An Internet "Kill Switch?"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Jan 25, 2011.

?

Do you support the proposed Presidential powers to pull the plug on internet site?

1. Yes, this is necessary.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Absolutely not. This is a blatant First Amendment violation.

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Yes but only if the language is specific and not subject to different interpretation.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. No clue or other. I'll post a comment.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,402
    Here's another sticky wicket in the works that is sure to evoke strong emotions from all sides of the ideological spectrum.

Some in Congress and the Administration are wanting to give the President power to pull the plug on certain internet sites in times of national emergency.

I can already hear strong libertarian types advocating massive protests. Leftists will be on their soapboxes trumpeting the virtues of giving more essential powers to the central federal government. Conservatives will be wringing their hands at the predictable unintended consequences when a simple legislative power is reinterpreted for nefarious reasons.

And it is possible they will all be right. And it is possible they would all be taking different directions if it was a Bill Clinton or George W. Bush in the oval office rather than Barack Obama.

What say you?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Much ado about nothing---if someone has the ability to do it and wants to shut it down they will and we will argue the legality of it for years.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    I can see no legitimate use for this. What kind of national emergency would it be where the government has the need to pull someone's internet access?

4. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,402
    I don't think this kind of stuff really is much ado about nothing though D. When we shrug off a minor intrusion into our privacy or our freedoms as not worth making a big deal about, we encourage another tiny intrusion. And then another. And then another. And one day we wake up finding ourselves no longer in control of much of anything.

I have used the following modern parable as an illustration for this:

At the same time I know the government needs to be able to ground planes or stop trains or close highways or take other temporary measures to deal with an immediate national crisis. Would the internet be included in that kind of scenario? Wouldn't it also be necessary to shut down all the public telephones and cell phone services to stop 'dangerous' transmissions?

How can that be worded to prevent arbitrary use of that power for political purposes?

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Ohh the same kind of thing we did to Iran? Hack into and mess up their uranium enrichment process. The Israli helped too.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    It can't be ---see Rahms resident status argument for a great example. Any power that we think we have over our government right now is an illusion. It was taken long ago.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    But the most likely thing would be in the event of another major finiancial meltdown to give the finiancial industry some time to regroup and cover their asses.

8. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,792
    I don't know......I'm libertarian and I can understand the possible need. I've been working in financial industry data processing for 31 years now. When I started, there were no PC's, fax machines or internet. I remember the old school way and how the business functions today and it is night and day. In the old days, your paper checks that you wrote were literally sorted on machines and swapped back and forth between banks and the fed. Now it is all image capture and transmitted. In the event that hacker terrorists could actually threaten infrastructure, utilities, banking, etc., there could be a possible need to stop everything just like pulling the airliners out of the sky on 9/11. Possible....but not probable. Of course, having planes smash into skyscrapers wasn't probable either.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,402
    Well that probably isn't the best example to use with me since I am pretty much the lone voice taking Emmanuel's side in that debate. :)

10. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    They become more scared of us everyday....especially when we can retrieve information and news instantly now.