an example of a CEO that is worth his pay

sitarro said:
The Mac uses an operating system designed specifically for MACs.

I suppose it depends on how you define "designed specifically for". OS X is based on a hodge- podge of proprietary Apple software, Free BSD and Mach

"The core of Mac OS X is an open source Unix-like operating system, built around the XNU kernel with standard Unix facilities available from the command line interface. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

"XNU is the name of the kernel that Apple develops for use in the Mac OS X operating system and releases as open source as part of the Darwin operating system. It is a hybrid kernel combining the Mach kernel developed at Carnegie Mellon University with components from the FreeBSD kernel as well as a C++ API for writing drivers called IOKit. XNU is an acronym for X is Not Unix.[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU

Said1 said:
The battery in mine, now doesn't last longer than 30 min also not strong enough to change the songs. The piece of shit is 2yrs old, almost to the day.

Apple doesn't make the battery. Except for the battery in the Nikon I use, I haven't found a rechargable battery that works worth a crap in anything. My ipod plays flawlessly for at least 6 hours between charges and I extend the use with Belkin's external battery. Everything you do with the player causes battery drain, the EQ settings, the panel light, etc. The harddrive in it is the weakest part of the design and is in the process of being phased out with models such as the nano. What should they do, make a bigger, clunkier player with a battery door. To get a slim design you are forced to use a much flatter battery that you aren't going to find at Walgreens, of course there will be problems.
You can buy a replacement battery with tools and directions for 29 dollars.

Said1 said:
iProduct.gif
Welcome to my world of cynicism ;)

sitarro said:
Apple doesn't make the battery. Except for the battery in the Nikon I use, I haven't found a rechargable battery that works worth a crap in anything. My ipod plays flawlessly for at least 6 hours between charges and I extend the use with Belkin's external battery. Everything you do with the player causes battery drain, the EQ settings, the panel light, etc. The harddrive in it is the weakest part of the design and is in the process of being phased out with models such as the nano. What should they do, make a bigger, clunkier player with a battery door. To get a slim design you are forced to use a much flatter battery that you aren't going to find at Walgreens, of course there will be problems.

Apple doesn't make the battery, but they undoubtedly created the specifications it had to meet.

The original replaceable battery for my 5 yo Dell laptop still lasts about 90% of original. The $15 replaceable NiMH AA batteries for my Canon A75 last hours and hours at a time. The replaceable Li-Ion battery for my Canon 20D lasts for 1000+ shots. In fact, I've only had to charge it 3 times since Christmas.

Rechargeable batteries can, and do, last plenty long in other devices. Why didn't Apple specify a better battery? Especially inexcusable is making it non-replaceable without taking the damn Ipod apart.

sitarro said:

Ok. IPOD good. Battery bad. Still, Apple uses them don't they?

Also, the cost of the IPOD vs the life span of the battery is not worth it IMHO. Plus buying a replacement battery and tools at the risk of frying the IPOD for good is not such a good idea either. I've seen those kits on the internet, you're better off spending the $100 plus dollars to send it in if you have the recipt. Still, the fact that you have to do so is stupid.

misterblu said:
Apple doesn't make the battery, but they undoubtedly created the specifications it had to meet.

The original replaceable battery for my 5 yo Dell laptop still lasts about 90% of original. The $15 replaceable NiMH AA batteries for my Canon A75 last hours and hours at a time. The replaceable Li-Ion battery for my Canon 20D lasts for 1000+ shots. In fact, I've only had to charge it 3 times since Christmas.

Rechargeable batteries can, and do, last plenty long in other devices. Why didn't Apple specify a better battery? Especially inexcusable is making it non-replaceable without taking the damn Ipod apart.
One should suspect shenaniganry when you realize that the original IPOD design had no way of replacing the battery, and when it died, Apple just told you to buy a new one, because sending it in to get the battery replaced would cost almost as much.

They knew from the start that if they created a disposable mp3 player that needed replacement every 1-2 years, well, hello consistent revenue.

