And so it begins- Romney the Job Killer

You notice how they always trot out Reagan but never trot out Goldwater?

If you mean by "they", those of us who don't think we can win with a liberal, let's look at that.

Who does Obama look more like right now. LBJ or Carter? If you are going to go with historical comparisons, use apt ones.

The whole Goldwater argument is that if the GOP had ONLY run Nelson Rockerfeller instead of Barry Goldwater, they could have really won in 1964.

Which is bullshit. No way LBJ was going to lose in 1964. The economy was going gangbusters, we were at peace, (Vietnam wouldn't start in earnest for another year) the President was enormasly popular and was wearing the mantle of a martyred JFK.

No, Goldwater lost because he didn't have an argument to make. If Goldwater had asked the "Reagan Question", - are you better off than you were four years ago- nearly everyone would have said, "Absolutely!" He was president of America's Zenith. There's a reason why we so romanticize "Camelot" today, because we've been in decline ever since.

If Romney asks the Reagan Question, the answer might well be, "Probably not, but guys like you got us into this mess to start with!"

Newt isn't Reagan. Neither is Perry nor Bachmann nor Santorum nor Cain nor Trump nor whomever you want to analogize. So please stop making that comparison. Quayle used to say that "they used to say that about Reagan" when referring to himself as a candidate who couldn't win. Guess what? Nobody says "They said that about Quayle!"

Reagan wasn't Reagan in 1980, he was the guy who acted with a chimp to more than a few.

Newt isn't Reagan. Neither is Perry nor Bachmann nor Santorum nor Cain nor Trump nor whomever you want to analogize. So please stop making that comparison. Quayle used to say that "they used to say that about Reagan" when referring to himself as a candidate who couldn't win. Guess what? Nobody says "They said that about Quayle!"

I'm really starting to think you really weren't around in 1980. If you were, you'd remember how Reagan was described as "that B-Movie Actor" who was "kind of a dunce" and "was going to blow up the world".

But I will give you one thing... Romney isn't Reagan, either.

Romney is a corporate raider with a crazy religion. He might appeal to the Wall Street Republicans, but the rest of the country is groaning.

You can keep saying it and it still won't make it so. Romney was never a lib, not even close. he moderated some positions to get elected. This is MA, you aren't going to get elected as a Republican running as a hard core conservative. Sorry, never going to happen.

He didn't just moderate. He ran and governered as a liberal. He ushered in socialized medicine that Obama copied and the made his state the first to recognize homosexual marriage. And then he suddenly discovered he was against what he just did when he decided to run for President.

Or as Mike Huckabee opined, he reached political maturity at the age of 60.

And LOL at your description of Bain and their business. Some of you really should get a clue, just some clue about the subject matter you post.

You know, you can make the "you just don't understand business" model all day, I'll freely admit, I don't understand the mentality that a person can have that says, "I'm going to destroy a business in order to personally profit."

I hope I never understand that kind of mentality.

I think it's laughable, though, that anyone can say that there's some wisdom we don't understand behind it. 30 years of this crap, this is not the America I grew up in, not even close.

People look at this and understand it perfectly well. We've destroyed the middle class in the name of greed. This is why Romney isn't even getting traction amongst Republicans.

I knew it wouldn't take long for the MSM to dredge up every person who got fired by Bain..

NBC Politics - As Romney's firm profited in SC, jobs disappeared

Four years later, the Holson Burns Group Inc. — the company controlled by Romney's Bain Capital LLC — closed the factory and laid off about 150 workers. Some jobs were sent north, where months later many of those were also eliminated. Other operations went overseas.

But Bain walked away with millions in profits.

This is why Romney would be poison as a candidate.... you can talk about Business smarts all day, but that's trumped by one worker standing in front of a shuttered plant.

It's easier to do that than dig up everyone Obama has forced into unemployment. At least the folks Romney may have laid off can fit in a movie theater.

Obama can't say the same thing.

Last edited:
I knew it wouldn't take long for the MSM to dredge up every person who got fired by Bain..

Four years later, the Holson Burns Group Inc. — the company controlled by Romney's Bain Capital LLC — closed the factory and laid off about 150 workers. Some jobs were sent north, where months later many of those were also eliminated. Other operations went overseas.

