legislative accomplishments, are closing their wallets."

So are any of the USMB self-proclaimed Conservatives also fed up with the Republican Party as these weathly donors are?

This is indeed good news. Apparently the GOP 1 percenters expect their elected officials to accomplish something of value. If the donkey 1 percenters would follow suit, we might see Washington do something positive.

Great news, the GOP needs to get legislation moving, let’s hope with the money getting cut off they start pushing ahead with repealing Obamacare, reform the tax codes and make illegal those damn bump fire stocks that the Obama administration legalized. Tired of Republicans doing nothing. Let’s hope this gets real progress for America.

From the article...

How have you missed the rage? The weeping and the gnashing of teeth? The calling out for just some mega smiting on Capitol Hill?

Yeah I'd say a lot of conservatives are angry.

Trump is doing a great job. By handing it to Congress, he is forcing a compromise.

From the article...

How have you missed the rage? The weeping and the gnashing of teeth? The calling out for just some mega smiting on Capitol Hill?

I agree, the GOP has a chance to make a difference and they have wasted 9 months. Time to rock and roll.

With all the dough that went down the toilet with Hillary the Democrats can't be in all that much good shape either. In fact somebody posted a thread last week about their debt. Happy news on both counts as far as I'm concerned.

Because of all the praise, excuse making and ignoring of all of Trump's eff-ups, which he seems to rack up daily, from practically day one.

I see this from the rightwing politicians in Congress, the local precincts across the nation, right down to the rightwingers right here on USMB.

You guys have been saying how "if he's doing something to make Democrats mad, I'm happy."

So no...I haven't noticed what you just stated, because it's not reality.

Last edited:
Because of all the praise, excuse making and ignoring of all of Trump's eff-ups, which he seems to rack up daily, from practically day one.

I see this from the rightwing politicians in Congress, the local precincts, right down to the rightwingers right here on USMB.

You guys have been saying how "if he's doing something to make Democrats mad, I'm happy."

So no...I haven't noticed what you just stated. That's not reality.

What does the left even stand for anymore? What's their message? "at least we're not trump" or "republicans are literally hitler u guys" or "KILL WHITEY"...?

Trump, warts and all seems like a better alternative to that.

From the article...

THIS is how you drain the swamp ... if you don't follow our agenda, you're outta there.

Why are billionaires so insistent on kicking millions of people off their insurance? Is it we've got ours and to hell with everyone else? I'd like to see tax reform that sticks it to these billionaires. See what they think about that.

McConnell and Rand Paul have to stop playing games.

If they went ahead with banning bump stocks and used it as leverage by demanding other concessions, it would blow the Democrats out of the water. If the Democrats dared complained they would look foolish, the GOP is in a great spot and they need it to generate the party.

Why are billionaires so insistent on kicking millions of people off their insurance? Is it we've got ours and to hell with everyone else? I'd like to see tax reform that sticks it to these billionaires. See what they think about that.
Just so it doesn't hurt you, right? I mean ---- let's take it all and then we can get our piece of their money.

From the article...

I've been pissed at the gop for a few decades.

the fact that some rich people are just now figuring out they will not give up any power makes me wonder how I ended up on the other economic end.

From the article...

They are only fed up with republicans like John McCain, Paul Ryan and Mitchell McConnell.

Report: Trump Michigan Voters Love POTUS, Hate Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell - Breitbart

Trump supporter shouts ‘McCain needs to die!’ This is how Meghan McCain shut down the hate.

Forum List

Back