Any time you have a product with design flaws as blatant and basic as the battery issue, the entire product becomes suspect. But people just eat that shit up; hooray marketing.

Rechargeable batteries all have a pre-determined life span, usually based on the number of recharges. A battery could last years or months, depending on how you use it.

Said1 said:

I am always amazed at the effort Windows people will put into criticizing Apple while ignoring the incredible amount of shortcomings of their own operating system. I don't care if someone wants to use a window box, it's their choice. Just as in cars or the way you wear your hat or even the camera you use, it is a personal choice. I do know that after 18 years of using Apple products for illustrating, photograph manipulation, book layout and production or internet use, I and my 4 brothers have never had a single problem with the 30 machines we have used in our business. We have also never been treated to a virus or anything like that.
Cute little ad but not very creative. That is what I have grown to expect from a windows user. . . copy and change a few things. . . probably took them months to do it, like the years it took Gates to copy Apple's operating system.

sitarro said:
I am always amazed at the effort Windows people will put into criticizing Apple while ignoring the incredible amount of shortcomings of their own operating system. I don't care if someone wants to use a window box, it's their choice. Just as in cars or the way you wear your hat or even the camera you use, it is a personal choice. I do know that after 18 years of using Apple products for illustrating, photograph manipulation, book layout and production or internet use, I and my 4 brothers have never had a single problem with the 30 machines we have used in our business. We have also never been treated to a virus or anything like that.
Cute little ad but not very creative. That is what I have grown to expect from a windows user. . . copy and change a few things. . . probably took them months to do it, like the years it took Gates to copy Apple's operating system.
=
sitarro said:

The ClayTaurus said:

Hey Clay,
I was in Vegas last week to work on a golf course there and rented a Mustang convertible. It had the stock six in it and felt very heavy. I was cruising down Sahara Blvd. one night listening to my iPod which I had sitting on the dash transmitting to the rental car's sound system. I drove by a parking lot that was filled with overdone riceburners and laughed of course. The next light I came upon an RX-8, I looked over and gave the guy a look like he just cut a fart and he started reving his wankle. I laughed and when the light turned green he took off. I had an automatic that could be shifted so I dropped it down into first and went after him. Not only did I catch him, I overtook him before coming to the next light. This time we both left at the same time and it was a joke, he couldn't keep up with this heavy six cylinder powered Mustang? The next light was just before the entrance to I-15. When it turned green he tried to cut me off from the entrance but I went around him and accelerated through the turn to get on the highway, he was covered in dust.
I don't get it. I thought that car is suppose to be fast and yet it couldn't even come close to hanging with an old man driving a rental Mustang with a 6, he even had a loud exhaust system to make him feel faster. That Mustang handled like shit too but my iPod never left the dash. :D
Did Mazda hire a Saturn designer? The more I look at that car the more it looks like a Saturn. :D

sitarro said:
Hey Clay,
I was in Vegas last week to work on a golf course there and rented a Mustang convertible. It had the stock six in it and felt very heavy. I was cruising down Sahara Blvd. one night listening to my iPod which I had sitting on the dash transmitting to the rental car's sound system. I drove by a parking lot that was filled with overdone riceburners and laughed of course. The next light I came upon an RX-8, I looked over and gave the guy a look like he just cut a fart and he started reving his wankle. I laughed and when the light turned green he took off. I had an automatic that could be shifted so I dropped it down into first and went after him. Not only did I catch him, I overtook him before coming to the next light. This time we both left at the same time and it was a joke, he couldn't keep up with this heavy six cylinder powered Mustang? The next light was just before the entrance to I-15. When it turned green he tried to cut me off from the entrance but I went around him and accelerated through the turn to get on the highway, he was covered in dust.
I don't get it. I thought that car is suppose to be fast and yet it couldn't even come close to hanging with an old man driving a rental Mustang with a 6, he even had a loud exhaust system to make him feel faster. That Mustang handled like shit too but my iPod never left the dash. :D
Did Mazda hire a Saturn designer? The more I look at that car the more it looks like a Saturn. :D

I had no idea they made mustangs with autosticks... certainly news to me. And "you dropped it down to first and took off"? What does that mean? You weren't in first? Are you sure you know how to drive?