This is why Romney would be poison as a candidate.... you can talk about Business smarts all day, but that's trumped by one worker standing in front of a shuttered plant.

It's easier to do that than dig up everyone Obama has forced into unemployment. At least the folks Romney may have laid off can fit in a movie theater.

Obama can't say the same thing.

Can you point to one worker who can honestly say, "Obama did ______, and our jobs disappeared?". At best, a president has an indirect effect on the economy.

Romney buying your company and laying you off goes directly to Romney, and plays right into the narrative Obama is going into... we busted our humps, but greedy assholes on Wall Street took YOUR bailout money and didn't provide the jobs.

You mean just like the media digging up everything Newt has ever said about anything?

I hate to break it to you, but a businessman will fire people. Most people understand that. What people don't understand is someone saying we should arrest judges who make decisions a candidate disagrees with, or women can't serve in the military because they get diseases in ditches, or people who smoke pot should be electrocuted, or the government should build giant mirrors in space to better illuminate the night highways, or we should hire 9 year-olds, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so ...

You can tear down Newt all day, but people still won't love Romney.

They'll just shift to someone else....

Yes, a businessman will fire people. Everyone in the country has encountered an asshole like Romney once in their life who laid them off, usually as a result of their bad management.

And Next November, everyone will be able to take it out on a guy just like him.

By voting for Obama.

"I look like the guy you work with... Romney looks like the guy who lays you off." - Mike Huckabee.

Oh that's wicked deep. :doubt:

I'm sure most Americans, especially those who are not already predisposed to voting for all things (D), can differentiate a private businessman whose JOB it was to effectively consolidate failing businesses from that the same man who, provided a Presidential circumstance, could actually grasp our economic needs as a nation, effectively create jobs in the private sector, and ultimately work tirelessly to balance our budget...

Yes, a businessman will fire people. Everyone in the country has encountered an asshole like Romney once in their life who laid them off, usually as a result of their bad management.

By voting for Obama.

"I look like the guy you work with... Romney looks like the guy who lays you off." - Mike Huckabee.

I'm sure most Americans, especially those who are not already predisposed to voting for all things (D), can differentiate a private businessman whose JOB it was to effectively consolidate failing businesses from that the same man who, provided a Presidential circumstance, could actually grasp our economic needs as a nation, effectively create jobs in the private sector, and ultimately work tirelessly to balance our budget...

Gee, oddly their job ALWAYS seems to involve laying people off, and never seem to involve cutting those eight figure salaries, private jets and corporate retreats.

I guess you haven't been paying attention, but there is no love for Wall Street right now at any end of the poltiical spectrum. They got huge bailouts and didn't produce the promised jobs. All Obama has to do is harness that energy and he's a walk into a second term.

Which I personally think is ironic, as Wall Street firms are his biggest contributors.

jump-you-fuckers.jpg

Seriously, I would love to make the commercial featuring this town and it's shuttered factory, and a lot of unhappy people in denim talking about Mitt Romney stole their future. The faction of the GOP that cheers for Mr. Potter might not like it, but it will resonate with NORMAL people.

This is how Ted Kennedy beat Romney by 17 points in 1994.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's the left's big plan to pit Americans against each other in class warfare?

Kennedy beat Romney for an incumbant Senate seat in one of the most liberal blue States in the country...BFD. Pretty funny you actually use that line over and over here... :lol:

At the end of the day its going to be all about the economy and where it stands in Nov of 2012.

You have a majority of Americans who think America is headed in the wrong direction. Barry is at the helm of the ship right now. He's got it headed in that wrong direction.

I think they will vote him out and a Rep in. I also think it will be either Romney or Gingrich.

Yeah, that's the left's big plan to pit Americans against each other in class warfare?

If it works, it works. Romney can be "swiftboated" on his business record.

The alliance between the GOP Rank and file (mostly working folks like me) and Wall Street works when unemployment is low and people feel secure.

When people are working harder for less money, because they are afraid of losing their jobs, the class warfare argument resonates pretty clearly to them.

