An Observation

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Most of those that claim to be for 'peace' whatever the conflict, in fact are just for the 'other side.'

Did you mean your OP as a joke, Annie?

I disagree.

As far as the Palestinian and Israel conflict, for example, I'd like to see a Palestinian state and the state of Israel living in peace and cooperating to avoid further conflict.

I find the loss of people's lives on both sides equally tragic and agonizing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mean your OP as a joke, Annie?

I disagree.

As far as the Palestinian and Israel conflict, for example, I'd like to see a Palestinian state and the state of Israel living in peace and cooperating to avoid further conflict.

I find the loss of people's lives on both sides equally tragic and agonizing.

But you are rooting for?

But you are rooting for?

I'm rooting for peace. Israel has a right to exist. Palestine has a right to exist. The Palestinians need to replace Hamas before there can be any significant peace making in the region. JMO.

What makes you think it has to be one side is wrong and the other is right? They've both made mistakes. Both sides have legitimate claim to the ancestral land.

The land is sacred to Muslims, Jews and Christians.

Anyone for peace would find particular acts wrong, not particular sides, it seems to me.

Possibly certain acts are being condemned and you are translating it into certain sides being condemned?

I haven't followed the Gaza threads though, been too busy elsewhere.

What makes you think it has to be one side is wrong and the other is right? They've both made mistakes. Both sides have legitimate claim to the ancestral land.

The land is sacred to Muslims, Jews and Christians.

Fine, which side has the 'most' mistakes?

Anyone for peace would find particular acts wrong, not particular sides, it seems to me.

Possibly certain acts are being condemned and you are translating it into certain sides being condemned?

I haven't followed the Gaza threads though, been too busy elsewhere.

Exactly. Both sides are not acting peacefully. They are committing acts of attack and retaliation.

The aggressive actsare what need to be condemned, not the sides.

Fine, which side has the 'most' mistakes?

I get the idea that you think there is some score card somewhere keeping track of which side is making the most mistakes. Is God keeping track?

I get the feeling you have a side, and my guess is that you favor Israel. Is that correct?

I do not favor Israel over Palestine or vice versa.

Exactly. Both sides are not acting peacefully. They are committing acts of attack and retaliation.

Again, for both of you, which side is 'more wrong' or is at war for the wrong reasons?

Simple hog wash. Israel allowed missiles to rain down on her for a WEEK. Then she responded by attacking ONLY military targets. Further Israel allowed for 6 months the same missiles to strike her over and over while she kept the truce.

Again, for both of you, which side is 'more wrong' or is at war for the wrong reasons?

Why don't you answer that for yourself? It's not so simple IMO. Both sides have long histories. It's complex. Where would we begin to look at the cause of this conflict? In the short term? 1949? 2000-4000 years ago?

We, Americans, tend to have a short attention span and we don't always value long term history.

I recommend the book by Madeline Albright called THE MIGHTY AND THE ALMIGHTY. She takes a dispassionate view of the Arab Israeli confict and religious wars in general.

Simple hog wash. Israel allowed missiles to rain down on her for a WEEK. Then she responded by attacking ONLY military targets. Further Israel allowed for 6 months the same missiles to strike her over and over while she kept the truce.
If you want to discuss this specific event, fine. The OP was asking the question rhetorically and I responded in kind.

It's not hogwash. It's just a general view. If you want to talk specifics we can. Those tend to be somewhat endless.

Why don't you answer that for yourself? It's not so simple IMO. Both sides have long histories. It's complex. Where would we begin to look at the cause of this conflict? In the short term? 1949? 2000-4000 years ago?

We, Americans, tend to have a short attention span and we don't always value long term history.

I recommend the book by Madeline Albright called THE MIGHTY AND THE ALMIGHTY. She takes a dispassionate view of the Arab Israeli confict and religious wars in general.

So deep or avoiding? Doesn't matter, the number of posts make it clear.

So deep or avoiding? Doesn't matter, the number of posts make it clear.

What kind of post is this? I have no idea what you are saying. Are you wanting to pick a fight?

Why did you start the thread? What are you fishing for?

What kind of post is this? I have no idea what you are saying. Are you wanting to pick a fight?

Why did you start the thread? What are you fishing for?

Why did you respond? I was making an observation, you were the one jumping in.

Why did you respond? I was making an observation, you were the one jumping in.

Why did I respond? I responded to this thread because the subject interested me and because I thought you may actually be interested in discussing the topic.

I'd love to discuss how to create peace. It starts within.

Most of those that claim to be for 'peace' whatever the conflict, in fact are just for the 'other side.'

I think that's true in some cases. When someone starts a fight and they get their butt kicked, they know that if they play the victim they'll get sympathy from somebody. Then, of course, there are those who truly want peace. That reminds me of an X-File episode where Fox Moulder wished for world peace and everyone on the planet disappeared.

Forum List

Back