Was it an automatic RX-8? It sounds like the guy had no clue how to drive. Even if he did, the 8 isn't a torque monster, but it figures you would only judge the merit of a car based on how fast you can get off the line.

I don't care who beats me off the line; you won't stay with me around corners.

You can keep flapping your gums, but you already said you thought the Pontiac Montana handled like a car. You either 1) are an idiot or 2) have never driven a car that could handle. Either way, your opinion is not to be trusted. I find it funny you laugh at the ricers; you've just done an excellent job of exhibiting their thought process when evaluating the quality of a car. Good job :thup:

Seriously though, have I demoralized your overpriced, hipster scum, candy-coated, warddrobe matching, fashion statement macs so much that you just give up on trying to refute? I thought you would have figured out by now that what you think of my car or the orientation of my hat means little to me. Keep it up though, it's fun to watch you so desperately flounder ;)

Here, have a drink on me:
geritol.gif

The ClayTaurus said:
I had no idea they made mustangs with autosticks... certainly news to me. And "you dropped it down to first and took off"? What does that mean? You weren't in first? Are you sure you know how to drive?

Really, if Clay hasn't heard of something it doesn't exist, sounds a bit like a God complex to me kid. With an automatic transmission you have a choice, you can leave it in drive so it will decide when to shift or you can put the stick in 1st so you can control when to shift. This way I could redline the tach before shifting to 2nd. Shiftable automatics with a stick on the floor have been around for many years, where have you been?

The ClayTaurus said:
Was it an automatic RX-8? It sounds like the guy had no clue how to drive. Even if he did, the 8 isn't a torque monster, but it figures you would only judge the merit of a car based on how fast you can get off the line.

Why should his transmission matter, I was driving an automatic. He was definitely younger than me, shouldn't that have made up for lack of driving skill. I am not judging the entire car on how fast it is off the line, I am judging it on how ugly of a body it has and then saying that I have found that it also doesn't perform that well for something that looks like that. I figured great performance would be it's redeeming quality.

The ClayTaurus said:
I don't care who beats me off the line; you won't stay with me around corners.

I covered that also when I said that I passed the asswipe in the turn and left him behind entering the Interstate.

The ClayTaurus said:
You can keep flapping your gums, but you already said you thought the Pontiac Montana handled like a car. You either 1) are an idiot or 2) have never driven a car that could handle. Either way, your opinion is not to be trusted. I find it funny you laugh at the ricers; you've just done an excellent job of exhibiting their thought process when evaluating the quality of a car. Good job :thup:

Your still on that misinterpretation? I was talking about the way the Montana handled more like a car than an SUV, is that not true?
I believe I listed for you the cars I have owned over the years and one was a Porsche 911, I know that isn't a Japanese piece of shit but most in the automotive world have a little more respect for it than some Suzy sorority hipster car like yours. I have no idea what the quality of your car is, I just know that it is butt ugly and didn't have to be, the designers were obviously fired by Saturn.

The ClayTaurus said:
Seriously though, have I demoralized your overpriced, hipster scum, candy-coated, warddrobe matching, fashion statement macs so much that you just give up on trying to refute? I thought you would have figured out by now that what you think of my car or the orientation of my hat means little to me. Keep it up though, it's fun to watch you so desperately flounder ;)

Just thought that my thrashing your"sports car" with a rental might be interesting to you.
I felt that I said everything I needed to say when I stated that in the last 18 years my brothers and I have used Macs and have never had a virus or any other semi major problem with any of them. Usually the only problems happen when we foolishly use some microsoft(emphasis on soft)shitware like Explorer.
By the way, aren't you the guy that dresses in pants that are too big and wear a hat backwards, and you are making fun of the cloths that Mac users wear? You follow the lack of style of loser, notalent, asswipes and you criticise others, thats rich. Have you capped your front teeth in gold yet, how about the 50 necklaces and the big clock?