Now the GOP could avoid the "class warfare" trap by nominating someone who wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth. And we had plenty of them- Perry, Palin, Huckabee... but the Beltway people had their heart set on Romney.

Kennedy beat Romney for an incumbant Senate seat in one of the most liberal blue States in the country...BFD. Pretty funny you actually use that line over and over here... :lol:

Other Republicans have won in Massachusetts. Even Romney was able to win if they gave him a non-entity to run against.

But when Romney runs against real opponents- he loses. He's not a good candidate. He doesn't connect with people on an emotional level.

His idea of hardship is that he didn't have a refirgerator in France when he was a Mormon Missionary? Really? That was the worst time of your life, Mittens?

Its what the man did for a living.

its basically the republican plan for American government.

Shut it down and fire everyone so the corporations can fill the needs of Amerians at a much greater cost to Americans

You can keep saying it and it still won't make it so. Romney was never a lib, not even close. he moderated some positions to get elected. This is MA, you aren't going to get elected as a Republican running as a hard core conservative. Sorry, never going to happen.

He didn't just moderate. He ran and governered as a liberal. He ushered in socialized medicine that Obama copied and the made his state the first to recognize homosexual marriage. And then he suddenly discovered he was against what he just did when he decided to run for President.

Or as Mike Huckabee opined, he reached political maturity at the age of 60.

And LOL at your description of Bain and their business. Some of you really should get a clue, just some clue about the subject matter you post.

You know, you can make the "you just don't understand business" model all day, I'll freely admit, I don't understand the mentality that a person can have that says, "I'm going to destroy a business in order to personally profit."

I hope I never understand that kind of mentality.

I think it's laughable, though, that anyone can say that there's some wisdom we don't understand behind it. 30 years of this crap, this is not the America I grew up in, not even close.

People look at this and understand it perfectly well. We've destroyed the middle class in the name of greed. This is why Romney isn't even getting traction amongst Republicans.

It's fine not to like Romney, I get that. But it's not ok to simply make up your own facts. He didn't govern as a liberal. Not even close. When Romney was Gov of MA there was an 85% Dem majority in the legislature. Did you know that? Do you have a clue what that meant? Did you also know what Travaglini and the legislature was up to wrg to healthcare? Trust someone who knows and lives here, it was going to be true socialized medicine. What Romney proposed was good for MA, for a single state, and a state that supported it. That is a conservative virtue. Anything the legislature wanted to overturn they could. The only way Romney could get anything done was to use the bully pulpit and leadership. He cleaned up the Big Dig, he balanced the budget making some tough choices.

You could put your paragon of Conservatism in MA as Gov and he/she would get NOTHING done as an 85% legislature would overturn every veto and stop anything they want.

You simply don't have a clue or have an agenda but you really have to look at the facts and the circumstances and the situation. Romney is a conservative. It's a fact. But he could have either accomplished nothing or tried, worked with the loons in MA, kept trying, make smart compromises and try and impart the best changes and stem the moonbats as best he could.

By voting for Obama.

Gee, oddly their job ALWAYS seems to involve laying people off, and never seem to involve cutting those eight figure salaries, private jets and corporate retreats.

I guess you haven't been paying attention, but there is no love for Wall Street right now at any end of the poltiical spectrum. They got huge bailouts and didn't produce the promised jobs. All Obama has to do is harness that energy and he's a walk into a second term.

Which I personally think is ironic, as Wall Street firms are his biggest contributors.

jump-you-fuckers.jpg

Seriously, I would love to make the commercial featuring this town and it's shuttered factory, and a lot of unhappy people in denim talking about Mitt Romney stole their future. The faction of the GOP that cheers for Mr. Potter might not like it, but it will resonate with NORMAL people.

This is how Ted Kennedy beat Romney by 17 points in 1994.

that isn't how Fatboy won in 94, he won because his last name is Kennedy. Period the end. Nobody was ever going to beat Kennedy. Kennedy killed a girl, covered it up, and still was elected king Senator for life in MA. I don't care what any pundit or any website says, Romney NEVER had a chance. Nobody ever had a chance. MA felt bad for the fat dumb and stupid Kennedy who blew it. He was "our" king Senator who couldn't be President but would have a Senate seat for life. People in MA are fucked up whack jobs.

