An interesting observation regarding DACA today

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
So I'm on my way to the hospital because of a back injury and knowing the asinine long waits I decide to stop at McDonald's and grab a coffee and biscuit.

Fox News is on the tv as it is every time I come here but today it actually has the volume turned up and about half of the employees are watching intently instead of doing their jobs. DACA is being discussed and I have to wonder why only the Mexican employees are glued to the tv while everyone else is working. Could it be that they are actually fearful that immigration law may for once be enforced properly? It's hard to tell because they're all speaking Spanish instead of English.

Don't get me wrong, I do have pity for those brought here as a baby and are now teens but this issue must be addressed.

I just find it irritating that when dealing with customer service in my home country English is now just an option. A perfect example is calling my utility company to pay my bill and having to press 1 for English several times with each new menu. If you're going to be here fucking assimilate

I dont understand the beef with pressing a button for the language of preference. Thats like entitlement mentality 101.

So I'm on my way to the hospital because of a back injury and knowing the asinine long waits I decide to stop at McDonald's and grab a coffee and biscuit.

Fox News is on the tv as it is every time I come here but today it actually has the volume turned up and about half of the employees are watching intently instead of doing their jobs. DACA is being discussed and I have to wonder why only the Mexican employees are glued to the tv while everyone else is working. Could it be that they are actually fearful that immigration law may for once be enforced properly? It's hard to tell because they're all speaking Spanish instead of English.

Don't get me wrong, I do have pity for those brought here as a baby and are now teens but this issue must be addressed.

I just find it irritating that when dealing with customer service in my home country English is now just an option. A perfect example is calling my utility company to pay my bill and having to press 1 for English several times with each new menu. If you're going to be here fucking assimilate

We have bigger problems in this country than pressing 1 for English

Our ancestors came over with most speaking some other language. If you went to restaurants or stores in those neighborhoods, you would find their native language being spoken....just like that McDonalds

Many immigrants to this country had difficulties picking up English....but their children always did
I think you will find that most covered under DACA speak English...well enough so you wouldn't know they were born in another country

You act like this is somehow different than in the past.....go to cities on the east coast and there are enclaves...there have always been enclaves...where the 1st generation speaks primarily their original language, no matter what the language is.....the 2nd generation speaks both that language and English, but neither fluently...and the 3rd generation is all English speaking.

• Banned
  • Banned
I dont understand the beef with pressing a button for the language of preference. Thats like entitlement mentality 101.
I don't understand the beef with enforcing the law. That IS entitlement mentality.
Making everyone speak English is the law?
Not illegally entering our country is. Expecting to just be left alone despite being illegal is entitlement
Why do you assume that all those who enter the country illegally speak Spanish?

I don't understand the beef with enforcing the law. That IS entitlement mentality.
Not illegally entering our country is. Expecting to just be left alone despite being illegal is entitlement
I don't. Stop projecting

I don't. Stop projecting
So...why do your examples and complaints all revolve around Spanish speakers?

I don't. Stop projecting
So...why do your examples and complaints all revolve around Spanish speakers?
Because that was today's observation as explained in the op. Did you bother to read it

We have bigger problems in this country than pressing 1 for English

Our ancestors came over with most speaking some other language. If you went to restaurants or stores in those neighborhoods, you would find their native language being spoken....just like that McDonalds

Many immigrants to this country had difficulties picking up English....but their children always did
I think you will find that most covered under DACA speak English...well enough so you wouldn't know they were born in another country

So excuses for allowing illegals to stay?

My Baba and Gido were proud to have conquered the English language. To master English is no small feat. And yes, they did everything they could to assimilate but still held on to their heritage. Consequently I went to a Ukrainian school to learn to read and write in Ukrainian and of course dancing lessons as well. But in the home, everyone spoke English.

And most certainly in public English was spoken. It was considered rude to speak anything other than English in front of others.

Usted no habla Espanol?

My Baba and Gido were proud to have conquered the English language. To master English is no small feat. And yes, they did everything they could to assimilate but still held on to their heritage. Consequently I went to a Ukrainian school to learn to read and write in Ukrainian and of course dancing lessons as well. But in the home, everyone spoke English.

And most certainly in public English was spoken. It was considered rude to speak anything other than English in front of others.
But not the Queen's English so you did it wrong...

Food grief! Entitlement mentality? Surely you jest.
Not at all. A Nation's necessity for not breaching a singular language barrier only rests on its Citizens' inability to learn.

Aside from that, Language was only invented to communicate. I dont see the nostalgia for it in today's age ----- I think the entire earth could benefit if we let all Languages but one become extinct.

Last, is technology. There is currently real time translator ear pieces you can buy which are amazing. This eliminates the "necessity" for some uniform language within any particular Country; albeit, itd be more efficient to have one for Earth as a whole.

Forum List

Back