The ClayTaurus said:
Here, have a drink on me:
geritol.gif

You too will reach my age(if your lucky) and the world will be full of asswipes that think they are so much smarter and talented than you. . . it's the stupidity of youth, enjoy it.
I am sure of one thing, there is no way you would out drive me on a race track.... just wouldn't happen.

sitarro said:
Really, if Clay hasn't heard of something it doesn't exist, sounds a bit like a God complex to me kid. With an automatic transmission you have a choice, you can leave it in drive so it will decide when to shift or you can put the stick in 1st so you can control when to shift. This way I could redline the tach before shifting to 2nd. Shiftable automatics with a stick on the floor have been around for many years, where have you been?
Oh you silly old man, I never said I hadn't heard of semi-manual transmissions, just that I'd never heard Ford put them in the Mustang.
sitarro said:
Why should his transmission matter, I was driving an automatic. He was definitely younger than me, shouldn't that have made up for lack of driving skill. I am not judging the entire car on how fast it is off the line, I am judging it on how ugly of a body it has and then saying that I have found that it also doesn't perform that well for something that looks like that. I figured great performance would be it's redeeming quality.
His transmission matters because the automatic is significantly slower than the manual. Age means nothing when it comes to driving ability, so no, his youth doesn't mean he's a better driver than you. Being a better driver means he's a better driver than you, which, it sounds like was NOT the case. It's funny, you've never even sat in one, yet you feel you can judge it's performance ability. Using that logic, that Lambo that you posted earlier that crashed into a pole, that piece of shit must not handle very well either. What a piece of garbage!
sitarro said:
I covered that also when I said that I passed the asswipe in the turn and left him behind entering the Interstate.
I could pass a miata going around a curve if I was driving a semi. Does that mean the semi handles better than the miata? No. It means the guy behind the miata either wasn't trying or doesn't know how to drive. A mustang of any vintage will not stay with an RX-8 through curves. It will beat the 8 off the line (at least the V8's will), but it's too heavy and has too shitty a suspension to take the curves as good as the RX-8 does.
sitarro said:
Your still on that misinterpretation? I was talking about the way the Montana handled more like a car than an SUV, is that not true? I believe I listed for you the cars I have owned over the years and one was a Porsche 911, I know that isn't a Japanese piece of shit but most in the automotive world have a little more respect for it than some Suzy sorority hipster car like yours. I have no idea what the quality of your car is, I just know that it is butt ugly and didn't have to be, the designers were obviously fired by Saturn.
The montana handles much more like an SUV than a car. Sluggish doesn't even begin to describe what that POS handles like. I don't know how my car could be a hipster car. If anything, your porsche is more of a hipster car than my mazda is. Hipsters buy BMW's. You should know that, you like them, after all. I can just see you , toupee waving in the air, listening to Creed on your IPOD through your shitty FM modulator, thinking you look all bad ass in your 3 series.
sitarro said:
Just thought that my thrashing your"sports car" with a rental might be interesting to you.
But you didn't. You thrashed some retard who didn't know how to drive.
sitarro said:
I felt that I said everything I needed to say when I stated that in the last 18 years my brothers and I have used Macs and have never had a virus or any other semi major problem with any of them. Usually the only problems happen when we foolishly use some microsoft(emphasis on soft)shitware like Explorer.
Gee, why would you even have to use Microsoft products on your holy grail of a box? I thought those things did everything better!??!?
sitarro said:
By the way, aren't you the guy that dresses in pants that are too big and wear a hat backwards, and you are making fun of the cloths that Mac users wear? You follow the lack of style of loser, notalent, asswipes and you criticise others, thats rich. Have you capped your front teeth in gold yet, how about the 50 necklaces and the big clock?
I was making fun of the fact that Mac spends more effort MARKETING to suckers like you by making them look clean than actually making a competitively priced machine. They're apparently making money though, so I guess good for them. Ask yourself this: If an IPOD battery replacement kit costs 30 bucks, how come Apple charges you 70+ to do it?
sitarro said:
You too will reach my age(if your lucky) and the world will be full of asswipes that think they are so much smarter and talented than you. . . it's the stupidity of youth, enjoy it.

