Analyzing A Practical Minimum Wage

Paying workers less than they need to live on creates a permanent welfare class.

if you don't put them on welfare there is no welfare class.
Welfare is very dangerous becuase it makes people lazy and dependent. We found when Clinton eliminated welfare as we know it by making it workfare fully half decided they no longer needed welfare.

Yet today, fully half of all people on welfare have jobs. There is no reason in hell why someone who gets up and goes to work everyday should have to report to the welfare office every month in order to get by.

Absolutely. Companies should not be allowed to profit from the welfare system. They shouldn't be allowed to hire anyone on public assistance.

Marxist BS. You want to punish corps even if it means crippling human beings with welfare
Since most minimum wage dollars today go to middle class kids living at home, the whole issue is just bullshit.

Absolutely. Companies should not be allowed to profit from the welfare system. They shouldn't be allowed to hire anyone on public assistance.

Agreed. And a practical min wage achieves that.

No it doesn't. It just makes it illegal for anyone to work for less. It forces people on public assistance who might otherwise work.
dear, we know the cure for poverty!! China just saved 60 million from slowly starving to death with capitalism!! Do you read the papers??

absurd since our poor are very rich by African standards. They already get $12,000 a year in free medical care just for starters. You are fundamentally confused about life.

African standards. Get real. Going hungry means going hungry, I don't care what continent you are on. I suppose you are going to tell me next that Americans are living in luxury because we have cellphones too, meanwhile Africans actually have more cellphones per capita than Americans do.

absurd since our poor are very rich by African standards. They already get $12,000 a year in free medical care just for starters. You are fundamentally confused about life.

African standards. Get real. Going hungry means going hungry, I don't care what continent you are on. I suppose you are going to tell me next that Americans are living in luxury because we have cellphones too, meanwhile Africans actually have more cellphones per capita than Americans do.

dear, America's poor are much richer than Africa's poor. Do you understand?

No it doesn't. It just makes it illegal for anyone to work for less. It forces people on public assistance who might otherwise work.
dear, we know the cure for poverty!! China just saved 60 million from slowly starving to death with capitalism!! Do you read the papers??

Ed... for the love of gawd. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

dear, among those 60 million that china saved with capitalism were millions of children. Do you understand? Under liberalism all 60 million would have starved

Since most minimum wage dollars today go to middle class kids living at home, the whole issue is just bullshit.

That is factually incorrect. It also does not account for all of the workers who make more than min wage, but less than a living wage.

Riding the bus wont run you 500 a month. And what the hell are you buying thats "miscellaneous" that costs you 400 a month? Let me guess...weed.

This isn't MY budget. These are national figures and recommended economic practices. Miscellaneous costs can be any number of things from a traffic ticket to a fender bender to a flooded out apartment to school supplies.

So how exactly do you get a traffic ticket or a fender bender when you take the bus?
You will get blown up on this thread. But to tell you the truth it wont be from me because I'm sick of rehashing the same shit every time we get a newb.
I'll just sit back and laugh as you as you try and justify your ridiculous assertations.

There's no bus where I live. And even in places where there is a bus, it often doesn't run late enough to get people to and from late shifts.

Then move. It's not your employers problem where you choose to live.

Moving is an impractical solution. Moving costs a lot of money, and takes a person out of their support network. There is also no guarantee that there will be a job available in the next town.

If you're so poor how much could it possibly cost to move? And who the hell moves before finding a job?
You do understand that most everyone here has worked a min wage job at some point in their lives yet they managed to work their way up.

dear, among those 60 million that china saved with capitalism were millions of children. Do you understand? Under liberalism all 60 million would have starved

Ed, please. Quit while you're ahead. Er.. well, not behind by quite so much.

This isn't MY budget. These are national figures and recommended economic practices. Miscellaneous costs can be any number of things from a traffic ticket to a fender bender to a flooded out apartment to school supplies.

So how exactly do you get a traffic ticket or a fender bender when you take the bus?
You will get blown up on this thread. But to tell you the truth it wont be from me because I'm sick of rehashing the same shit every time we get a newb.
I'll just sit back and laugh as you as you try and justify your ridiculous assertations.

There's no bus where I live. And even in places where there is a bus, it often doesn't run late enough to get people to and from late shifts.

Moving is an impractical solution. Moving costs a lot of money, and takes a person out of their support network. There is also no guarantee that there will be a job available in the next town.

If you're so poor how much could it possibly cost to move? And who the hell moves before finding a job?
You do understand that most everyone here has worked a min wage job at some point in their lives yet they managed to work their way up.
I never made minimum wage for more than a month, without a raise.

When minimum wage would not cut it, hey, I finished college.

Ed, please. Quit while you're ahead. Er.. well, not behind by quite so much.

dear, if you disagree please say exactly why or admit you lack the IQ to be here. Thanks

And many people who were once career professionals are now stuck in min wage jobs.

Okay, so you manage to find a job closer to an urban hub where there is public transportation. Now your rent is higher, and so is the general cost of living. How is that a solution?

And moving does cost money. A moving van, security deposit, travel expenses, etc.

I never made minimum wage for more than a month, without a raise.

When minimum wage would not cut it, hey, I finished college.

Not gonna finish college working 80 hours a week just to support a studio apartment. And getting a 25-cent raise above min wage is not going to get anyone off of welfare.

And many people who were once career professionals are now stuck in min wage jobs.

Okay, so you manage to find a job closer to an urban hub where there is public transportation. Now your rent is higher, and so is the general cost of living. How is that a solution?

And moving does cost money. A moving van, security deposit, travel expenses, etc.

I can find you an apartment in Houston for 600 bucks a month and that includes utilities. And yes it's on a bus route.
Your numbers are bullshit as is your assertation that someone deserves more money just because.

I can find you an apartment in Houston for 600 bucks a month and that includes utilities. And yes it's on a bus route.
Your numbers are bullshit as is your assertation that someone deserves more money just because.

And if everyone who was on welfare in America suddenly up and moved to Houston, there would be no jobs for them there and housing prices would skyrocket.

We aren't talking about more money "just because" either. We are talking about making low wage workers contributing members to society and our economy.

We aren't talking about more money "just because" either. We are talking about making low wage workers contributing members to society and our economy.

No you're not. You're talking about making their jobs illegal.

Forum List

Back