and the spin begins

Obama shifts on birth control mandate after heavy criticism

President Obama retreated on Friday from his controversial healthcare rule requiring religious organizations such as charities and hospitals to include contraception coverage in their healthcare plans.

Obama described his compromise as “a sensible approach” in which employees who work for religious organizations that object to the use of birth control would be able to obtain contraception from the employer's insurer.

Obama shifts on birth control mandate after heavy criticism - TheHill.com

If it isn't about birth control, why are they calling it the birth control mandate?

You guys are not understanding how politically agressive the catholic church is.

Religious freedom, my butt.

I think now, obama is finally understanding how politically aggressively they will fight when under assault ...

as in chess... a bishop will always check and topple a king.

He underestimated them but I don't believe they can legally back completely out of the mandate. The church will fight certainly but there is another side to this issue.

President Obama retreated on Friday from his controversial healthcare rule requiring religious organizations such as charities and hospitals to include contraception coverage in their healthcare plans.

Obama described his compromise as “a sensible approach” in which employees who work for religious organizations that object to the use of birth control would be able to obtain contraception from the employer's insurer.

If it isn't about birth control, why are they calling it the birth control mandate?

You guys are not understanding how politically agressive the catholic church is.

I think now, obama is finally understanding how politically aggressively they will fight when under assault ...

He underestimated them but I don't believe they can legally back completely out of the mandate. The church will fight certainly but there is another side to this issue.

what would that be?

they being the Catholic bishops? Or they being the author of your linked piece? Or are you assuming this author speaks for the Catholic bishops?

This is exactly the reason why I keep telling people that the media is not a reliable source for solid, unspun information. The media - left wing media - insist on making it about birth control because it is far easier to sell it to their audience as a fight for women's rights. It is not a fight for women's rights - it is a fight for religious liberty... as I tried to explain above.

You're not the one who was caving. You're not involved in the decision making in any way.

I don't have pain over this, I don't need contraception because of a surgery but to be fighting over this in 2012 is archaic.

i think religious freedom is just as worthy a cause as reproductive freedom.

The Catholic church is oppressive. I think Catholic women also have the right to choose when and how many times reproduction occurs.

They have the right to choose, its just that the Church doesn't PAY for it. Indded, fighting over this in 2012 is archaic, The Constitution was pretty clear about religious freedom a long time ago. Further clarified by separation fo church and state, only to be ignored by a supposed Constitutional lawyer president.

they being the Catholic bishops? Or they being the author of your linked piece? Or are you assuming this author speaks for the Catholic bishops?

This is exactly the reason why I keep telling people that the media is not a reliable source for solid, unspun information. The media - left wing media - insist on making it about birth control because it is far easier to sell it to their audience as a fight for women's rights. It is not a fight for women's rights - it is a fight for religious liberty... as I tried to explain above.

word.

The issue is religious freedom. End of. You are either on the side of religious liberty or you are not. There is no other side.

no, i dont think understood until just now when he tried this little push. He did not expect the church to come out and flat call him liar in public...... and now he is feeling the heat of the election... and the catholics are a HUGE voting block to lose.

The sides to this issue no longer matter.... obama will look to this election, and that will be the result.

The issue is religious freedom. End of. You are either on the side of religious liberty or you are not. There is no other side.

What about those of us who are "just" on the side of liberty?

This issue really highlights how fucked up our government has become. We no longer govern ourselves via democracy and laws that apply equally to all. We vest dictatorial authority in regulatory agencies that just make up rules as they go. And then the apply them willy nilly, giving breaks to groups who "play ball" and fucking over those who resist their authority.

I think a lot of people see the "compromise" with the Catholics as a marginal victory for liberty, but it's not. It's the opposite. It's this administration buying off a power block and screwing the rest of us.

GO team!

Last edited:
A. No cost.
B. Had 1 year waiver already. Another BS outrage for the dupes.

Change the channel, morons.

a 1 year waiver?

So it's okay to nullify the first amendment if you give people a year to get used to it?