I am sure of one thing, there is no way you would out drive me on a race track.... just wouldn't happen.
I don't know how you're sure of that; you've never even seen me drive. Have you been playing this game again?
jitcrunch.aspx

sitarro said:

So tell me, what has Mac done to resolve the battery problem with their latest IPOD products? Aside from mailing it in for battery replacement?

And incidently, I've also owned a Mac. Aside from the usual compatibility problems and the fact that it just up and died one day without warning, I had no real issues with the machine. My problem is with the IPOD. I'm really amazed at how anyone could justify charging $260.00 CDN for an item that will only last for approx 2 yrs. That, combined with the idea that there are people out there that will not only try and make excuses for that, they will also run out and buy another one probably knowing full well they can expect the same issue to reoccure is what makes the joke so funny. :)

Said1 said:
So tell me, what has Mac done to resolve the battery problem with their latest IPOD products? Aside from mailing it in for battery replacement?

And incidently, I've also owned a Mac. Aside from the usual compatibility problems and the fact that it just up and died one day without warning, I had no real issues with the machine. My problem is with the IPOD. I'm really amazed at how anyone could justify charging $260.00 CDN for an item that will only last for approx 2 yrs. That, combined with the idea that there are people out there that will not only try and make excuses for that, they will also run out and buy another one probably knowing full well they can expect the same issue to reoccure is what makes the joke so funny. :)

How much should an iPod cost? What would a fair price be? How much is design quality worth? Would it be better if it had a door on the back and you could stuff your own batteries in it? It is very slim, slimmer than anything else out there that holds as much info, should that size be compromised in order to be able to put cheap batteries in it?

$260 for 2 years of enjoyment and then only 29 dollars for it to play again, that isn't that bad of an investment. You can pay that much for dinner, hell, I sold Mont Blanc pens for 3 times that much 10 years ago and they didn't write any better than a 50 cent Bic. How about a Rolex, 15 grand for a gaudy, heavy watch that doesnt do as much as a 25 dollar Casio.

How about 4000 dollars for a television that will be obsolete in a few years if it works that long. Or 500 dollars for a cellphone that still drops calls but you can access the internet and take really poor quality pictures with it? They know that the phones will only last a year or 2, how dare they charge so much.

It's new technology, it's not va 50s transister radio, nobody knows how long they will last or even be worth keeping. No sooner did we buy all of the CD versions of albums we had on vinyl, technology has got us storing music on hard drives. That hard drive technology is definitely on it's way out and will be replaced by flash cards. I remember only a few years ago that a gigabite flash card for a camera was 1000 dollars, now they are under 150 and you can get an 8 gig.

The point is. . . you are focusing on the battery life and saying that the iPod concept is a piece of shit, I see it as a music system that I can carry 15,ooo songs or 25,000 digital photographs anywhere I go and the control and catalog system works extremely well with a touch wheel that a chimp could work. The sound quality is also better than any other player that I have used and even the earbuds sound better than any other earbuds I have used. To me the battery problem is a nessessary evil that I hope will be addressed. I have the same problem with my cell phone, if you talk much you better carry an extra battery or be next to a charger because the battery life is shit. I have my iPod on all day while I am working on golf courses, I need an auxillary battery, that simple. Belkin makes one that has the ability to use rechargeable or regular batteries, I have one on order.

Part of what makes the iPod special is the amazing amount of aftermarket companies that make extras for it. Oh and Clay, your simplistic explanation for why the auto manufacturers have installed iPod compatible systems in their new car lines is wrong. Many were going ahead with these installations long before iPod became the phenomena it is today.

