And just like that….SVB is bailed out

I wonder if this will make Fed Chairman Powell reconsider his 50 basis point hike on March 21.

I wonder if this will make Fed Chairman Powell reconsider his 50 basis point hike on March 21.

Because a bank was making bad loans? He shouldn't do the right thing because a bank was irresponsible?

Investment securities totaled $128.0 billion at December 31, 2021, an increase of $78.7 billion, or 159.5 percent, compared to $49.3 billion at December 31, 2020. Our investment securities portfolio is comprised of: (i) an AFS securities portfolio and a HTM securities portfolio, both of which represents interest-earning fixed income investment securities; and (ii) a non-marketable and other equity securities portfolio, which represents primarily investments managed as part of our funds management business, investments in qualified affordable housing projects, as well as public equity securities held as a result of equity warrant assets exercised. The major components of the change in investment securities are explained below.

See page 66.

That is not what the FDIC is doing. They are covering all depositor losses up to $250,000.

After selling off SVB's assets, anything that is left over will be used to cover whatever liabilities the FDIC feels should go to the depositors.

The taxpayer is not going to bear any costs.
If depositors have 'access' to all their money, it's being guaranteed by the feds. Nothing is free, and all the money the government has access to is ours. Even if other institutions aid in this endeavor, it won't be out of altruism.

The deposit insurance fund is only $128 billion. So how are they going to cover the $200+ billion for this one bank? That money is meant for the insurance of all American’s bank accounts under $250k.
maybe they can borrow money from Ukraine...I hear they are loaded now...thanks Joe you worthless old piece of shit

3B1260F9-1B96-4CFC-988E-BEE0E0A6F5F6.jpeg

Why "going forward"? Why not now?

I am a little peeved at the excuse of removing the regulations as the only reason. Make no mistake, the regulations should have never been removed. Make no mistake also, Biden could have worked to put them back but did not also.

There are still bank regulators that appear to have been sleeping on all of this.
Biden needed Manchin and Sinema to vote in favor of re-instating those regulations.....which of course, they weren't going to do

SVB's failure has nothing to do with wokeness.

It has to do with massive investments in sovereign and corporate bonds that are now all underwater.

A stress test should have revealed this.
Haven't you heard?

Stress tests are woke

Stop peddling horseshit.

I'm not. I made my disclaimer clear.

I acknowledge there's a rational economic explanation for what happened, but this was also an event that was literally caused by ultra wealthy individuals who are blatantly political and who have an interest in shaping the economic/financial/labor/political regime to their liking. And with the kinds of money they possess, they have the power to do it. The plutocrats may not have the collective financial firepower of central banks, but they have the power to foil central bank, treasury, and labor policies they don't like.

So yeah, that's a conspiracy theory of mine -- that and nothing more. But you're naive if you think it's implausible that they would help tank the economy in the short term to get the long term results they want. They want the power to dominate labor and the lower classes, and they want a government that is sympathetic to that end.

Forum List

Back