B.S. about no cost. There is no such thing as no cost. There will be costs to the insurance companies. The costs will be passed on to the insurance companies' clients.

Furthermore, as noted elsewhere, many Catholic institutions self-insure, so this new "accommodation" still forces Catholics to pay for things which violate their religion.

Adding birth control saves the insurers money. 28 states already do this. You are highly misled lol.

no, i dont think understood until just now when he tried this little push. He did not expect the church to come out and flat call him liar in public...... and now he is feeling the heat of the election... and the catholics are a HUGE voting block to lose.

The sides to this issue no longer matter.... obama will look to this election, and that will be the result.

Catholic women are not with the church on this issue. Women want birth control so the church has also made some reaches on whether they have ultimate authority over it's members.

Obama is feeling pressure about how it was presented but he also has female voters siding with HIM. Not the church. He can work it out.

every decision he makes now.. every policy.. every bill signed into law...every speech... will be for one reason and one reason only... to help him win re-election.

I think this shows he's not as confident as he used to be about his chances.

What about those of us who are "just" on the side of liberty?

This issue really highlights how fucked up our government has become. We no longer govern ourselves via democracy and laws that apply equally to all. We vest dictatorial authority in regulatory agencies that just make up rules as they go. And then the apply them willy nilly, giving breaks to groups who "play ball" and fucking over those who resist their authority.

I think a lot of people see the "compromise" with the Catholics as a marginal victory for liberty, but it's not. It's the opposite. It's this administration buying off a power block and screwing the rest of us.

GO team!

I would suggest that, since even atheist groups are voicing support for the Catholic Church, I'm thinking it's the side of liberty. :lol:

Simply put - and as I posted earlier with a statement from the Bishops - this is not a compromise that the Church - or other faiths - are happy with.

No doubt, the left will lie and ignore the statement from the Bishops - and their dumbassed borg will happily follow whatever their media tells them is the truth. They've shown little ability to think for themselves so far.

Catholic women are not with the church on this issue. Women want birth control so the church has also made some reaches on whether they have ultimate authority over it's members.

Obama is feeling pressure about how it was presented but he also has female voters siding with HIM. Not the church. He can work it out.

Catholic women ARE with the church on this, Sarah. Stop looking at polls that skew their results to 'prove' the lefts desire.

Catholics don't see it as an issue of birth control - they see it for what it is... religious liberty. Look at the damned polls that ask the right question.

If you believe in God, then you believe in free will...however, that doesn't mean that if you chose to be a Catholic, then you get to influence church doctrine. Anyway, I don't even want to bring up cafeteria Catholics.:D

The people do not vote for Pope. Catholic women are smart enough to see this is not about allowing birth control, but who decides religious issues. They will not let Obama be their priest.

A. No cost.
B. Had 1 year waiver already. Another BS outrage for the dupes.

Change the channel, morons.

a 1 year waiver?

So it's okay to nullify the first amendment if you give people a year to get used to it?

B.S. about no cost. There is no such thing as no cost. There will be costs to the insurance companies. The costs will be passed on to the insurance companies' clients.

Furthermore, as noted elsewhere, many Catholic institutions self-insure, so this new "accommodation" still forces Catholics to pay for things which violate their religion.

Adding birth control saves the insurers money. 28 states already do this. You are highly misled lol.

I see your point about net costs.

It does not address the greater point about the nullification of the first amendment.

I would really like to see the stats on the number of people who won't use birth control unless their insurance company pays.

if rights are rights.....on one hand denying the right to marry is a bad thing, but denying well established principals of conscience their right to not engage in a practice isn't? it doesn't add up imho. they just didn't make this up to trip up obama ....

if rights are rights.....on one hand denying the right to marry is a bad thing, but denying well established principals of conscience their right to not engage in a practice isn't? it doesn't add up imho. they just didn't make this up to trip up obama ....

I blame congress... signing fucking bills without knowing what's in it.... the 'Pelosi Method of Running the Country'.

Fucking incompetent bastards. They fuck up - and blame Americans for getting pissed about their incompetence. And their sheep actually fall for it. Seriously. Damn.

Forum List

Back