Apple is a lot like President Bush, many people have a venomous hatred for them both and they can't even tell you why.

sitarro said:
Oh and Clay, your simplistic explanation for why the auto manufacturers have installed iPod compatible systems in their new car lines is wrong. Many were going ahead with these installations long before iPod became the phenomena it is today.
Oh really? How do you know?
sitarro said:
Apple is a lot like President Bush, many people have a venomous hatred for them both and they can't even tell you why.
I've told you why I have a venomous hatred for Apple. Multiple times. :lalala: = You

sitarro said:
How much should an iPod cost? What would a fair price be? How much is design quality worth? Would it be better if it had a door on the back and you could stuff your own batteries in it? It is very slim, slimmer than anything else out there that holds as much info, should that size be compromised in order to be able to put cheap batteries in it?

$260 for 2 years of enjoyment and then only 29 dollars for it to play again, that isn't that bad of an investment. You can pay that much for dinner, hell, I sold Mont Blanc pens for 3 times that much 10 years ago and they didn't write any better than a 50 cent Bic. How about a Rolex, 15 grand for a gaudy, heavy watch that doesnt do as much as a 25 dollar Casio.

How about 4000 dollars for a television that will be obsolete in a few years if it works that long. Or 500 dollars for a cellphone that still drops calls but you can access the internet and take really poor quality pictures with it? They know that the phones will only last a year or 2, how dare they charge so much.

It's new technology, it's not va 50s transister radio, nobody knows how long they will last or even be worth keeping. No sooner did we buy all of the CD versions of albums we had on vinyl, technology has got us storing music on hard drives. That hard drive technology is definitely on it's way out and will be replaced by flash cards. I remember only a few years ago that a gigabite flash card for a camera was 1000 dollars, now they are under 150 and you can get an 8 gig.

The point is. . . you are focusing on the battery life and saying that the iPod concept is a piece of shit, I see it as a music system that I can carry 15,ooo songs or 25,000 digital photographs anywhere I go and the control and catalog system works extremely well with a touch wheel that a chimp could work. The sound quality is also better than any other player that I have used and even the earbuds sound better than any other earbuds I have used. To me the battery problem is a nessessary evil that I hope will be addressed. I have the same problem with my cell phone, if you talk much you better carry an extra battery or be next to a charger because the battery life is shit. I have my iPod on all day while I am working on golf courses, I need an auxillary battery, that simple. Belkin makes one that has the ability to use rechargeable or regular batteries, I have one on order.

Part of what makes the iPod special is the amazing amount of aftermarket companies that make extras for it. Oh and Clay, your simplistic explanation for why the auto manufacturers have installed iPod compatible systems in their new car lines is wrong. Many were going ahead with these installations long before iPod became the phenomena it is today.

Defend it all you want, I just find it pathetic that they keep coming out with new products without address ONE serious shortcoming. $260 would have been a very big investment for me and I don't find it unreasonable to expect it to last more than 2 yrs - despite all your "what if" scenarios.

Also, is the warrenty still valid if you fry your IPOD using one of the battery kits? What happens in that case?

BTW, the sound quality is way better with my Sony MD. But that's not that same thing, so no comparison, right?

… I came upon an RX-8, I looked over and gave the guy a look like he just cut a fart and he started reving his wankle. I laughed and when the light turned green he took off. I had an automatic that could be shifted so I dropped it down into first and went after him. Not only did I catch him, I overtook him before coming to the next light. This time we both left at the same time and it was a joke, he couldn't keep up with this heavy six cylinder powered Mustang? The next light was just before the entrance to I-15. When it turned green he tried to cut me off from the entrance but I went around him and accelerated through the turn to get on the highway, he was covered in dust…..

I had a similar experience when back in the late 80's when I used to have a FOX chassis TBird. I kept beating this guy in a ricer through a series of lights, and he got so mad he cut me off and raced onto a two lane ramp onto the Interstate. He got it up to about 60 and I followed right behind him but in the right lane. When we got to the right hand curve I hit the accelerator, hooking up the rear end and steering the car with the gas pedal. I looked in my rear view and he had nearly spun out and was literally in a cloud of dust.

Forum List

Back