And again, Bain didn't just take companies and scrap them, they invested in all kinds of companies. They grew companies and still do to this day. Obama has ruined more careers with the likes of Solyndra than Bain could ever be accused of. Bain didn't pick winners and losers. They took losers and salvaged what they could and then used the proceeds to invest and grow winners. They serve a valuable job creating purpose, that sadly not enough people understand. Bain has dozens of companies in its portfolio today that either wouldn't exist, would have failed or would not have been remotely as successful if not for them Romney will have to effectively communicate this.

If it works, it works. Romney can be "swiftboated" on his business record.

The alliance between the GOP Rank and file (mostly working folks like me) and Wall Street works when unemployment is low and people feel secure.

When people are working harder for less money, because they are afraid of losing their jobs, the class warfare argument resonates pretty clearly to them.

Now the GOP could avoid the "class warfare" trap by nominating someone who wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth. And we had plenty of them- Perry, Palin, Huckabee... but the Beltway people had their heart set on Romney.

Other Republicans have won in Massachusetts. Even Romney was able to win if they gave him a non-entity to run against.

But when Romney runs against real opponents- he loses. He's not a good candidate. He doesn't connect with people on an emotional level.

His idea of hardship is that he didn't have a refirgerator in France when he was a Mormon Missionary? Really? That was the worst time of your life, Mittens?

Perry and Palin are complete morons. Huckabee is too religious, Americans don't want that. If the GOP could have run someone else, then fine, but Mitt is the best of the bunch running.

Take a look at the other Republicans who won in MA. Weld? Weld and conservative were never spoken in the same sentence. Losing to Ted Kennedy, a legacy lifetime king senator means a "real opponent" and he can't win? LOL. Name a Republican who could have beaten Kennedy in 94. Name one.

Meh.

150 people lost their jobs over 20 years ago. BFD.

My company has laid off thousands during the past 7 years during a restructuring period. And we are much, much stronger than we were 7 years ago.

Meh.

My company has laid off thousands during the past 7 years during a restructuring period. And we are much, much stronger than we were 7 years ago.

hmmmm, "restructuring". That's a word Bain Capital made up under Romney. It means, "screw the workers and take all their money".

Obama cares. Bad things might be happening under Obama, but he cares, he feels your pain.... as he departs for 17 days in Hawaii. And Palin cares as she banks more book money and speaking engagement money. Newt cares as he pockets a few million from his history lessons for Fannie and Freddie LOL.

Romney on the other hand, he profits from your pain. I also heard Bain Capital handed out coal for a x-mas bonus when Romney was there. And he lost to Ted Kennedy in MA. Can you imagine, losing to a Kennedy in MA??

Meh.

hmmmm, "restructuring". That's a word Bain Capital made up under Romney. It means, "screw the workers and take all their money".

Obama cares. Bad things might be happening under Obama, but he cares, he feels your pain.... as he departs for 17 days in Hawaii. And Palin cares as she banks more book money and speaking engagement money. Newt cares as he pockets a few million from his history lessons for Fannie and Freddie LOL.

Romney on the other hand, he profits from your pain. I also heard Bain Capital handed out coal for a x-mas bonus when Romney was there. And he lost to Ted Kennedy in MA. Can you imagine, losing to a Kennedy in MA??

I guess you missed the last sentence of my post.

Our stock bottomed out at $18 per share years ago. Now we are above $40 again. And with the employee stock purchase plan we have, this is a VERY good thing for the employees.

Meh.

I guess you missed the last sentence of my post.

Our stock bottomed out at $18 per share years ago. Now we are above $40 again. And with the employee stock purchase plan we have, this is a VERY good thing for the employees.

sarcasm. "good for you but what about the laid off workers" "you got fat and rich off their backs"

The rich get richer while more and more go unemployed. {sarcasm}

This is the liberal view of business. Why should anyone ever be laid off? That is their argument. So what if there's nothing for the worker to do, they NEED a job.

What happened to your company happens every day, with or without companies like Bain. If they don't do this they die and ALL employees lose. {not sarcasm}

Forum List

Back