And the award for the most ridiculous poll sampling goes to …

Discussion in 'Media' started by Stephanie, May 12, 2011.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,360
    they are getting desperate folks. they saw the midterm elections, keep that in mind. they know the Obama and his comrades in arms are NOT that well liked by a majority of the people...

SNIP.
    posted at 9:30 am on May 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey
    printer-friendly

Move over, CBS. Hang up the kid-leather gloves, WaPo/ABC. There’s a new sample-skewing sheriff in town, and it’s the Associated Press. In a new definition of “outlier,” the AP reported that its latest poll from GfK Roper shows Barack Obama with a 60% approval rating in a survey of 1001 adults, with even his approval on the economy shooting past the 50% mark:

President Barack Obama’s approval rating has hit its highest point in two years — 60 percent — and more than half of Americans now say he deserves to be re-elected, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll taken after U.S. forces killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

In worrisome signs for Republicans, the president’s standing improved not just on foreign policy but also on the economy, and independent Americans — a key voting bloc in the November 2012 presidential election — caused the overall uptick in support by sliding back to Obama after fleeing for much of the past two years.

Comfortable majorities of the public now call Obama a strong leader who will keep America safe. Nearly three-fourths — 73 percent — also now say they are confident that Obama can effectively handle terrorist threats. And he improved his standing on Afghanistan, Iraq and the United States’ relationships with other countries.

Oddly — or perhaps not — the AP report doesn’t include a link back to the survey’s raw data. In order to find it, one has to go to GfK’s site for its AP polls. The partisan breakdown in the sample is found about halfway through the PDF, and it explains a great deal about how Obama managed to get such a high boost in this poll while others showed shallow bumps that had already started to subside.

The Dem/Rep/Ind breakdown in this poll is 46/29/4, as AP assigned most of the leaners to the parties. That is a 17-point gap, more than twice what was seen in the 2008 actual popular vote that elected Obama. It only gets worse when independents are assigned properly. When taking out the leaners, the split becomes — I’m not kidding — 35/18/27. Oh, and another 20% “don’t know.” That’s significantly worse than the March poll, in which the proper D/R/I was 29/20/34, and far beyond their post-midterm sample of 31/28/26. It’s pretty easy to get Obama to 60% when Republicans are undersampled by almost half.

Frankly, this sample is so bad that no real insights can be gleaned from it. I think it’s time to break out the Billy Madison verdict:

read the rest and comments
    And the award for the most ridiculous poll sampling goes to … « Hot Air

2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Well, you didn't think the water was going to carry itself, did you?

3. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,794
    It's nice to know the AP is still the propaganda arm of the Democrats.

4. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,717
    The only people too stupid to know if they are D/R/I are those too ashamed to admit they are Republicans. So that makes the break 35/38/27.

5. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,126
    And above is the first mutton headed, bull shit EXCUSE from a LIBERAL for the AP's horrendous bias.

6. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,126
    And here is WHY the AP, and others, are so damn biased...

7. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,717
    SOROS DERANGEMENT SYNDROME!!!!!

hahahahaha FAUX hahahahaha

8. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    meaningless numbers on a paper,what will mean something is the next election,and for politics its light years away.

9. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,971
    The lack of understanding how polling works is incredibly entertaining to me.

You realize that the calls are made to random phone numbers, right?

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,723
    I conducted a poll among the Democrats and Republicans within 5 miles of my house and they all agreed I should run for President. Proves my point. You can get a poll to say anything.